Quality second hand furniture etc

chiara

I can't believe I'm having to start a thread with this title but honest to god I'm picking myself off the floor on an hourly basis at the price of everything here. I was in Ikea on Saturday, that last bastion of hope for the true bargain hunter, and was shocked to discover these so called 'cheap' items are twice, three or even four times more expensive than back home! And as for white goods, they are more than twice what they'd be at home so I'm panicking a bit and wondering is there such thing as a second hand store somewhere in Perth since surely with such a fluid population, people are leaving all the time?

I know there is a buy and sell paper, but I don't fancy the idea of driving around to peoples houses, although it may well come to it.

Any info is appreciated...

Try Andy at Como Furniture Mart - he doesn't have premises any more but is still operating. He can source pretty much anything at really good rates and deliver. His number is 08 9367 5940

http://www.comofurnituremart.com/

Also, the Salvos have furniture shops. Have you tried Furniture Spot and Barkers - they are both pretty reasonable. Fantastic Furniture ain't bad but the quality ain't always the best.

Guest GeorgeD

Some of the larger charity shops sell new furniture. You don't get charity shops in the UK the same way you do in Oz...some are almost like big warehouses in retail parks!

Thanks people, will keep searching. Gum tree looks good...am a little icky about buying something already used, but needs must it seems... damn well wishing I'd brought a lot more with me, or at least bought at home and shipped it!

Know what you mean, :wink: but there is some good quality used items for sale out there.

This may set the cat amongst the pigeons but isn't this something you should of researched as part of your visa application...??? Putting a case together as to why you want to live in Perth understanding the costs of living etc...

Not really, it was a job and there was no alternative, we didn't come here out of choice but rather necessity. It wouldn't have made any difference to our decision to come....

This may set the cat amongst the pigeons but isn't this something you should of researched as part of your visa application...??? Putting a case together as to why you want to live in Perth understanding the costs of living etc...

Um, no?

Not everyone is on a state sponsored visa. Why on earth would you be doing detailed furniture cost research if you're on an employer sponsored visa? Most of us have more important fish to fry, and would generally assume that it would be possible to furnish a house on a higher than average wage...

Im sorry but regardless of how you come to arrive in australia...if your needing furniture doesn't common sense prevail that you should be researching before your arrival ..even a 1 or 2 hrs would give you an idea so your not given a shock...

Im sorry but regardless of how you come to arrive in australia...if your needing furniture doesn't common sense prevail that you should be researching before your arrival ..even a 1 or 2 hrs would give you an idea so your not given a shock...

Actually, I would have just checked that Ikea/equivalent existed and left it at that. I still find it disgraceful that the same items sometimes cost more than double UK prices. Shipping does not account for that level of difference.

Guest GeorgeD
Actually, I would have just checked that Ikea/equivalent existed and left it at that. I still find it disgraceful that the same items sometimes cost more than double UK prices. Shipping does not account for that level of difference.

Totally agree. The are two other issues with comparing when in the UK...1) you don't actually know if you have missed the biggest retailers or not, or if your prices are from some tiny online only guy with a garage (or no garage and a phony website!) Not knowing the market makes it very time consuming to find deals on things...I used to live in Glasgow which is home to the World's largest Menswear Store (Slaters). If I wanted to buy a suit I'd go to Slaters and pay half the price of Debenhams/Frasers for better quality. Here in Oz, where do I go to buy a suit? David Jones/Myer are the only easy ones to find in the high street, but I'd pay a premium for it. The local knowledge and asking people with local knowledge makes it much easier. 2) Many retailers in Oz don't advertise prices online! The price on the item in the shop is also rarely what you pay once you've haggled, so it's difficult to know how much to expect to pay.

You also need to see what Australians do, and buying used furniture in Australia seems to be really quite common. Like I said before, the charity shops in Australia can be huge and many also sell new furniture. We almost bought a table and chairs from one...they were going to order in more chairs from the manufacturer as they didn't have a full compliment in stock...which means they buy them in from the manufacturer new...they're not even used!

Where are you pricing your white goods? We paid 500 for a superb big top load washer, 300 for a dryer, 1000 for an American style fridge, 700 for a different fridge as the big one wouldn't fit in the gap in our new place, 550 for a dishwasher.

Are those prices much different from the UK?

Got the mother-in-law a 32" LG telly for $350 at Xmas.

Most of these from the Good Guys or HN.