Good news and bad news!!

Guest Iain & Rachael

Guest Iain & Rachael

I have just spoken to the migration agent again, we are in the very early stages of working out how is best to get into Oz. When I spoke last time I was told we had 115 points, so I did some research and we came up with the solution of doing the Ielts test to give us an extra 10 points, all seemed sorted!! However, we would be applying in my wifes name as she is a teacher, but doesn't have the relevant experience ie she hasn't worked for 12 out of the last 24 months due to the birth of our daughter last September.

I thought the lack of experience just meant we didn't get the points for experience, however it appears that we can't even apply for the visa until she has this experience, and it has to be 20 hours a week!! So it looks like we will have to wait a year to apply, but when we do, as long as we pass the test we will have 125 points!

What I am not sure is how many points I would get, I only have a 50 point job and I am 36, I will have to check to see if we could apply in my name as I think I get 110 points, then rely on my english being half decent!!!

Oh well, it was never going to be easy was it!!

Iain

That sounds good, hope you can make it! Don't think it's all straight forward but one step at a time and it's always a good feeling to get forms sent off etc as it really feels like you are doing something! Where are you heading? Bernie

That sounds good, hope you can make it! Don't think it's all straight forward but one step at a time and it's always a good feeling to get forms sent off etc as it really feels like you are doing something! Good luck with the application the english test is a good fall back I guess if you are stuck for points. Where are you heading? Bernie

Guest Iain & Rachael

We are hoping to move to Queensland but haven't as yet pin pointed an exact location. But it is still quite a while before we can do anything about it so we have plenty of time to look.

Guest Impatient

Iain

can't say without knowing all your circumstances, but think it is unlikely you could get enough points as main applicant with a 50-point trade, as you could not get any MODL points to top you up. If you can, pop down a breakdown of what you think you can get and we can have a look.

Imp

Guest Iain & Rachael

I am not sure how the break down goes but, I am a production line planner for a glass manufacturer, with 18 years expereince, I am 36, I have a business studies degree, a britsh passport. And would look to get 10 points fron the Ielts test. Is there anything else you would need to know to work it out?

Thanks

Iain

Guest Impatient

Not sure how you would classify your skill, but going with your 50 points...

50 Points Skill (if on the Skilled Occupation List, check here)

20 Points Age

25 points English Language (Including IELTS pass)

5 points work experience (if worked in your 50 point occupation for 3 of last 4 years. This would be 10 points if your skill counted as a 60-point skill PLUS you could be eligable for MODL points 15 or 20)

5 points partner skills (but unlikely if partner does not have required experience - unfortunately the assessment is the same whether primary or secondary applicant)

Only other points would be for Australian experience or qualifications.

You need to check your skill again and see what it comes up with, the link will also tell you if it is a MODL skill. If it is, you are laughing!

Guest Iain & Rachael

Sorry for being daft but what does MODL stand for? I will have to check if I can get any of them, failing that I may have to resort to bridery and corruption!!!! Or just get my wife to get the experience!!

Guest Impatient

Migration occupants in demand. I THINK they are all 60 point skills with another 15 points on top. Tend to be practical skills (think anything to do with building a house).

Not sure how old Rachael is but she might get some more if she is under 35, but she would get 60 points for being a teacher (no MODL points though!)...

Guest Iain & Rachael

Rachael is 25, but even if she gets points for this I doubt it is going to be enough, as I doubt I would get any MODL points!! I will have to retrain as a brickie!!

Guest Impatient

Will work well if she is main applicant - she would get 30 points for age, 60 for being a teacher with experience (primary school?), upto 25 for english, and 5 points if you get your skills assessed as well. All equals 120, wham bam Perm Visa please!!!!

Guest Iain & Rachael

That is pretty much what I thought, although the agent seemed to suggest with the Ielts test we would have 125 without getting my skills assessed, not sure how she arrived at that though.

So we have to get Rachael out doing 20 hours a week for 12 months so we can apply!! Easy!!

Guest Impatient

Please note that I am not an agent so could be completely wrong, but as someone that has done their points sums lots and lots over the past 6 months the 125 point thing sounds a bit odd UNLESS Rachael is a MODL teacher...

Of course, if Rachael had 4 years experience, she could get 125 points....

Think your agent is making it up...

Guest Iain & Rachael

I think she might have done the calculation based on when she has the experience!! Bit of a worry that we have to rely on my experience and skills getting 5 points, hope I get them!!

Might go and see her in the new year and see exactly what has to be done, although it appears we can't even apply until she has 1 years experience. Still, gives me some time to save up!!

Thanks for your help!! I think it is a bit clearer now!

Guest Impatient

Iain

we are in the same boat - waiting on Mrs Imp's skills assessment and then I will need to do the IELTs thing (easy-peasy) to get 120....

Good luck

Imp

Archived