Hi!

Happylilcyclist

Hi there, just a quick courtesy introduction from me to this space, in fact I'm not sure why I'm even here! :) I've lived in Melbourne for eight years now and every time I run into an English person I feel so much better I thought this might be a good idea.

I'm a counsellor currently living in Melbourne and I'm from London. Bit of a resentful move though, I married an Australian and he's pleased to be home. I'm hoping here I can find some English people for a bit of a chat, a virtual cuppa or a friendly ear. Who knows - looking forward to reading you!

Hi Happy, welcome to the forum, quite a few mixed marriages on here, I'm English, but been an Aussie citizen for 27 years now, my wife is an Aussie and she's been a British citizen for over 10 years, we've swapped back and forward between Australia and the UK quite a few times, currently back in the UK, probably got one more move left in us :laugh:

G'day - another mixed marriage here and currently back where I belong in UK but fully expecting a move back to Australia when my Olds pop their clogs but they're still both powering along at 92! I had 10 trapped years where I was desperate to return but my DH said he couldn't possibly live in UK (he's enjoying it very much but part of that may be because he expects to return eventually).

It's tough for counsellors! Who counsels the counsellors and you have to be on top of things and even keeled! Living in Cambridge now but regularly pop up to London for the day and have a great time!

You never know how the world will turn so I guess we have to live each day as if it were our last even if we come to loathe the place we are living it in!

Aw, thanks everyone! @dobsons and @Quoll, you're both right - missing home and friends can be tough. I never really had a problem with the UK weather (if you don't know any different...) and I may have to get an English supervisor (the counsellor that counsels counsellors :)) as Aussies sometimes don't get why I miss England (tea and warm lager? Fosters? Fizzy pints and "bad food" :)) I'm reading a lot about Scandinavia at the moment (top of happiness indexes, first country planning to be completely fossil free by 2030. Hopefully, that might be the plan next (anyone know anyone made the move north? Far north? :)

Aw, thanks everyone! @dobsons and @Quoll, you're both right - missing home and friends can be tough. I never really had a problem with the UK weather (if you don't know any different...) and I may have to get an English supervisor (the counsellor that counsels counsellors :)) as Aussies sometimes don't get why I miss England (tea and warm lager? Fosters? Fizzy pints and "bad food" :)) I'm reading a lot about Scandinavia at the moment (top of happiness indexes, first country planning to be completely fossil free by 2030. Hopefully, that might be the plan next (anyone know anyone made the move north? Far north? :)

I spent a chunk of last year - end of winter and spring in the very far north. Kiruna which is one of the most northerly towns in Sweden and about 140km north of the arctic circle.

I have to say I loved it. Yes its cold, but, it is a different cold. So, even on a night when it was -20 to -30 I would sit on the balcony in my Oz pj's (shorts and t-shirt). Probably the best place I have been and so much to see. The locals also love the winter far more than the summer as the winter is when most of the pass times takes place such as winter sports, ice fishing and things.

The only down sides are beer - very regulated and full strength booze can only be bought from a government shop and they open very odd hours (not open sundays) and it is eye wateringly expensive. Or the one pub, which is a great pub, but again VERY expensive.

The only other down side is summer and mosquitos - in the far north they are pretty bad. But, that is when most people take holidays south.