Nice areas to live around Melbourne

Guest crystalrose

Guest crystalrose

My husband is awaiting a formal offer of employment he will be based initally working from home linked up to the Head Office in Sydney. he will be based in/around Melbourne we would like to know which areas are really nice to live possibly towards the coast? we need to live near extremely good schools as we have three young children

Guest EvieB

I can't help you with schools because my son is grown up, but we have been looking closely at Mornington/Mount Martha on the Mornington Peninsula and Torquay/Ocean Grove on the West side of the Bay and they look gorgeous. Look at the photos on Travel Victoria - accommodation & visitor guide - Australia and PM me your e-mail address if you would like me to send you a copy of the Where to Live in Melbourne guide.

Yvonne.

Hi

It all depends on what you mean by good schools? my sister moved over a few years ago and found it difficult to compare the schools because her children had always gone to private schools in the UK which were very structured, uniform, sit behind desks etc so the state schools more laid back mixed abilities, open plan in some cases were so different to what she was used to that she ended up sending them to private again.

I think my niece, 16, went to Melbourne Grammar Girls and is now at Uni, my younger nephew went to a 'junior' school that I can't remember but it was in the city and is now at the boys Grammar school also in the city.

I know there quite a few people on here who have children at various schools around Melbourne and they are very happy with them, what ages are your children?

I know my sister spent quite a long time visiting schools in various areas, she needed to know that the children were in good schools before she could decide on where to live, now her problem is they have to live on the train or tram routes so that my nephew does not have to be driven every day. The children seem to travel by train and tram at quite a young age on thier own with the tram stopping by the school and someone to see them across the road at the school.

There is a book that gives you the low down on the schools, again hopefully someone can tell you what it is called.

Have you got long to decide?

Good luck:wubclub:

Guest crystalrose

Hi Kazze

Thank you for your e-mail it is most helpful. My daughter is currently studying to sit her 11+ so she can apply to Grammar School in Lincolnshire, we do not have to pay to send her to Grammar Schools in Lincolnshire would I have to pay to send her to Grammar School in or around Melbourne? if so do you have any idea on costs my eldest daughter is 10 I also have a 8 and 6 year old. I am not sure if we could afford to pay to send three children to school, I was looking around the Torquay area but again schools are a big issue but we would like to live near the coast, I guess it is just weighing everything up. My husband flew out to and stayed in Sydney and Melbourne three weeks ago and the MD e-mailed to say they were looking into Visa's and would make a firm offer of a job within the next week. We are really looking for a better quality of life for us all, you see my husband works away all week he is based in Scotland and I work full-time for Local Government if we move I would hope to work but only on a part-time basis. At the moment I leave the house around 7.30 in the morning and do not arrive home to around 6.30 in the evening sometimes 8.00 depending on the childrens activities so a complete stressful and mad life.

:spinny:

Guest crystalrose

Hi Yvonne

Thank you very much for taking time out to reply to me, the areas you have told me about any idea how far away from Melbourne they are?

Guest EvieB

Hi,

Mornington and Mount Martha are about an hour from Melbourne I believe. Torquay and Ocean Grove are about 45 minutes away but they are also very near to Geelong which is classed as a city so there is lots of work in the area. I suppose it all depends if you need to go into Melbourne city centre to work. The problem is, the nearer you get to the CDB the more expensive the houses become!

hi un sure of your buget, but williamstown is nice, close to the city there are a few good private schools that are close by (not costing the earth either) kids catch a free private bus. great area i promise it wont disapoint

Geoffrey

Guest EvieB

I can agree with Geoffrey regarding Williamstown. Lunch at Sirens overlooking the beach - bliss! Unfortunately, we can't afford to live there!

Archived