• Newcomers Australia
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pros and Cons of living in Perth?

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep

Pros and Cons of living in Perth?

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear your views on the pros and cons of living in Perth. It's not a city I've researched before, but now have a possible opportunity in Perth and so want to find out more.

We have no children, so don't need to hear about schools etc. but most other aspects will be of interest.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Title
      Liked
      55 times
      Rep
      Hiya
      Ive been living in perth just over 2 years now -
      Pros - clean, good transport links, not heaps of traffic like the uk, people are on the whole friendly and helpful, potential to earn really decent money, more oppertunities than the uk, houses are bigger but gardens smaller, native wildlife
      Cons - very expensive, customer service varies wildly, the driving standard is awful, they party hard and often, drink driving is very common, no insulation/heating in houses makes winter chillllllly
      the list can go on and on really :)
      Ian H likes this.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6097 times
      Rep
      This subject has been widely discussed on these Forums. My first thought would be why decide on Perth? Being a couple sans kids would Melbourne or elsewhere suite you better?
      Why not check out a few places before deciding? Stay in backpackers if need be but get a feel of perhaps where you may feel more at home.

Perth has for it very predictable weather, even today for example the first month of winter and the sun is out and warm. Winter is short only a couple of months, but nights can get cold. Some prefer the full seasons.....
      Isolation, may be a factor. Nowhere is close so escape can be costly. Parochial to a degree, you get the picture ideal for some others hate it.
      Oh,it is expensive. Have a Sydney friend staying at the moment and she finds eating out very expensive especially for the quality here. House prices and rents high. Job market is far less robust than a few months ago.
      Research your move well would be the best advice to offer.
      Jessie123 likes this.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6121 times
      Rep
      I'm a big Perth fan so there will be lots of people disagree.
      Pro's:-
      Nice clean City
      Not too big so easy to get around, free bus service in Perth
      Great, cleaan beaches, some of the best in the World. A lot of them uncrowded and free parking.
      If you live fairly close to the railway line North or South, or fairly close to a bus link that can take you to a station, public transport is good and fairly cheap. On the downside there are some suburbs that are nigh on impossible to get to if you don't have a car.
      The weather is massive thing for me and the family. It's winter here at the moment and the average temp is about 20 degrees during the day at the moment.
      Bike paths all over the place.
      Great National parks and wineries not very far away.
      Good mountain biking trails
      If you like any kind of sport there can't be many better places in the world to be. It doesn't have to be expensive to join in either. Great way to meet people is join a club or gym.
      Generally friendly people, a lot have been through the emigration process themselves so willing to help or just have a chat.
      The blue skies
      ali, tazbear, tonyman and 1 others like this.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2830 times
      Rep
      Big question is where you can get a job - that may determine your location. Most aussie cities are very similar.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6097 times
      Rep
      Agree with above. Go where the work is. First and foremost concern. Unless you are in an area of high demand don't assume it will be easy to find something. Perth has a limited market compared to East Coast.

Title
      Liked
      191 times
      Rep
      Pros - Generally quite clean, more laid back then the east coast, good for families and the retired
      Cons - Isolated and sometimes boring with not much to do once you have seen everything, people on a whole are rude especially when driving, customer service not great and very expensive compared to 2 years ago!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7183 times
      Rep
      2nd everything that Paul1 has said.

If your after a laid back lifestyle, beaches on your doorstep, house with pool, fantastic views, outdoor living then its the place to be.

If your looking for cultural, city living then maybe not the place for you.

Perth for me is like the kind of place I would go on holiday to, and say to OH "wouldn't it be great to live somewhere like this" and now we do, with the added bonus of having a wage to with it.

its slower paced, but has everything you need, just maybe on a smaller scale.

it might not be living the dream but its living our dream.

cons: isolation maybe, but I've not felt it, and if having to get on a plane to visit somewhere else is the price I have to pay for living here, then it's a small price in my eyes.

eating out: there is good deals to be had, but for the spur of the moment meal out, is IMO not very good value for money.

On the whole Perth is awesome if you are willing to take it for what it is and embrace it
      tonyman, Paul1Perth and Jessie123 like this.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1105 times
      Rep
      Bored in work so here goes

Pros
      Clean and tidy
      Weather is great – we’ve been here 5 years and it’s never been below 15 in the day. There are usually 4 months of 30+ temps and min mid 20 temps for another 4 months of the year
      Beaches are ridiculous, World class. And abundantly non-stop
      Superb for families – must be great to be a kid here
      Plenty to do – mostly natural amenities
      Lots of holiday opportunities – we love going South West. The scenery there is gorgeous
      Some great pubs, superb scenery and settings to have a pint in (see cons)
      Casual dining is of a good standard, better than in the UK (see cons)
      Our house is tremendous
      I can walk to the pub, coffee shop & café, general shops and an amazing beach
      I am healthier here. I eat better (the food is better), I walk more, I sleep like a 6 month old baby. Mind you, I drink about 3 times as much as I used to (still a pro I reckon)

Cons
      Everything is spaced out so much it takes ages to get anywhere. Petrol’s half the price here but you’ll be driving twice the distance anyway
      Most stuff is over-priced, especially eating out & drinking
      You pay more here than the rest of the Country for no other reason than the excuse of ‘isolation’ which doesn’t really exist other than to justify gouging
      Wouldn’t live here if we were a young couple, there is a ‘scene’ but it is not like the UK is for that type of thing
      Advice – Don’t watch the News if you get wound up easily by corruption, gouging, price-fixing etc., it’s rife here
      The Politicians are Neanderthal scumbags; even compared to those in the UK
      Commercially, competition is discouraged, retailers are in cartels to simply extract as much of everyone’s money as possible
      The Federal Government shaft WA and take all its money to pay for the Eastern States who don’t make any
      The drivers are abysmal and dangerous. Drink-driving is rife. It is every young Aussie blokes birth right to be a maniac driver
      A lot of the young blokes are dickheads
      Crime has got a fair bit worse in the 5 years we have been here
      Too many Poms – most are boring, moaning, keep-up-with-the-Jones’, this-isn’t-the-same-as-in-England types. We mixed with a few for 3 months or so then have avoided for the past 4.5 years

Am sure there are others, this passed 10 mins tho.

Perth is a metro area of nearly 2M people now.
      If you live in a large metro area of the UK, some of the cons I have listed will be nowhere near as bad here as they are in the UK e.g. crime. However, some of the pros will be nowhere near as good either e.g. depth of amenities.

All in all, we are happy here. We have more money and do tons more things. We still go and watch sunsets once or twice a month and still take photos. It is a great place to live. I think the comment from an earlier poster about coming here on holiday and thinking ‘this is a great place to live’ is a good one, it’s not really something that has ever worn off for us.

Title
      Liked
      191 times
      Rep
      I dont think there is an answer to this really, as aussies and poms will have differences in opinion. I think it goes back to the ol grass is greener saying we always like want we don't have.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast