Albany - What's it like?

shresthaz

A lot colder than Perth but a lot greener.....beautiful beaches...property is generally cheaper I've been told before to give spencer park and Lockyer suburbs a miss and searching on realestate.com they are some of the cheaper properties if that's anything to go by...alot of history as one of the first settlements in WA and I believe it was the first place to honour Anzac Day in Australia...transport would be good with a regional airport and buses (certain days each week) to Perth....easy pretty much straight rd down to albany from Perth around 5 hours +. Job wise I would check seek.com...

Nice place, seems a bit small. Really beautiful beaches, has some great surfing spots if you're into that, but the water is coooooold!! Also it can get quite rainy at certain times of the year, and the weather is cooler than Perth.

You should definitely look in depth into the job situation as I've heard it can be quite difficult to get a job there due to the small market.

That being said I have a few friends who grew up there and they loved it.

There has been a thread or two on Albany done already but never mind know the area well. Firstly, work is not great there so be aware. Albany is very much a service centre having lost most its industry over the preceding decades. Yes there are areas of deprivation there and the suburbs have already been mentioned.

Tourism plays a big part in the local economy. It can be hard to find somewhere to stay during the summer breaks. Beautiful summers there, seldom have the scorching earth scenario all too common in Perth at that time. On the other side winters can be cold. (for about three months) Or at least over night and early mornings.

Albany is delightfully located beside one of the finest natural harbours in the world. No where is very far to reach unlike the metro area. The coastline resembles the West coast of Ireland or even parts of Cornwall in its vista and is known as The Rainbow Coast. That will inform you further to the weather.

There is a bus service but hardly extensive but to my knowledge still runs everyday. I used to get around by cycle which was perfectly adequate most the time.

While house prices are below Perth, which in my view isn't saying much, I still find them over priced considering the local economy. I should add Albany has a very high rate of retirees, and one of the oldest, if not the oldest demographics in WA. There are a considerable number of UK born folk living there, from memory something like 9+ per cent of the population. Which is very high for a non metropolitan region. Some 19% of the population was born overseas, but outside of UK, the rest are mostly from NZ and South Africa, with a long established and ageing Italian, German and Dutch population.

I know of one good Indian chow house in town, but there are at least two others. I'm afraid I don't find eating out there much, if any cheaper than Perth really. Any other questions I'll try and answer them for you.

Nice place, seems a bit small. Really beautiful beaches, has some great surfing spots if you're into that, but the water is coooooold!! Also it can get quite rainy at certain times of the year, and the weather is cooler than Perth.

You should definitely look in depth into the job situation as I've heard it can be quite difficult to get a job there due to the small market.

That being said I have a few friends who grew up there and they loved it.

It's smallish but still a city in WA terms along with Bunbury and Geraldton. I recall the population of the region being around 33,000, so big by our standards.

I am planning to move to Albany but before that I want to gather as much information as possible.Can anyone here tell me about Albany? How's it like? The weather there, accommodation, suburbs, transportation system, Job prospects etc

Just a question in return. Wondering why you are planning to settle in the Albany region? Not the usual place perhaps folk would go immediately to from abroad. Most seem to move there after spending time in other regions of Australia first.

Just a question in return. Wondering why you are planning to settle in the Albany region? Not the usual place perhaps folk would go immediately to from abroad. Most seem to move there after spending time in other regions of Australia first.

I am finding it hard to get a job out here in Perth. An acquaintance of mine suggested that he can find me work there in Albany if I was willing to make a move. That's why I wanted to find about some information before making the final decision.

I am finding it hard to get a job out here in Perth. An acquaintance of mine suggested that he can find me work there in Albany if I was willing to make a move. That's why I wanted to find about some information before making the final decision.

Oh I see. You are already here in WA. I'd check out the work first and make sure it is genuine. You probably wouldn't want to move without something beforehand. Have you checked the city out? It is remote and if the work doesn't pan out there, not like you can apply in the next town. I've known a few from Perth that have gone down there and not last. Two of those went down to start in one case and buy in another a business.

Afraid the population wasn't there to sustain their business's outside of the season.

Albany can indeed be cliquey, but knowing someone should help to break the ice. You probably do need to be a reasonably self contained sort of person as well, if you get my drift.

Oh I see. You are already here in WA. I'd check out the work first and make sure it is genuine. You probably wouldn't want to move without something beforehand. Have you checked the city out? It is remote and if the work doesn't pan out there, not like you can apply in the next town. I've known a few from Perth that have gone down there and not last. Two of those went down to start in one case and buy in another a business.

Afraid the population wasn't there to sustain their business's outside of the season.

Albany can indeed be cliquey, but knowing someone should help to break the ice. You probably do need to be a reasonably self contained sort of person as well, if you get my drift.

Thank you very much for the advice

I am planning to move to Albany but before that I want to gather as much information as possible.Can anyone here tell me about Albany? How's it like? The weather there, accommodation, suburbs, transportation system, Job prospects etc

I know Albany very well. It is a beautiful little city (town) and has some absolutely stunning beaches. It has everything that you need, from a new multi million entertainment centre to a new hospital. Property is not particularly cheap to buy, like the rest of WA prices are fairly high. However, you can still rent a whole lot cheaper than in Perth and have more land.

It is only a four hour drive from Perth and is not in the least bit remote. It has lots of stunning little places like Denmark nearby.There is also an airport with daily flights to Perth.

There is a lot to do in the town and it has a vibrant friendly community. In recent years a lot of Perth dwellers have moved to Albany for the lifestyle. The town is booked out in the summer months when tourists from Perth flock there for the more comfortable weather.

Job wise, well it all depends on what you do. Casual jobs are easy to come by, as are nursing and related health fields. Basically, if you want a job you can get one, but that is only if you are willing to a variety of jobs and are not restricted to one specified profession.

The summers are beautiful and the winters colder (certainly not as cold as the UK though), but that is also whale watching season and just fantastic.

If you already have a job, then it is certainly worthwhile giving it a go. It offers a fabulous lifestyle.

Edited by Sammy1

• 1 month later...