Good suburbs for a young family?

ClareG

Hi all,

We are moving to Perth in the new year from Brisbane for work and would like any advice on what suburbs are good for a young family? Not too far from the city and quite close to the beach. We like a village/high street community (like Bulimba in Brisbane).

Thanks for any advice!

I would suggest Freo area! Rental prices have definitely come down, with fremantle area you get the laid back relaxed feeling, beach is very close by, great community feel, good access to both public and private schools, its a lovely place! A very short train commute to the city,but if you prefer to drive just get up early! My hubby leaves the house at 6am and is at his desk by 6.20 max!

• 1 month later...
I would suggest Freo area! Rental prices have definitely come down, with fremantle area you get the laid back relaxed feeling, beach is very close by, great community feel, good access to both public and private schools, its a lovely place! A very short train commute to the city,but if you prefer to drive just get up early! My hubby leaves the house at 6am and is at his desk by 6.20 max!

I would ditto Freo area though you would struggle for a family home on that budget - not many places in Perth have a villagey feel and those that I can think of with the exception of Guildford would all be even more expensive than Freo (& Guildford is inland). I'm afraid what you are looking for is pretty much the same as everyone else and a budget of around $1m is a more

realistic starting point.

What are you most willing to

compromise on? We had a 3/4 bed family house,

1km from the beach and a suburb on from Fremantle that was up

for sale recently for $775k - we could easily cycle or even walk to Freo (5km to

the CBD) but actually in Freo would have doubled the price.

I would ditto Freo area though you would struggle for a family home on that budget - not many places in Perth have a villagey feel and those that I can think of with the exception of Guildford would all be even more expensive than Freo (& Guildford is inland). I'm afraid what you are looking for is pretty much the same as everyone else and a budget of around $1m is a more

realistic starting point.

What are you most willing to

compromise on? We had a 3/4 bed family house,

1km from the beach and a suburb on from Fremantle that was up

for sale recently for $775k - we could easily cycle or even walk to Freo (5km to

the CBD) but actually in Freo would have doubled the price.

Could look at east Victoria park.

Subiaco, but could be expensive.