Update

Loulou

Hi all, just an update and possibly some kind of reassurance for those emigrating soon! I emigrated on the 2nd May on a 189 visa, and despite terrible flights due to the children coming down with a sickness bug and myself the flu it has been great! We did not ship anything just came with our 2 children and 30 kg each!

Medicare - Registered the day after arriving as I was unwell, walked into a surgery once registered and given antibiotics without hesitation (had already been to go in UK day before flying as I knew I was developing a chest infection however would not prescribe being a nurse I knew I needed them) cost me 16 dollars for prescription just make sure you find a surgery that bulk bills. (Took out one way travel insurance to see us from uk to Oz which covered us for 5 days with go walkabout)

Bank - I had already opened a bank account with NAB prior to arriving and funds had already been transferred with halo financial. Walked into the local branch, showed my passport and way to go cards provided there and then. If you open a joint account you both need to attend.

House rental- we viewed 6 houses over a period of two days around halls head and mandurah and fell in love with one in halls head! Applied on Thursday and received the lease on the Friday we move in on the 16th ( booked 3 wks in an apartment so we have a week crossover to buy furniture etc as not shipped). 400 dollars a week a bargain in halls head!

Car- Rented a car for two weeks and secured a car we like today the cars appear to be in better condition than in the UK despite being older iam no expert though, picked up a car for 7500 dollars.

Furniture - We decided not to ship as I have said but been furniture shopping and very reasonable will probably amount to the same cost or just over the price of shipping! Fantastic furniture does great packages don't know about the quality but appear ok ( not spending g a fortune only bear nesseties just in case we don't settle, buying mid range priced things)

Weather- We purposefully emigrated in may to try and climatise with the weather don't know if it will work lol but didn't fancy doing all this in the summer months! Some rain but temperatures 20 degrees no coats only hoodies required.

Children- They have appeared to adjust very well although early days. My son has already bought a fishing rod he is 11 and have done some fishing with the husband, seeing dolphins for the first time was amazing! My daughter is 13 and also looking to buy a bike to get around! Lots for the children in regards to skate parks and parks.

Shopping- We have started as we mean to go on as no jobs yet and don't want to eat into our saving so did a weekly shop on arrival at big w prices much like the UK as far as I can tell.

Jobs- Both myself and husband are in talks regarding jobs but nothing final yet but there appears to be availability iam a icu nurse and him a handyman type of worker. Would like a few weeks off to explore so not panicking at the minute.

Homesickness - Early days I know but surprisingly been ok face time and Skype are amazing! Iam very lucky that my family are already planning their visits!

Mobile phones- we all bought our phones outright back home ( kids had theirs for xmas) I then ordered four amaysin simply cards online in the UK popped them in registred them and put credit on 2 days befote travelling inserted them on arrival at Perth airport and way to go! Handy app to to keep an eye on kids credit and data!

Next job is to finish furniture shopping and sort out school their catchment area is in halls head so planning on going for a look this week.

Very long post but thought this may help some people as I recall the sleepless nights worrying over these type of things! Once we have moved in we plan to explore mandurah which appears amazing! Very early days I know but being ill and so busy I still know we have done the right thing! Good luck to all and any questions that I may be able to help with feel free to ask!

This site and its members helped me so much through this process so a big thank you!

Just one tip don't underestimate how tough the goodbyes will be it is one of the hardest things I have ever done and my husbandaughter has said the same, particularly seeing get my 11 year old sob it was heartbreaking and you do wonder if it's the right decision but this is think is normal oh and be prepared and research, research research prior to arrival to make things go smoothly.

Loulou

Edited by Loulou

Great to see things are falling into place for you, i totally agree about those horrible goodbyes, i can still recall them now almost 10 years later !!

It would be great if you could also post in the Reccie/ Arrival section or on this thread - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories.html so prospective migrants get an idea of whats awaiting them..

Lots of luck with everything and fingers crossed for you both on the job front.

Cal x

Great read, glad all going well for you so far! A ittle under 4 weeks for us, although we're just doing an activation trip, plan is to open bank and sort Ahpra now, then travel Asia for a few months before coming back to Aus in December.

Edited by mgreaves

Great to hear it's going so well.

The only comment I'd make is about the furniture. Fantastic Furniture is probably the cheapest furniture store in Australia and the quality isn't good. It's fine as a stop-gap, but it does mean you'll probably need to budget to replace it sooner than you expect. So while it might seem like not shipping was the right decision, it may cost you more in the long run.

In the grand scheme of migration costs it's not a big deal and the main thing is it's all working for you - just making a comment for the sake of other people who might be influenced by your comment.

@Loulou Great insight! Thank you. We leave in 8 weeks! Can I ask where abouts did you go for the car?? We have a holiday let for 8 weeks while we find our feet and decide where we want to live plus we are shipping everything over. Fingers crossed it pans out. I've just agreed my starting date for work (chemotherapy nurse in the community) and my daughter has been given a place at school (she's only 5years). Eeek! I'm desperately throwing stuff out, in an attempt to sort the house out! Lol

Keep your eye on Gumtree in Perth for good deals on furniture a lot of people moving back and you can get high quality items cheap..

When I moved over to Perth I simply could not rent a house there was at least ten families at home opens... How times change..

There's the buy and sell pages on Facebook as well. You can pick up some bits and bobs on those, some people seem to live on there mind so you have to be quick! I've bought a lawnmower, chest of drawers (for visitors) and bar stools amongst other things to tide us over. Halls Head is nice we are just down the road, but in Halls Head quite a lot as friends live there and our son plays for Mandurah City.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all sorry for the late reply been so busy! We looked for on gumtree and carsales.com. I do agree with the comment regarding furniture, fantastic furniture is not great quality but for us it will see us through until we are finacially stable. Good luck to you all xx

Hi mcgreaves are you the same on as on british expat site if so i understand you done ahpra for your wife just wondering if you knew the fit 2 work check is only valid for 3 months so when i went for identification i could not be registered as i had to apply for check again. If i had known i would have done it from the UK prior to leaving. Good luck. If not the same mgreaves i send my apologies.

I know i didnt know either if you go on the fit 2 work website it does state i was so frustrated as now my registration is held up again! Thats why i thought i would give you the heads up so you can do it before you leave it should be through then. I thought it lasted a year more money again!

Hi i just went on their website in the Uk paid for 4 sims to be delivered to a UK address. Activated them as pay as you go and topped them up day before i left. Popped them in in Perth airport and no issues. Just one issue but no big drama had to change to telstra when we moved to halls head as no signal in our house.

Hi i just went on their website in the Uk paid for 4 sims to be delivered to a UK address. Activated them as pay as you go and topped them up day before i left. Popped them in in Perth airport and no issues. Just one issue but no big drama had to change to telstra when we moved to halls head as no signal in our house.

Hi loulou, you seem to be a few days ahead of us! We arrived on the 6th and moved to halls head on the 20th!

We also have amaysim Sims, and can't get any signal. We went into the Optus shop (optus powers amaysim) and they said that there is a mast outage and they didn't know for how long it would be down. Have you been told any different? Telstra seems a lot more expensive!! This has been our only issue so far!

To be honest didnt ask because dont think thats the case because if i go to bottom of drive or laudry i get signal with amaysin. Dont find teltra to bad on pricevto be honest nought a 2 dollar sim added 20 credit and got an extra 20 credit and 2.5 data free. However iam have hadxa package from telstra with foxtel house phone and internet but no internet connection with package since connection this i know is due to the outage. Where abouts in halls head are you how are you finding it ?

Hi mcgreaves are you the same on as on british expat site if so i understand you done ahpra for your wife just wondering if you knew the fit 2 work check is only valid for 3 months so when i went for identification i could not be registered as i had to apply for check again. If i had known i would have done it from the UK prior to leaving. Good luck. If not the same mgreaves i send my apologies.

Hi Lou - we are arriving at the beginning of July. I had my aphra granted in principle at the beginning of feb. does this mean I also need to do the fit to work again. I know I need to get the nmc to send through the certificate of good standing again which I'm organizing at the beginning of June so it arrives the beginning of July. I'm suppose to be starting work on the 18th July. Thanks Sam x

Hi samjwill iam sure you have to like i said on fit 2 eirk website it does state only valid for 3 months so i would do it from uk so its valid (no expert though). Didnt have to resend nmc letter of good standing just signed a declaration form at office. Good luck.

Hi samjwill iam sure you have to like i said on fit 2 eirk website it does state only valid for 3 months so i would do it from uk so its valid (no expert though). Didnt have to resend nmc letter of good standing just signed a declaration form at office. Good luck.

@Loulou I've just spoken to Aphra to confirm and I don't need a new fit to work but I do need to send through a new certificate of good standing as that is what was requested in my acceptance letter in principle. Weird.

To be honest didnt ask because dont think thats the case because if i go to bottom of drive or laudry i get signal with amaysin. Dont find teltra to bad on pricevto be honest nought a 2 dollar sim added 20 credit and got an extra 20 credit and 2.5 data free. However iam have hadxa package from telstra with foxtel house phone and internet but no internet connection with package since connection this i know is due to the outage. Where abouts in halls head are you how are you finding it ?

Yeah I think we might change to telstra as well. We've been into mandurah and the signal is poor there too. We haven't got broadband connected until next week and we will be with foxtel. We are in seascapes, it's going ok. We are just hoping to get jobs soon.

Aww got to say amaysin had a very good signal in mandurah but no good in our rental no problems with telstra sims. Aww we are in seascapes too! Are you here with a family or a couple what so you bith do if you dont mi d me asking?

Aww got to say amaysin had a very good signal in mandurah but no good in our rental no problems with telstra sims. Aww we are in seascapes too! Are you here with a family or a couple what so you bith do if you dont mi d me asking?

Really! It's just me, my husband, and our cat (who arrived on Monday). We are loving it around here, it's fab! We just need to find work...husband is an auto electrician and I'm looking at local/state government. Fingers crossed. Have you managed to get jobs yet? I see you're a nurse so it's probably a lot of red tape to get through I would imagine?

Yeah its a lovely area iam here with my husband and two children. I have joined an agency and hoping for a permenant post once the freeze lifts ( currently a freeze on public hospital nurse jobs).My husband is a handyman so looking for work. Good luck with everthing xx