Wa police

speed1439

Hi, to all!

I am new to Poms in Oz and am getting used to the website!

I recently applied for a transfer to WA Police on the recent international recruitment drive and today I've been informed I have passed the initial recruitment processes pending my medical and background checks etc.

i was wondering if there is anyone that has gone through the same process as if so what advice can you give me?

If I'm successful I'll be moving to Perth wife my wife and 2 children (aged 4 & 2) and I'm trying to ascertain what areas are good for schooling, housing etc

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

James

Hi James, welcome to PIO, you will find plenty of info on WA and Australia here for a more detailed response on WA Police, have a look at http://www.police-forum.com/ you will find the answers you are looking for. Well done in getting thus far in the recruitment process, if you utilise PIO & the forum you will find what you are looking for. cheers

Hi James

well done with your application this far :)

We have been in Perth almost 4 years now my OH is also a police officer who transfered from the UK .

No one can really tell you were to live as everyone likes different things .We rented a holiday home for three months when we first arrived near Joondalup as thats were you do your training .As you go through traing you have to apply for postings to stations ,so we didnt want to get settled in one area then have to move because of travel time to work .

During this time we had a good look around the areas and soon found plenty of places that suited us .

Good luck with the whole application process .Its so worth it when you arrive or at least it was for us ..

Hi James

well done with your application this far :)

We have been in Perth almost 4 years now my OH is also a police officer who transfered from the UK .

No one can really tell you were to live as everyone likes different things .We rented a holiday home for three months when we first arrived near Joondalup as thats were you do your training .As you go through traing you have to apply for postings to stations ,so we didnt want to get settled in one area then have to move because of travel time to work .

During this time we had a good look around the areas and soon found plenty of places that suited us .

Good luck with the whole application process .Its so worth it when you arrive or at least it was for us ..

Tell your oh to stop dryin his hair on the freeway lol

Hi Tazbear

Thank you for replying, i was just wondering what force your OH transferred from and how they are finding it in WA? Are they enjoying it and how hard was it adjusting to the new laws and regs etc.

I've been looking at the areas around Joondalup, but i've been told if successful i'll be posted in the Met area (Perth CBD, Fremantle or an area within this central location.) With this in mind and from what i've been reading, an area south of the river might be considered better for commute etc (Would you agree?)

I like the sound of renting a holiday home etc for the initial training period, which will give me time to find a suberb etc for more permanent renting etc. How did you go about this and are there any particular letting agents / websites i need to be looking at?

Apologies for the additional questions, but i thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...

Be aware that rental agents cannot rent a property to you unless you have seen it in person. You may therefore need to book a furnished apartment for several weeks while you look for a rental. They are available but if you want one for more than a week at a time you need to book several months in advance. In Como (South Perth) the cheapest 2 bed you will find is $120 per night for a budget apartment. It's just something to bear in mind when you are doing your planning.

I'm looking into applying for the WA police force from Ireland, and I was wondering if anyone knows about how it works in terms of a visa for your wife or partner?

Steve, Don't know about partners (whether you have to 'prove' relationship like with other visa classes). However, with wives, they will be on your visa, and therefore get the same rights as you re access to Oz, working and social rights within.

Si

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just to update you -

My VISA has now been Granted (186 visa) / Flights booked - 14th September! Holiday let booked for the first 4 weeks and Official start date is 30th September.

Exciting times lie ahead!!!

Good luck to anyone still awaiting results / applying, it'll be worth it in the end.

James

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am new in this forum. I would like to ask you ...is anyone still in the WA transfer process? I started this process in 2012 ...everything was fine and they accept me but a last week I had a car accident in work and the australian doctor said I can't continue my application. I have to wait one year. so they held my application and they kept thouch with me in october last year. in this time I had 2 lives complaints. they said I have to wait untill these two is finalised and after they will nominated me. so that was ok my complaints are finalised and they wanted more information about it. that was in december. they asked the Ombudsman. wa police got further information in late January and since I got other 4 copmlaints. this is a never ending story!!!! I am gutted!!! do you anyone who is same as me? or do you know anyone who got that job with copmlaints? Sorry I wrote so much but I really worried about it. maybe I will loose that opportunity because of the comlaints....thanks for understanding.