Wildlife in Perth - Dangerous?

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

So, hopefully I'll be making the move to Perth at some point - how dangerous is the wildlife?

Are surfers at risk from shark attacks?

I'm aware red-back spiders are lethal, how common are they? Gardens only or will the come into the house? Will they only bite if they are threatened, or will they deliberately go after my 3 year old son?

How about other spiders / snakes? Likely to come into the house?

well in the ocean you have sharks , blue ringed octupus , stinging jelly fish stone fish , in the river you can get sharks and crocs , in the house you can get red back spiders [ no they dont chase you , but a tiger snake will !!! funnel web spidrs snakes etc , in the hills you have snakes angry kangeroos [ they can disembowel you ] and drop relted to koala bears bears and race horse goannas [ nasty little buggers.

in the out back you have wild pigs , crocs , aligators snakes ,

which is why when you get to retire you get a pension and a medal for surviving it all

Red back bite is on fatal to the very young or very old or pets, I've seen one and killed with bug spray

Huntsman are big buggers but don't like noise

Not seen any snakes as yet but unlikely unless yourvin the sticks, how many snakes did you see in the uk, not many I bet

Sharks etc yep they are about avoid swimming at dusk or Dawn and choose a beach like cott with shark nets

You just have to have a eye out for stuff lurking and you'll be fine

rental houses have to have certificate that inside and out of property has been sprayed ... dont worry to much I hate spiders myself but in honesty my friend in Perth tells me that seldom do you see them but will dependent on where ur home location is. At the end of the day you just have to be aware of them but dont let it worry you. Australia has so much to offer and embrace - go for it and just dont get hung up on what people say. do your own research and enjoy Oz

• Like 1

So, hopefully I'll be making the move to Perth at some point - how dangerous is the wildlife?

Are surfers at risk from shark attacks?

I'm aware red-back spiders are lethal, how common are they? Gardens only or will the come into the house? Will they only bite if they are threatened, or will they deliberately go after my 3 year old son?

How about other spiders / snakes? Likely to come into the house?

I don't mean to be rude but you really need to do a bit more research. Shark attacks are rare. Spider bites haven't killed anyone for a while now. Bit painful but death, very rare. Suggest you put some questions into google!

rental houses have to have certificate that inside and out of property has been sprayed ... dont worry to much I hate spiders myself but in honesty my friend in Perth tells me that seldom do you see them but will dependent on where ur home location is. At the end of the day you just have to be aware of them but dont let it worry you. Australia has so much to offer and embrace - go for it and just dont get hung up on what people say. do your own research and enjoy Oz

I've lived in 3 rentals here and never once seen a certificate to say it's been bug sprayed! (Edit) just seen this is WA, must be different over east :)

Worst creatures downunder are the drop bears :unsure:

agree the research is important but anyone with irrational fear of creepy crawlies will never be sensible about these things !! I would say just to be aware and do some more research ... dont let people scare you as people just tend to make stupid stuff up just to put the frighteners on you ... for example my pop said " cant red back spiders kill you stone dead within an hour if you dont get to hospital !!!!!!! " whattttttttttttttttttttttttt I said " anyway my point is I did my research thoroughly and believe me a lot of it is just worry for nothing

Guest NeilEB
I don't mean to be rude but you really need to do a bit more research. Shark attacks are rare. Spider bites haven't killed anyone for a while now. Bit painful but death, very rare. Suggest you put some questions into google!

In fairness that's why I'm asking my question here.

It was to get a feeling of how much do I need to tell my son to keep away from spiders and come and get me (or his mother, I hate spiders).

How worried do I have to be if he tells me he's off to the beach to surf.

How likely am I to wake up to find a giant spider spying on me in the bedroom.

That sort of thing.

I've lived in 3 rentals here and never once seen a certificate to say it's been bug sprayed! (Edit) just seen this is WA, must be different over east :)

Just going by what agents in perth and fremantle have told me..... But hey I am still in the uk and your in Oz so maybe your right . Will still have the rental sprayed myself even if its not legally obliged by landlords to do so.

hi, ok I am here to put some perspective on your concerns! what are that lot like... winding you up mostly.

We emigrated a year ago when my son was 3. We told him to call us if he ever sees a spider and never to touch them. So far, to date, he has done that. Yes we get red-backs in the garden. They make their webs on fences, under garden chairs and tables. Their webs are messy, like cob webs. You then go find an old shoe/boot etc and whack it on the head til its dead and then scoop it up in a dustpan and put it in the bin. This doesnt happen very often and its probably wise to, once a month or so go around your garden and get rid of any webs with a broom. No spiders or snakes in Perth are predatory. Their bites/stings will only occur if you accidentally step on them or sit on them. As a family we all go outside without shoes, we mostly forget to check under the seat cusions and so far so good. If stung. Dont run around panicking - get to the nearest hospital. Perth has a fantastic childrens hospital called Princess Margaret and get an antidotal injection. Sharks yes at the beach every now and again maybe once or twice a year you hear on the news that there were sightings. The patrols are good, life savers and helicopter search every day. Stay out the water dawn and dusk. More important to learn about rips and currents than worry about sharks. Hillarys has a safe beach with no waves for young children. Sorrento next door is pretty good once kids get to about 10 - in fact all the schools have swimming lessons at the beach from Year 6 and 7 upwards. Snakes, stay away from sand dunes, swamp areas etc .... just keep em peeled and you will be fine. Just get a book when you arrive of dangerous things, go to ACWA the aquarium, lots of info there. Most of all enjoy perths fantastic beaches and parks with the emphasis on enjoyment and not on worry. It's a good life... an expensive one (but thats another thread altogether!!)

Guest brickie001

Reality check

Redbacks do not kill unless ur very young

snakes ok they are about n i seen a few most snakes will avoid human contact ....let them be

My son the 3 year old with "666" tatooed on his head somewhere has eaten most the wildlife here at some stage ...n guess what he is alive n well......damm

get a grip on reality read up on things the white tailed spider is a myth

Just avoid the snakes and they aint that bad i work up north n see loads most just wanna run from u.

you have to be careful about snakes in spring when they tend to start moving around and breeding , having birds out side will attract mice , and mice attract snakes

my mother used to keep budgies near the front door and thank god she had the fly screen shut as there was a big dugite rearing up trying to bite the door , this was in swan view a fair few years ago now , three weeks after this i saw my first race horse goanna i just stood screaming i thought it was a croc an old man told me if id been in its way it would have run u my body and stayed on my head [ i swear i would have died if thos had happened ]where we lived was near a lake / swamp

i was talking to an old country lady and told he if i saw a sanke i would hit it with a shovel [ this is assuming i walked around carrying a shovel !!!] she told me you had to be careful hitting a snake as it can whip around the handle and bite you , and that you have to hit it right behind the head to stop that happening , so i told her ok ill run over it with the car [ i suppose i was assuming i would be in the car now when i saw it ] she told me to be careful as the wrap around the wheel and can get in the engine ,

so i went home and told my father who said " they think your a stupid pom and came over on the banana boat " until we saw the news that night and a fire crew were putting a bit tarpaulen over a car and pumping gas into it to knock out a snake that was in the engine , i looked at him and said banana boat my ar@#$e!!!

saying that though i have never seen any thing since excet a dead snake in the road or at the zoo

Guest Sam C

They're a right nuisance, last time I was downunder one dropped on me, stole my cork hat and everything - come to think of it, the thing sorta looked like Nikki Chapman...

LOLZ!

Bloke was taken by a shark in Port Kennedy a few months after we got here. There have been other sightings in the 3 or so years since but no fatalities I think. There have been others around Aus tho.

Seen a few redbacks but they don't go for you, you'd have to be unlucky. Mostly see these skinny spiders that live in the house, everyone says they're ok so I don't bother them.

Never seen a snake. Cockies do my head in now and then, had a massive one drop on my foot in the kitchen once, that spooked me.

Hi.

I'm told that more people die in the UK every year than spider/snakes and sharks in AU put together.

I've been here 2.5 years and never seen a snake - they tend to be away from houses and in the hills/bush.

We have had plenty of redback spiders in the garden (they are normally about the size of a lady bird). A quick spray and their gone!

Sharks - You know when theres a shark about, there generally is a helicopter flying over it and the beach would be closed.

Its not as bad as you think.

Guest hughielewis

We live backing onto bush here in Geraldton so we've had a few visits from snakes and a few spiders. Generally you've nothing to worry about, the snakes do their utmost to keep out of your way, if you happen to get bitten get straight to hospital as they have antivenin ready and waiting. If you go for the usual aussie "she'll be right" approach to a snake bite then you'll die.

Spiders wise, we get some beauties but all are harmless on the whole. redbacks are posienous but the webs are easy to spot and they dont actively hunt so there's very little chance of being bitten. The East coast has a lot more creepy crawlies to worry about, that Sydney Funnelweb freaks me out.

The main worry is drowning, many many many more people drown every year than get munched by Australias numerous nasties. It's so easy to get caught out, it only takes an inexperienced swimmer, bad luck or a bump on the head in the surf and you're in trouble. Respect the ocean and you can have lots of fun.

Most of it is common sense though, don't pick up shells on the beach, poke jellyfish, grab snakes or corner lizards, tread carefully, respect the animals and they'll stay out of your way.

But those drop-bears, sheesh! it amazes me anyone ever leaves the house in Country Victoria. i heard of one picking the front door lock and then pouncing on the victim as they made their early morning coffee!

I have surfed in Perth for about 15 years and I've only ever seen one shark, and that was no trouble. You have much more chance getting killed driving to the beach that getting eaten by a shark.

When I was last in Perth, my father asked me to move a table from the shed. He makes such a fuss about my wife being paranoid about spiders, so I thought, I won't look. When we got the table out - sure enough - there was a great big red back next to where my hand had been! But it's actually quite hard to get the little buggers to bite. They aren't that aggressive. They like the dark, drains and such and sheds.

Funnel webs are a different matter - but they are only in the Eastern States.

Unless you go looking for a snake, you will probably never see one. The only one that won't scarper is the death adder. These hide in leaves, so don't walk on leaves! I've never heard of anyone ever being biten - but if you are really worried - learn what to do and carry a first aid kit.

As I always tell my kids - the most dangerous animal in the world has two legs and drives a car. Ignore it at your peril and take appropriate precautions!