Unemployment in Perth?

RebeccaMatt

Even though I am just after posting about where to rent in Perth, I've been reading up a lot since then lol our original plan was for my husband to work for his friend in Perth while we got on our feet but now it's starting to look like he may find it extremely difficult to find another job in Perth? Is unemployment that bad? He is an air con technician and his wage working for his friend would be very low but our hope was to look for another job when we got there but that plan seems like it might not work with so many people losing their jobs. Our back up plan is Brisbane where we have family we could possibly stay with , only that plan means moving over with no work at all but maybe a better chance of finding a decent paid job? Any advice?? We have saved a good bit of cash and another year at least of saving should give us enough to get by for a good few months , especially if we have family support, Brisbane possibly the safer bet ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know Perth but in Brisbane there seems to be a flurry of building activity and I would have thought good prospects for your hubby. Hopefully someone in the trade will be about to advise but if the choice of job is poorly paid, I'd be tempted to try Brisbane - house prices lower here too - have read Perth is v expensive.

What do you both do for a profession? Jobs are not exactly in abundance in Brisbane without the right experience etc. One big pisitive with Brisbane is what are where it is, regardless of the mining down turn Brisbane continues to grow although at a slower rate than Sydney and Melbourne.

S

I'm a bit useless my whole life has been working in competition yards with horses where the pay is rubbish no matter where you go and hard to get into unless you know someone lol and my highest qualifications are a-level business and IT and now I stay at home with our son. See were also thinking at least if things go pear shaped in Brisbane we aren't cut off from everywhere else like we would be in Perth.

I'm a bit useless my whole life has been working in competition yards with horses where the pay is rubbish no matter where you go and hard to get into unless you know someone lol and my highest qualifications are a-level business and IT and now I stay at home with our son. See were also thinking at least if things go pear shaped in Brisbane we aren't cut off from everywhere else like we would be in Perth.

As a family we've never felt isolated or cut off from the rest of the country/world - I think that's something you either buy into and let it ruin your stay or not. We chose not, but it is probably important for you regarding how you'd settle.

I know there's been a lot of negativity but I've not really seen any changes in Perth yet. It's not as doom and gloom as you might imagine, a lot of building, renovation and new projects are happening in Perth and surrounding areas, has to be, still a lot of people coming and I heard on the news last night Baldivis is the fastest growing area in Aus at the moment.

Not everyone works in mining. Even if they do a lot of the trades people are still sought after. My son is a sparkie and FIFO, changed his job a couple of months ago, had me and the wife telling him it might not be a good time to change but he's been fine and is now changing again. He sent his resume and got an e-mail back telling him to go for a medical without even having an interview.

Next thing the lady from HR at his current company rang him to say they'd heard a rumour he was leaving and asking why, as they didn't want to lose him. So it all depends on what you do (and sometimes who you know, but that's the same as your friend giving your hubby a job).

Don't write off Perth, I don't think Bris is any better and maybe a bit worse. They have a big mining contingent there too and a lot of them were FIFO'ing to WA for jobs. We've never felt isolated in 23 years.

You never know, your hubby might start working for your friend, enjoy the work and find he's on better pay than you thought. There's a lot of money to be made in aircon so if your hubby knows his stuff you might be surprised at what could come up.:cool:

I will disagree with Paul above.

As as someone unemployed here for almost a year - and see and come across a lot of other similar I think it is very tough out there.

As well as this forum, I also spend a lot of time on our sister forum Perth Poms. There are now people across every sector / industry commentating on how it is getting very hard to find work. We are already seeing that in data - new house build approvals have declined significantly for the last two months.

it is of course totally obvious. While miners have felt the brunt of redundancies (though a lot of engineering and things also) once you start taking all of that income out of the system, it is going to impact everybody else.

7000 empty rental properties in Perth and the number is expected to rise over winter (REIWA). Although some people have bought their own place in Baldivis etc a lot of people have left town for good. A job lost in any industry has a knock on effect in a lot of others if that job goes forever. Of course not all of us will see the effect of what is going on but they will in time, especially as there is a lot more to come.

When we came in 92 I think the unemployment rate was about 11%, we gave up good jobs to come with nothing to come to, never been before, didn't know anyone, has a 2 year old and sold a house to pay to cover the costs of the move. We had people trying to put us off, telling us we were crazy but it was a dream and if we had not done it we would have regretted it for the rest of our lives.

It's worked out well for us but I think we would have regretted not trying even if it hadn't and we had to go back.

VS you live down in Mandurah and while I'm sure it's a lovely place to live it's not exactly in the centre of things. I wouldn't imagine it's easy getting a job down there. Fine while you were working FIFO but to get a job locally would be a challenge any time. I know one Geo and he was made redundant from Arlas Iron a couple of months ago. He got a job at a local IGA stacking shelves on nights but has since got a job with a surveyor. Not the great money it was FIFO but it's a job.

A lot of different opinions :S its tough we always thought that we wanted Perth no matter what but moving with our little one and the intention of growing our family once were settled were now thinking closer to family of some sort might be better. We've always dreamt of moving , since we got married everything has been about saving for Oz and now we actually have the savings to do it we want to be sure we do it right. Were 100% on going , we have nothing to leave behind here most of my family are scattered all round the world so I definitely think Oz is the right move for us. We've never been the sort to expect a lot out of life all we ask for is a nice outdoor lifestyle where my husband won't be working 7am-12pm just to get us by. Speaking to people in Perth they think its great for families , but if you ask people in Brisbane they think Brisbane is better for families lol there is a lot to think about, but from just doing a quick job search on seek there seems to be a lot more available in Brisbane than in Perth

A lot of different opinions :S its tough we always thought that we wanted Perth no matter what but moving with our little one and the intention of growing our family once were settled were now thinking closer to family of some sort might be better. We've always dreamt of moving , since we got married everything has been about saving for Oz and now we actually have the savings to do it we want to be sure we do it right. Were 100% on going , we have nothing to leave behind here most of my family are scattered all round the world so I definitely think Oz is the right move for us. We've never been the sort to expect a lot out of life all we ask for is a nice outdoor lifestyle where my husband won't be working 7am-12pm just to get us by. Speaking to people in Perth they think its great for families , but if you ask people in Brisbane they think Brisbane is better for families lol there is a lot to think about, but from just doing a quick job search on seek there seems to be a lot more available in Brisbane than in Perth
Look back at threads with similar posts to yours most say what you have put. Now look at there future posts once they have started there new life a year on most say the opposite now i.e working longer hours, no time for family, money running out, housing too expensive, I wish I had never started the journey, biggest mistake of my life, cant afford to go back ect.

I understand , but that's life. It never goes perfect there will be ups and downs no matter where you go, can't expect everything to go the way you want it. But you never know if you don't take the chance and it also works out well for a lot of people. No ones story is enough to stop us from wanting to make a go of it, your luck could be just as bad if they had stayed at home, but then they would of never known. You can't go expecting too much or of course you'll be disappointed

Look back at threads with similar posts to yours most say what you have put. Now look at there future posts once they have started there new life a year on most say the opposite now i.e working longer hours, no time for family, money running out, housing too expensive, I wish I had never started the journey, biggest mistake of my life, cant afford to go back ect.

Really Kirk.....myself alongside countless others thank our lucky stars every day we took the gamble...

We came with nothing....no money, no furniture etc.

3 years in, its the best thing we could have done.

Its like having a little piece of holiday everyday. Makes us so happy

I have noticed through a lot of threads that there are a lot of people trying to put others off, but what some people need to remember is everyone is different and most peoples move to Oz started off as nothing but a dream and not all work out but that should never be enough to stop anyone from trying

Really Kirk.....myself alongside countless others thank our lucky stars every day we took the gamble...

We came with nothing....no money, no furniture etc.

3 years in, its the best thing we could have done.

Its like having a little piece of holiday everyday. Makes us so happy

I did not say everyone? and I only said read others posts and like you said gamble I expect there are more loses than winners.

I have noticed through a lot of threads that there are a lot of people trying to put others off, but what some people need to remember is everyone is different and most peoples move to Oz started off as nothing but a dream and not all work out but that should never be enough to stop anyone from trying

and some people like kirk&co who have never made the move themselves try to put other people off.

Hiya Rebecca and matt , I shouldn't really comment in case I'm looked at as negative but I will anyway , you did ask the question about jobs people are not trying to put people off , you can not blame people for trying , people are only saying it on their view because they know what's about to unfold and is in folding , Bit people certainly are not trying put people off , I know how much it's cost us to move and got move again just to hold a job down its ridiculous ! Yes my oh has got work and he is likely to get work but where is the question that's what concerns me I'm sick of it , Australia is beautiful to have son and beaches everyday but nobody would want to be without work , I'm not saying you will be but there's a risk . I do not believe for one minute people haven't noticed achange in Perth , every professional engineer my hubby knows and works with knows ! They know , it will create a domino effect through every industry . A builders good life went into liquidation the other day my hubby told me over the phone . One goes won't take long for others follow , 500 million cuts to schools 300million cuts to hospitals , some infrastructure rail project been shelved I believe , it makes no difference to me what people decide to do , I just wouldn't want you or anyone to struggle or it cost a arm and a leg but u can try , Brisbane well still engineers coming out of work I carnt explain like my hubby can but go on qld job opportunities for people like me the jobs I can do and see how many are practically begging for work it's not funnie ! But only people if u ask the question can give u their view xx