Need Advice on living in Perth?

Christo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, the job market is good at the moment depends on what type of Electronics your in, http://www.seek.com.au or the West Australian online or try http://www.gumtree.com.au under jobs. The weather is cold and sometimes wet in July its the middle of the winter here. However I say cold been here many years, I guess compared to the UK weather its good. usually around 21C. You will need to bring jeans, a light jacket of course t-shirts and shorts for the nicer days maybe a beenie a few jumpers and track pants. You wont need heavy winter clothes.

Hi Christo,

we've got our minds set in perth or areas around really. Such as mindarie, joondalup. My only hold back is that there appears to be much more opportunities for nurses on the east coast as opposed to Perth. Do you know what the job market is like for nurses in wa ?

Many thanks Lucie

Hi Lucie,

Basically Perth is like little Britain and the areas you mention have a lot of Britons living there, if you go to Joondalup Hospital its all British nurses on staff well a lot anyway. Its would be easier to settle in Perth that's for sure cos everything is very similar and its easy to navigate your way around Perth. However traffic is getting worse each year. I think Nurses are always in demand in Australia, whether its in a hospital, nursing homes or recruitment agencies. I used to work in a nursing home and the RGN'S used to get $500.00 per night shift (Recruitment agency's) and all they did was administer the meds and be there in case of an emergency.

Personally I would not live on the East coast rent free, my opinion Perth has everything really weather, things to do and of course the beaches. I just think if your from the UK Perth is at least the best place to start, as its so similar I don't mean in infrastructure or environment but in a cultural way, and its quicker to fly home only 17 hrs flying time Perth - Dubai 10 hrs - Dubai to Manchester 7 hrs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Christo, my wife has secured a job in the St John of God hospital in Midland . We will hopefully be moving to Perth around about October. Do you have any suggestions about were to live? We have two children aged 9&7.We have been looking at Ellenbrook and that seems nice. Any suggestions would be welcome and also places to avoid . Cheers Lee

Ellenbrook has reasonable transport links and is approximately 17 kilometres (11 mi) from Guildford, 19 kilometres (12 mi) from Midland and 27 kilometres (17 mi) from the CBD (via Beaufort Street and Beechboro Road). Gnangara Road links Ellenbrook with Wangara and the northern suburbs, while West Swan Road and the Reid andTonkin Highways are nearby. Bus services link Ellenbrook with Morley and Bassendean railway station. A journey to the CBD by public transport takes approximately 60 minutes.[8] As of 2010 Public transport is currently limited in the evenings and weekends but Transperth introduced new services including an hourly evening connection to Bassendean train stations and thus the city.[9]

During the campaign for the 2008 Western Australian election, both major political parties committed to building a rail-line. The 15 km long rail-line was expected to cost $850 million and be finished around 2015, with construction starting around 2012.[10] However, in May 2010, the premier Colin Barnett confirmed that his government would not be proceeding with the development.[11]

Ellenbrook is nice purpose built community a bit sterile if you ask me, maybe LOOK AT JOONDALUP, WANNEROO, SWAN VALLEY, GUILDFORD, BELMONT. MIDLAND USED TO HAVE A BAD REP BUT GETTING BETTER NOW. Avoid, balga, westminster, Rockingham, Girraween,. It depends if you wanna live by the coast or inland all suburbs offer good public schools. Prices are generally a little cheaper in Ellenbrook because its gotten so big now. But I would not live there but am Biased cos I live in Scarborough.

Hi christo

its great you have taken time to do this,

im a bricklayer and looking to move over in September with my wife and 2 boys 5&7. We are still unsure of where to move to I have an uncle in Bunbury. But I suppose I'll go where the work is, is there anywhere you would recommend. We have been looking at rentals all over they all seem to be you have to apply in person

Hi christo

its great you have taken time to do this,

im a bricklayer and looking to move over in September with my wife and 2 boys 5&7. We are still unsure of where to move to I have an uncle in Bunbury. But I suppose I'll go where the work is, is there anywhere you would recommend. We have been looking at rentals all over they all seem to be you have to apply in person

You will need to be present in person to get a rental normally and this is very wise as things can differ a LOT from what is on line. Most people book temporary accomodation with companies such as stayz.com.au for a few weeks for when they first arrive.

I would book book somewhere fairly central for the first few weeks.

Bunbury is nice, but too far to travel if you need to be going to Perth every day and it is a small town.

Hi there yes when you rent a property in Perth you have to go via a real estate company, they have home opens to all the interested tenants can go and see the place for rent together this saves them time. Once you at the home open you get an application form which you fill out and take back to the real estate, you can explain that you have just arrived and maybe offer them 3 months rent up front as you wont have a job, immediately explain this and show them you have enough money in the bank to pay the rent just by a bank statement. You can either book into a back packers in the city in a private room or you can go to http://www.gumtree.com.au and place an advert on there to rent a house or a few rooms in a private home short term. There are private holiday flats and house you can rent online short term. or obviously stay with .your uncle in Bunbury which is a lovely litter town 2 hrs drive south or Perth, get settle in there and look for work there is a huge call for bricklayers atm so finding work should not be hard, you need your White card which is done online in a few hrs costs about $60.00 you need this to work on any building site in WA.

I would suggest staying with your uncle if he will have you settle in few weeks get a car find a job then apply to rent a house, it really depends where you want to live in Perth I always say NOR (north of the river) but that's were I live. This is just my preference. or maybe just stay central like Duncraig, Tuart Hill, East Perth, Belmont, Scarborough, Trigg, Sorento, Iluka... Just a few to mention. All suburbs have good public schools. I know its always daunting to move to a new country but the main thing is to find a job which you will make friends straight away and a place to live more chance of settling down quicker.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Oh yes when you rent a house you need 2 weeks rent in advance and 4 weeks rent in a bond to be paid direct to the real estate.

Hi Christian, we're hoping to be there around July / August - do you have an info on what its like for painters workwise at the moment? My OH is a manager and he is well aware he'll more than likely need to go back on the tools, we've been checking Seek and there seems to be quite a few jobs there but we have also been offered a painting role in Sydney, there seems to be more work there but the cost of living appears much higher. Any help you can give us would be appreciated. Thanks, Susan

ATM I presume you mean painting and decorating type of work? there seems to be a lot of work the Mining boom in WA has slowed down but the building industry is still very active so painters are required. your husband has to be a registered Painter over here and do a course before he can work this only the case if your going to charge more than $300.00 per job which am sure he will want to. The cost of living is the similar to Perth even renting houses is just the same in general. Australia is very expensive rent wise and food we are one of the highest taxed countries in the world. Having said that it really depends of where you want to live East or West, if you have already been offered a job that can cover your rent/mortgage food and bills maybe take the offer up?

ATM I presume you mean painting and decorating type of work? there seems to be a lot of work the Mining boom in WA has slowed down but the building industry is still very active so painters are required. your husband has to be a registered Painter over here and do a course before he can work this only the case if your going to charge more than $300.00 per job which am sure he will want to. The cost of living is the similar to Perth even renting houses is just the same in general. Australia is very expensive rent wise and food we are one of the highest taxed countries in the world. Having said that it really depends of where you want to live East or West, if you have already been offered a job that can cover your rent/mortgage food and bills maybe take the offer up?

Thanks @Christo :) xx

So Chritso....has "joined" this site a month ago...

lives nor...but is the font of all knowledge on perth.

I hope he/ she is genuine.

Even if Chritso is genuine it will make no difference, I have been 27 yrs and know stuff all as far as most are concerned so I just keep my mouth shut, it is easier that way !!!

Even if Chritso is genuine it will make no difference, I have been 27 yrs and know stuff all as far as most are concerned so I just keep my mouth shut, it is easier that way !!!

Hey...that's why I listen to you...take your advice...use your services when moving out of a rental......

youve lived it...got the tee shirt......you don't big yourself up.

you just talk sense....cos you've lived here for many year....

im glad when I moved you were on the forum when I moved ...you've been so helpful to me..

• 2 weeks later...

Christo say - All suburbs have good public schools

Rubbish

Schools vary immensely depending on where you live. Many are below the national average in terms of results, many in suburbs like Rokingham can't keep staff so there is a huge turn over of staff, Mandurah may be a nice place to live but high schools are terrible and you'd have to go private to get a decent education.

Schools do vary immensely, there are good public schools and bad ones, same with private schools. There are also kids who would do well in any school and their are kids who wouldn't. That's more to the point. Christo, as far as I'm concerned, is onlu offering an opinion and it's usually helpful.

I've had 2 kids go to school here. One went to the local public school is pretty "normal", never wanted to go to uni and cruised through, doing virtually no homework. Used to say "did it at school". Always just wanted an apprenticeship and when he got a sparkie one he was like a different person. Got his head down, studied, has completed several courses since, all off his own bat and paid for by him.

The youngest has autism and went to a local private school which had a special stream for kids with learning difficulties. If you go on the my-school website the private one comes out way in front of the public one and has a great reputation locally. Our youngest was swamped with homework to the point of us having to force him to stop, he was getting more and more stressed. He was told he couldn't take tests the "normal" kids were taking as it would have pulled the schools marks down on the website. Most of the kids in his stream used to sit in the library when tests were conducted. He finished school and got several award for "effort" while he was there.

There's more to schools, especially when trying to judge through the website, than meets the eye.

Its not helpful when you start your rant with...... RUBBISH! do you think people in the UK want to here your very biased statements on schools in Perth? that's not helpful to people every country has good and bad schools I was just generalizing, when I said all suburbs have good schools which they do. New migrants have enough stress when moving here there is no need to be so specific and scare people off with your personal experience.

Hi Yanchep is 35 miles north of Perth CBD its a coastal town the Marmion Ave will take you all the way there its a suburb of Wanneroo. Only in recent years has it become popular now the new road goes directly there. Tapping a bit further down, all depends on where your going to be working they are nice suburbs a lot of house and land packages available. However all these suburbs are gaining popularity as there is new houses,schools and shopping centers are getting built.The population share an average age of 38, in line with the national average of 37.