childcare rates, cost of living ect

Guest ciaranm86

Guest ciaranm86

hi im ciaran from ireland and im in the middle of getting my skilled 175 visa. ill be emigrating to perth or brisbane next year not too sure where yet, i was looking up childcare rates and they dont look too cheap. my 2 kids are aged 2 and 1 and the 2 of them will be in childcare if me and my wife will be working. any suggestions on whats the best cheapest childcare is or do i qualiffy for government help ect??? i am a qualified plumber so i hope to get a job with good salary or what is a plumbers salary in perth/Brisbane? any other info will be great thanks

Guest guest17301

If you qualify for childcare rebate (which most people with a combined income of less than $160k or so do) you will get a percentage of your costs paid for by the government depending on your income...if youre on a low income that means you'll get a high percentage but if youre near the cut off much less, maybe a few dollars at the most.......at the end of each quarter you then get 50% of what you actually paid minus the rebate back in a lump sum. I find that for us that means my $55 a day childcare only costs me about $25 so excellent incentive to go to work and use childcare Id say. I think the Aussie system is pretty generous...

If you qualify for childcare rebate (which most people with a combined income of less than $160k or so do) you will get a percentage of your costs paid for by the government depending on your income...if youre on a low income that means you'll get a high percentage but if youre near the cut off much less, maybe a few dollars at the most.......at the end of each quarter you then get 50% of what you actually paid minus the rebate back in a lump sum. I find that for us that means my $55 a day childcare only costs me about $25 so excellent incentive to go to work and use childcare Id say. I think the Aussie system is pretty generous...

Sorry for being pedantic Fiona but just in case any confusion for people googling further info... the thing you referred to as childcare rebate is called childcare benefit. Childcare rebate is just the name of the 50% non means tested part you referred to in the second part of your post.

hi im ciaran from ireland and im in the middle of getting my skilled 175 visa. ill be emigrating to perth or brisbane next year not too sure where yet, i was looking up childcare rates and they dont look too cheap. my 2 kids are aged 2 and 1 and the 2 of them will be in childcare if me and my wife will be working. any suggestions on whats the best cheapest childcare is or do i qualiffy for government help ect??? i am a qualified plumber so i hope to get a job with good salary or what is a plumbers salary in perth/Brisbane? any other info will be great thanks

Hi Ciaran, on a permanent visa you should be eligible for some Family Assistance payments when you arrive. Most payments (Family Tax Benefit, Rent Assitance, Childcare Benefit etc) are based on income so it really depends on how much you earn as a family as to how much you would receive. There are online calculators and you can have a play with these to get an idea.

Childcare Rebate which is a separate payment to Childcare Benefit, is not income based but you will need to meet some requirements to be eligible.

All information on the types of payments etc can be found here:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/payments-for-families

Guest guest17301

Thank you Fish! The correct info is important! I knew what I meant....

Edited by guest17301

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tracynben

cant help with prices in brisbane but in pert childcare centres can range from $50-$100 a day per child, its depends what surburb they are in.

If you look on the centrelink website, and go onto the online estimator, it will calculate what entitlements you will get.

if both of you are working, you will get less childcare %. basically the govt pays the childcare centre something like $4 an hour, and you get a percentage off that, according to ur wage, the more u earn the less u get, for example, we earn around 100k and get about $25 a day off our fees.

on top of that u get a childcare rebate, up to $7500 a yr per child, but only if both of u r working/studying 15hrs a week or more.

unless your wife is in a good industry and can earn a good wage, it might not be worth for her to work, as it will cost a minimum of $250 a week for childcare, and you will loose all family tax benefits.

hope that helps you

Guest Vixenpops

Hi

I have been looking in north Brisbane suburbs and childcare (all day) is about $80 after the childcare contributions (rebate and benefit) its just under 50% of that finally so work on about $40 a day per child

Just FYI once they start school before school club about $10 a day and after school (including snack) around $15 so after assistance this is about $12 a day per child

Hope this helps