Which State to move to??

susanbro

We have a member who is in the same boat as you.

She recently did a recce and posted her thoughts on each place.

would tag her but can't remember how she does her name...it's Michaela but with numbers. It's only recent that she posted.

*dam people with hard to remember user names*

More negatives about Perth than Adelaide on this forum at least. Go back over the Perth forums from the past to gain an idea. I live very close to Perth city but can think of negatives a plenty with regards to Perth. I know Adelaide from four visits so not in a position to pass equal judgement but probably wouldn't be enticed to live there personally.

Far to personal to give valid accounts concerning other people. Myself at this stage, if moving over would not pick either location given. Sorry not a lot of help in answer to your question, apart perhaps why such a narrow focus on these two particular cities?

Can you do a reccie on both?I come from Adelaide.Look fwiw its a good place.I live in the UK now but when I go back (which I did recently,only been back a few weeks,went for 3 mths)I enjoy my time there but......ist not my home anymore!As far as a place goes,its pretty ok.Some people that have lived there for a while say its boring,some love it,some hate it,some just tolerate it.I do however get slightly annoyed when people choose Adelaide only because its cheaper.To me thats not a good enough reason to live somewhere.Adelaide city is easy to navigate,its clean and has lots of parklands (not that anyone really uses them that much tbh but they look nice lol)its close to the beach (tramline from city to Glenelg)and easy drive.The suburbs?I grew up in the burbs and they are not my favourite places.I later moved up country to a small town where I was much happier.You have the Barossa Valley (my two bro's live there)which has some nice bigger country towns,nice for a day trip,you can visit the wineries,and have a stroll around the towns,other direction you can drive to Victor Harbour,nice town (affectionately called "Gods waiting room"as there is a large pop of older people lol)nice beaches and so on.Head north and you can visit Moonta,Wallaroo and so on,nice for holidays and long weekends,Mannum (heading east)is a nice Murray River town,easy drive from the burbs,relaxing to have lunch and watch all the boats going by.Adelaide has quite a good live music scene,as in local bands.Personally though I think you should visit before commiting to live in a place.

My fiance & I are currently applying for perm residency and have potential job offers in both Adelaide and Perth - can anyone help us make the decision on where to go as I've only visited Melbourne and Sydney before?? Thanks.

Take a look around these forums and you'll soon discover that Perth is a place that people either love or hate, there's no in-between. My biggest reservation about Perth is that it's so far from anywhere. If you love it, that's not an issue - but if you find yourself in the "hate" camp, it's going to be difficult and expensive to move to another city because of the distances involved. Whereas from Adelaide, it will be much less expensive to relocate to Victoria or New South Wales if things don't work out.

Adelaide is a small city, the atmosphere is more like a big country town, but that also means nothing is far away from anything - not far to the beach, not far to the hills. House prices are cheaper than Perth.

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks all. Melza, it's nice to atually here someone from Adelaide say nice tings about it - some of the forums have people born & bred there slate it terribly.

The thing that concerns me most is everyone saying the lack of jobs there. My partner has two potential offers - 1 in Adelaide and 1 in Perth which is great for him but I also want to continue working so don't want to be stuck somewhere were my chances of finding work are slim. And before anyone says, yes, I have been searching the jobs boards lol and there are significantly more roles advertised everywhere else than Adelaide at the moment.

Hi BB, just seen you quote, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions??? We are a family of 4 (children 7&11) and are moving to bayside in January. We have only lived in Sydney 14 years ago and decided Melbourne seems more family friendly. Which are the best areas to live in, in Bayside? Do you know of any nice rentals for 2-3 weeks ( 3 bed )? I'm a beauty/holistic therapist and assessor and my partner is a carpenter/site foreman, do you know what the job situation is like out their? We keep on looking at SEEK is this the best way to search for work? Last question .... What did you need to prove to get a permanent rental? Thank you in advance. Jenni x

Thanks all. Melza, it's nice to atually here someone from Adelaide say nice tings about it - some of the forums have people born & bred there slate it terribly. The thing that concerns me most is everyone saying the lack of jobs there. My partner has two potential offers - 1 in Adelaide and 1 in Perth which is great for him but I also want to continue working so don't want to be stuck somewhere were my chances of finding work are slim. And before anyone says, yes, I have been searching the jobs boards lol and there are significantly more roles advertised everywhere else than Adelaide at the moment.
If you're talking to someone who was born and bred in a city and left it, there's a reason they left - and it's not necessarily the city's fault! We all have our own emotional baggage. Often, when people are driven to leave a place or person, they demonise that place/person forever more, to make themselves feel better about their decision. So I'd take some of those posts with a big pinch of salt. I have never lived in Adelaide but I've spent a fair bit of time there for work. It strikes me as a nice city. It lacks the big city buzz of Sydney or Melbourne, but that also means it's more relaxed and less pressured. There is work in Adelaide, it will just take you a bit longer to find it. If you're there for the long term, will a few months' wait make much difference? You can always sign up for a few temp agencies in the meantime.

Hi BB, just seen you quote, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions??? We are a family of 4 (children 7&11) and are moving to bayside in January. We have only lived in Sydney 14 years ago and decided Melbourne seems more family friendly. Which are the best areas to live in, in Bayside? Do you know of any nice rentals for 2-3 weeks ( 3 bed )? I'm a beauty/holistic therapist and assessor and my partner is a carpenter/site foreman, do you know what the job situation is like out their? We keep on looking at SEEK is this the best way to search for work? Last question .... What did you need to prove to get a permanent rental? Thank you in advance. Jenni x

Hi Jenni there are a lot of great suburbs, we live in Parkdale which is very family friendly. I can't advise you on short term rentals, ours will

be too small for you. To get a long term rental you have to show you are able to pay the rent, if you

don't have work, then offering several months rent up front can assist your application.

BB

We have lived in Adelaide for almost 8 years now. Our visa entitled us to settle anywhere in Australia without any restrictions. We sold up in the UK (house and all its contents, car etc) and we arrived without any jobs, nowhere to live, not knowing anyone in Adelaide and carrying a couple of suitcases and holdalls with mainly clothes in and we got stuck in with starting our new life. I had previously travelled around Australia (although it was 10 years later when we emigrated) and thought Adelaide would suit us as a couple the best, my OH had never been to Australia until we arrived and trusted my judgement. We are both glad we chose Adelaide and we have established a good life for ourselves. It is an easy city to live in and we have a higher standard of living here than we did in the UK. Of course this will not be the case for everyone, everyone is different.

In the time we have been here, I have seen many migrants come and go. My personal feeling is a lot comes down to peoples attitude and approach, their expectations and how adaptable and resilient they are. It can take time to re-establish yourselves from scratch (often years) and many people come over and if things are not falling into place straight away they are on the first plane home and usually blaming Adelaide or the Government!

The Adelaide job market has been struggling for the past couple of years, but it depends what work you do, my OH for example has been in demand skills wise since we arrived and that hasn't changed in the last 8 years. I have a friend that knew coming to Adelaide that her specific job didn't really exist here, but came with the attitude that she would do something else and that is what she has done.

It comes down to personal choice, what suits one person, may not suit another.

Edited by Jessica Berry

We recently did a reccie in both as a few PP's have mentioned and I think a link to the thread has been posted too. For us we preferred Perth, I won't go into the reasons why again as they are on my reccie report and they are personal to us, you could feel the complete opposite. A good example we found though, was people rave about how isolated Perth is. But while we were in Adelaide we looked at getting the train to Melbourne as we have friends there, 8 hours the train would take. So in fairness Adelaide is pretty isolated to :laugh: you will have to travel (probably by plane) no matter where you are in Oz, and for us once you are on a plane what difference is it if its a few extra hours. But thats just our mentality, it does not bother us, yet I know its a major factor for others.

Honestly I would recommend a reccie if you can afford to, the states are so different and you really need to see and experience them. Its a great position to be in with a job offer in each, so focus on the other areas of your life, i.e what you like to do on days off ect as that is important as well. Good luck in your choice and keep us updated, would love to hear more as someone in a similar position :wubclub:

Edited by M1cha3la

I suggest never go to Adelaide. It is not a city and it is village. If you can let me know the name of workplace then I can share more info.

I get a bit sick of this kind of statement. Adelaide as a city may not be the biggest but it's a hell of a lot bigger than any village I've ever been in. It's bigger than the town I used to live in in the UK as well. I'd love to know which villages you've been in that are the same size as Adelaide.

OP if you are looking for something a bit like London then Adelaide and Perth will both be wrong for you. I've never been to Perth so can't really comment on which would be best. However I don't like big cities. I'd go as far as saying I hate them. I do however love Adelaide. This is probably a reflection of the fact that it isn't a big city and is relatively quiet, which suits me just fine. Whether it will suit you will depend on what you want from a place to live. Same for Perth really.

while we were in Adelaide we looked at getting the train to Melbourne as we have friends there, 8 hours the train would take. So in fairness Adelaide is pretty isolated to :laugh: you will have to travel (probably by plane) no matter where you are in Oz

Yes, but most Australians would drive and for us, an 8 hour drive isn't unreasonable, especially if you take an overnight stop. I've certainly done it for job interviews. Whereas from Perth to Melbourne is 37 hours - just not practical. You can also imagine the difference in cost of moving your furniture if you decide to relocate, because it has to go by road.

The plane from Adelaide to Melbourne is less than one and a half hours. Perth-Melbourne - over 4 hours. Not a big deal, but the difference in cost is.

• 2 weeks later...