Barrow Island Wives

Guest Michelle78

Guest Michelle78

Hi ya,

I have been in Perth for 6 weeks now and looking out for new friends. My hubby is a Project Engineer and will be a fly in/fly out 3 weeks on, 1 week off at Barrow Island come June/July time. I live just outside Fremantle and wondered if there are any others in a similar situation. Would love to hear from you

Michelle :wink:

Hi Michelle,

I am not a Barrow Island Widow but will in August be an Aussie Navy Submariner Widow! lol

My husband is in the Royal Navy Submarines here in the UK and has spent most of the last year away at sea, in 10 week stints with 4-5 weeks of absolutely no-contact (no email/phone/nothing) in the middle of each stint. It's pants but fingers crossed won't be as bad in the Aussie Navy.

We will be based in the Rockingham area (not sure where we'll live til we're out there and have had a look around).

Would love to keep in touch, will need all the friends I can get when we get there. Always good to have a support network of girls in the same situation.

Hope you have settled in well so far. Take care

Liz x

Guest Michelle78

Hi ya Liz, . You will have plenty of friends out here so don't get worrying. Perth has so much mining going on that I'm sure there will be plenty of people in our situation too. That must be really tough on you when he goes away. Def stay in touch and we can hook up for a coffee or something when you are here and hopefully introduce you to some new girlfriends. I desperately miss my friends back home but feel like getting there. I'm quite lucky as I have a great friend already who I go to the gym with, go shopping etc. You will be fine. Rockingham isn't far from us, probably only half hour. My husband works at Henderson at the minute but come august he will be on his fly in fly out rota :-(. I live in a place called Winthrop if you want to google earth it to see the distance. Chat anytime Michelle x

:eek:this is spooky hubby got me searching about the the FIFO in barow island ( thats what he is hoping to get into when we hopefully get to oz next year )

He is an electrician engineer .

:cute:can i sit quietly (ok not to quiet lol )on this thread and have a nosey .

:tongue:hello fellow plymouth res liz x ( huuby is in RN at the mo .....hopefully not much longer lol )

Guest Allic1978

Hi everyone I'm alli and fingers crossed we will be out there by end of july!! Hi again Michelle, well done you for setting this up .My hubby is going to fifo too and all of a sudden that seems terrifying as I don't think we've ever been away from each other for more than a long weekend lol. Really nice to know there are lots of us in the same boat, doesn't seem so scary then plus gives us ladies lots of opportunities for coffee and chats lol!

Guest scottishkiwi

Hi Michelle and girls,

We (hubby Industrial electrician, daughters 11 and 19) will be out in Perth at the end of June. My husband is keen to do FIFO and has had his eye on the Gorgon project for a while. Hopefully he gets something quickly! Anyway, I will be looking to meet new friends and I think that forums like this are amazing.

Good luck to you all and hopefully see you all soon!!!!!!

Hi there

Could I maybe join ur girlie club too??? I'm not actually in Oz yet (still waiting to 4 house to sell). When we do get over though my OH will be FIFO 3/3 or 4/4 as he works offshore in the oil and gas industry and i'll b stuck home alone with 2 girls (5 and 8), tis a bit daunting staying for a few weeks at a time in a strange country.

Take care and hope to c u all soon sometime

Lynette XX

Guest Allic1978

Hi lynette, hey it is so daunting isn't but we are all in the same boat so dont worry. I'm sure it's a great oppurtunity for us ladies to meet up and have coffee/wine. Keep in touch. When are you heading out? We are hopefully heading out in July, hurry up visas!!!

Hey there

We'll b looking at coming over at the end of sept/start oct time to activate our Visas, that's if our house isn't sold by then but probably not!!! We've already got our Visas (176 granted 14th Feb 2011) so we're at the next stage of trying to sell our house here in Bonny Scotland, so we'll b looking at a reccie sometime in sept/oct, I'll keep u posted.

Good luck with the visas.

Take care

Lynette XX

• 1 month later...
Guest bowow2011

Hi everybody hope you don't mind me joining

A little bit about ourselves we are getting married 6/2012 OH is an electrician and we are coming over on a 176 visa I am training to be a Mental Health nurse just trying to get into university in WA to finish my last year :wub: OH will be FIFO and I am terrified as we have never been apart in 7 years, but feel better after looking at this forum and realising I m not on my own! we have been to WA in 2009 for a year and have family and friends over there.

It would be really nice to meet up, looking at moving to the Fremantle or Rockingham area.

Hope to speak soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Michelle78

Hi My Hubby has just come back from a 3 week fifo and I'm proud to say that I survived it. We had never been apart in the 17 years we have been together. Add yourself and we can get chatting. Any problems let me know and I'll add you. Michelle x

• 1 month later...
Guest HeatherR

Hi all

my hubby is off to Barrow Island to work he's in Perth for 10 days first on a course.

Just wondered if anyone knows what the phone situation is like on the island? We heard that you have to get a special type of mobile phone ?

Is there landlines to use and will a UK mobile work for texting ?

Thank you, hope this is in the correct place......still working my way round using the site:mask:

My DH will be FIFO but I'm not sure exactly where yet -- we are waiting for our 457 which is to take 2-3 months we're told. With 5 small children I certainly need some moral support so hope to meet up with some of you ladies when we get there. Is there much in the way of drop in creches over there where you can go for a coffee while the kids play in the soft play area? In the UAE, which we just left, they are everywhere and a complete life saver for me.

Look forward to meeting some of you!

• 1 month later...
Guest Michelle78

My hubby has been away for a few months now as we haven't had any issues with the phones. Skype within the camp is pretty rubbish as all the staff are trying to skype at the same time, but we are told that it will improve. We have still communicated every day so its not that bad. I know his mobile doesn't work within site though, which might be where you heard that from. But, I have the office number and hubby's direct line so if I did need him, or just want a chat, I can get hold of him.

As for day care here, I don't personally know as my two are at kindy, starting school in February so I can't comment. Im sure there are plenty of places around though to give you some restbite. I have a page on FB too if you are on it, barrow island widows.... plenty of girls on there for some advice and support. If you were interested.

Hope to see you all sometime

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Enjoying reading the thread, will be there in few weeks and husband will be fifo so friends for gym, coffee etc will be great.

Will check out the fb page.

Diane x

• 1 month later...

hi michelle..I see from your posts that you are moving back to the uk. i am from ireland & moving to perth in the new year...my Oh will be doing the flyin/fly out option...I see your husband was dong that too..is it too nosey to ask why you are moving back? did you not like perth..did your husband not like the fly in /fly out option....just want to check out all the options..make sure we don't regret our decision..if it's something you don't want to talk about ...that's fine..thanks

hi michelle..I see from your posts that you are moving back to the uk. i am from ireland & moving to perth in the new year...my Oh will be doing the flyin/fly out option...I see your husband was dong that too..is it too nosey to ask why you are moving back? did you not like perth..did your husband not like the fly in /fly out option....just want to check out all the options..make sure we don't regret our decision..if it's something you don't want to talk about ...that's fine..thanks

Hi Cg1 just noticed you are from Ireland and was wondering what line of work your DH is in. My DH is in construction and we have just started looking into Australia have always dismissed it in the past as it is so far away but now just need to get out of here as it is getting worse and we have two young children. We have been looking at the Gorgon project but got our application in too late for this round of interviews just hope DH might get chosen for next round. Any advice you can give me on how to get a job on a FIFO basis I would really appreciate as we think that is our only way of getting to Oz. Anyway would appreciate any info. Good luck with your move it is a big decision to leave and go so far from home.

Hi Cg1 just noticed you are from Ireland and was wondering what line of work your DH is in. My DH is in construction and we have just started looking into Australia have always dismissed it in the past as it is so far away but now just need to get out of here as it is getting worse and we have two young children. We have been looking at the Gorgon project but got our application in too late for this round of interviews just hope DH might get chosen for next round. Any advice you can give me on how to get a job on a FIFO basis I would really appreciate as we think that is our only way of getting to Oz. Anyway would appreciate any info. Good luck with your move it is a big decision to leave and go so far from home.

hi Danand..I feel your pain! my OH is in construction too...no need to tell you how bad things are in that industry at the moment:mad:..we had dismissed it too..but something had to give. we have 2 small children - 4 & 2...and for them we hope a better lifestyle...we hope.. neithe rof us have been there before. for jobs in oz..we hav esent out loads of CV...try Osbourne recruitment..they are looking at the moment..also email the companies directly..we would have used constructionjobs.ie & looked under the copamnies recruiting..and that's where we got lucky..it is still a long process though...we have just applied for our 457 visa..don't know how long that will take..an agent is looking after it for us..best of luck & keep me informed of how you are getting on..it will be all worth it..think of the sunshine!

Hi there Cg1 thanks for your reply. Had a look at the Osbourne site and also on Constructionjobs.ie but there are no jobs for the Barrow Island job on at the moment. Is your OH going to work on the Gargon Project. Did you get a relocation package. I am totally determined now to try and make the move to Oz but I feel for us the only way is to get work on the Gargon Project so we are instantly earning and visas etc are sorted for you (well I think they are!) what company will your OH be working for you can sent me a private message if you do not want to name a company on here. We are going to send CV's direct to all the contractors on site and hopefully we will have some luck that way. I feel really frustrated now as everybody knows about this job and so many people are going out there but we only found out at the weekend as previously I would not even discuss a move to Australia but now that I have set my mind on it I just want it to happen and I feel we are too late. My DH has always worked as part of the management team in Construction and that is the type of job he is hoping to get but he would be prepared to take any job just so we can all go out there and try and build a new life for a few years. Anyway good luck with all your plans I really hope we get to meet up in OZ in the near future.

Take care

K.

Guest TheGillams

Hi All

I too am a Barrow Island wife!! Hubby and I moved here last year from the UK and have been doing FIFO for a year. There are certainly a lot of us here and many different forums to meet people.

For any of you who are interested there is a company called FIFO Families (google them) which run regular meetings all over Perth and all over Australia for families in our situation. The groups allow us to all meet up regularly to talk about our situation and any issues that come up with one person being away and to share strategies for dealing with things. There are some veteran wives in the groups who have been doing this for years and have all sorts of knowledge to share.

I have only just signed up and have been to a couple of meetings and they are great. So get on the website and join up. You can join for free or pay a membership which gives you access to many other bits and bobs.

Regarding the mobile phone issue on Barrow, we found that we had to get new phones with telstra as they are the only company that services the island. Our UK phones didn't work with telstra sim cards as we needed a NextG phone. We ended up with iphones and they are really good as we can use them to skype which is great. Hubby normally skypes at lunchtime when less people are online so it works quite well.

Hope to see some of you at the FIFO families gatherings.

Yvette

Guest disneymumcork

Hello everyone,

We are looking into FIFO too, I hate the thought of it so we are also looking into living in Karratha and other countries. We have 2 girls , 11 and 5 and really can't wait to get out of downtrodden Ireland!

Hi Michelle and girls,

We (hubby Industrial electrician, daughters 11 and 19) will be out in Perth at the end of June. My husband is keen to do FIFO and has had his eye on the Gorgon project for a while. Hopefully he gets something quickly! Anyway, I will be looking to meet new friends and I think that forums like this are amazing.

Good luck to you all and hopefully see you all soon!!!!!!

Hi Scottish Kiwi,

We are looking at the Gorgon Project too, I read somewhere (think it was on the forum???) that they will be looking for a batch of people (engineers etc) in June 2012, must look into it cause the dates would suit us perfectly.

My DH will be FIFO but I'm not sure exactly where yet -- we are waiting for our 457 which is to take 2-3 months we're told. With 5 small children I certainly need some moral support so hope to meet up with some of you ladies when we get there. Is there much in the way of drop in creches over there where you can go for a coffee while the kids play in the soft play area? In the UAE, which we just left, they are everywhere and a complete life saver for me.

Look forward to meeting some of you!

Hi Chiara,

(A bit off topic, sorry...)Spotted you were in the UAE, how did ye find it? We are looking at Oman as well as Oz, we are just back from a holiday there and we all fell in love with the little bit of the middle east we saw. Why the change to Oz, is it a contractual thing?

DM

Hello everyone,

Hi Chiara,

(A bit off topic, sorry...)Spotted you were in the UAE, how did ye find it? We are looking at Oman as well as Oz, we are just back from a holiday there and we all fell in love with the little bit of the middle east we saw. Why the change to Oz, is it a contractual thing?

DM

Hi disneymumcork. No, we couldn't get out of there quick enough -- it was a nightmare! By the time DH left he hadn't been paid in three months. Oman is nicer, friendlier, but I wouldn't recommend the UAE. Having said that, I don't think your contract is worth the paper its written on over there, in any of the Arab countries, unless you work for a western company. We had fun, the kids had a good time, but there really was no future in the place for us so we were desperate to get Oz. DH is doing fifo now, me and the kids will arrive after christmas, and as much as I'm not looking forward to it, at least I know I will be a free country where the law is on my side!