Should I move back to Perth

Suem8

Been living back in UK for just over 2 years after 16 years in Perth,I'm now divorced but my older children live in Perth.

scared to come back no so much getting work but the cost of living.

i work in retail.

Do you have any assets in the UK?

I'm not sure anyone on a forum should really be telling you whether or not to move to the other side of the world. If Perth is where you want to be then my advice would be move there. You mention the cost of living which everyone seems to agree is high, if you are aware of this and think you can afford it then go for it.

Been living back in UK for just over 2 years after 16 years in Perth,I'm now divorced but my older children live in Perth.

scared to come back no so much getting work but the cost of living.

i work in retail.

If you have assets to take with you, then the exchange rate is in your favour. If not, then lower wages, higher expenses, and lack of jobs will work against you. But it really comes down to you and your kids and how much support they will give you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hello sue , can you not go on a parent migration or last remaining relative maybe

After 16 years in Perth I'd expect the OP is a citizen or at the very least as a RRV.

What made you move back to the UK Sue? Are those reasons still valid?

I was on what most people would consider a high salary in Perth and struggled because I was used to being affluent and I am financially much better off in the UK.

I can't really imagine how hard it would be being single & working in retail in Perth but clearly there are lots of Australians in that position so it must be possible. If you lived in one of the far flung suburbs where rent is cheaper (& from what I've read on here rents are dropping) and worked locally in retail then you could make it work.

I am guessing after 16 years you have a lot of friends in Perth, if not then I would worry you would feel isolated and without much money it'd be hard to get out and get involved in things where you would make friends - that was one of the problems we faced. If you do have friends who would welcome you back then it's very different.

You probably have to be realistic about your sons at their age & it sounds as if you are but as they settle down and maybe have children I am sure you would see more of them though.

What would you be giving up in the UK, do you own a house? Have friends/family here?

Messy divorse 3. Years ago just scared to ive back,great friends both country's and no home UK not a lot to leave behind.

After 16 years in Perth I'd expect the OP is a citizen or at the very least as a RRV.

What made you move back to the UK Sue? Are those reasons still valid?

I was on what most people would consider a high salary in Perth and struggled because I was used to being affluent and I am financially much better off in the UK.

I can't really imagine how hard it would be being single & working in retail in Perth but clearly there are lots of Australians in that position so it must be possible. If you lived in one of the far flung suburbs where rent is cheaper (& from what I've read on here rents are dropping) and worked locally in retail then you could make it work.

I am guessing after 16 years you have a lot of friends in Perth, if not then I would worry you would feel isolated and without much money it'd be hard to get out and get involved in things where you would make friends - that was one of the problems we faced. If you do have friends who would welcome you back then it's very different.

You probably have to be realistic about your sons at their age & it sounds as if you are but as they settle down and maybe have children I am sure you would see more of them though.

What would you be giving up in the UK, do you own a house? Have friends/family here?

• 8 months later...
Messy divorse 3. Years ago just scared to ive back,great friends both country's and no home UK not a lot to leave behind.

You know Sue, if I was in your position I would imagine that one of the options was taken away from me - what would you be most upset about, never being able to live in the UK or never being able to live in Perth? Good luck with your decision btw.

They are 2 boys in their 20s who I miss so much but can't see them giving me much surport.

Only working in retail I. Worried won't make it been single and 50.

If you can survive in retail in the UK then I can't see it being much different here. If you can get an equivalent job I don't think your spending power will be much different. You'll get to see your kids too.

• 2 weeks later...

hi sue I lived in perth 11 years till I come back to uk in 2011 for family reasons hasn't really worked out for me here and thinking bout coming back to perth im 57 not old lol but I worried my age will hinder me im a ozzy citizen and have done many jobs so shouldn't be a prob just thinking should I go for it

As Very Stormy said - Perth is struggling big time - would I personally move here now - no - I wouldn't. You mentioned the cost of living so you know how expensive it is and there are many hundreds of people applying for one job - Indianlover think carefully also. Perth is in a huge decline

Edited by dxboz

As Very Stormy said - Perth is struggling big time - would I personally move here now - no - I wouldn't. You mentioned the cost of living so you know how expensive it is and there are many hundreds of people applying for one job - Indianlover think carefully also. Perth is in a huge decline
thanks for reply didn't realize perth was that bad but was 5 years ago I was there so guess boom time is over

They are 2 boys in their 20s who I miss so much but can't see them giving me much surport.

Only working in retail I. Worried won't make it been single and 50.

We moved back to the uk in the middle of the recession. People told us there wasn't any jobs etc but we had no problem securing jobs. OH secured a job in Perth within two weeks, second one he applied for. Yes I've heard it's harder to get a job here but they're always advertising for retail and it pays a lot more here and we've found hardly any difference in our outgoings here compared to the uk, apart from the price of going out for a drink.

Not saying you will land a job straight away but you have just a good chance of anybody else with your experience. Granted it's a risk and being on your own only adds to that, but if you haven't any assets etc in the uk and nothing for you there....then it's only a cost of a flight. Could you have an extended holiday for six months, stay with your sons and see how you go?

Yes there has been a pull back from recent times but I don't get the Perth is struggling big time thing. I have a big group of friends and don't know any out of work. I know a couple that lost jobs in the mining industry and the big salaries that went along with it. They had to change their spending habits, their wives had to get jobs and they managed to get jobs with a lot less money. One of them retrained as a personal trainer and says it's the best thing he did. He's in his 50s too and is loving life.

I honestly don't think things are going to get too much worse and eventually they'll get better again. I've seen several boom and busts and recessions, here and the UK, but I feel Perth has got a lot going for it still.