The true cost to migrate?????

Paul McIntyre

we are just starting out and we intend to be in oz within 18 months we will rent while we find our feet.

My wife is a nurse practitioner and i am a community worker so we will go on a skilled workers visa we have 3 children 4, 7, 9.

we need advice on how much money we need to put aside and if there is people who can talk to us about the visa process??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to take on a migration agent (ensure they are MARA registered and reputable) who will see you through the process. You'll have to work out costs for that. Any on here would be a good starting point.

As to how much for the entire move, everyone is different. There is no ideal amount, though of course, the more you can bring the better.

Things like shipping your belongings or not will also alter the costs. A sole use 20ft container, £4,000 ballpark say. Or don't ship other than personal effects and buy once here. Can buy new cheap, second hand off Gumtree and buy and sell sites etc. Or buy decent stuff and spend more. We did the latter, shipped only personal effects and bought the rest as we've gone along and as we've needed it. Got lots second hand to start off and kept some, replaced other things. Only thing I would ship over and over and did so when we moved was all my kitchen items. Down to the last tea spoon. We made do with a few cheap things (ie plastic plates we now use for picnics) and op shop stuff till it all arrived. Been good to not have to replace all that stuff. I like my kitchen ware. Others not so fussed and wouldn't ship I guess.

Flights you can easy research to see how much they wil cost for 5 of you. That will be a big chunk of change.

I'd say 3-6 months rent, plus something for a car (expensive here, even an old runaround) and a few thousand at least on top. Allow for up to 6 months without work in worst case scenario perhaps? Having said that, others will come with a lot less than that and find a way and work within weeks. Budget strictly till you've found work and then you can relax things a little.

All the above plus visa costs, medicals etc. School uniforms (costly here compared with UK)/school books etc.

I would say unless you can put together at least £30k over the next 18 months on top of your normal day to day expenditure you will struggle to make this happen. With a family of 5 ideally £50k would cover all eventualities including costs to return to the UK if things don't work out with work etc. Hopefully you have some savings already.

we are just starting out and we intend to be in oz within 18 months we will rent while we find our feet.

My wife is a nurse practitioner and i am a community worker so we will go on a skilled workers visa we have 3 children 4, 7, 9.

we need advice on how much money we need to put aside and if there is people who can talk to us about the visa process??

Far, far, far more than you expect. Even when you budget really carefully. We have been in Sydney for 3 weeks and I'm not sure we would have a lot of change of £50k when it's all added up. Now we haven't gone cheapest option and you could trim 10-20% off that figure pretty easily but everyones circumstances are different. Sample figures:

- Budget for at least one recon trip. This will be to assess houses, schools, etc. Even a budget hotel is going to be $100+ per night, plus food, car hire and of course flights. My wife went on her own for a few days but it was probably £3k when everything was added up

- Moving is going to cost £4-5k for a 20ft container. We have two kids and ended up spending in excess of £6k as we had overflow from a single container. Budget for insurance as well, which is a % of the value you are shipping

- Beware of hidden costs of leaving the UK! Our opportunity came up quickly so we had to cancel mobile phone contracts and buy ourselves out of them (almost £3k there alone, although we are now on SIM only contracts in Oz). While we made money on the car I had bought a brand new motorbike and the depreciation meant I lost almost £700 on it. We also worked out that the luggage we had wasn't going to be big enough so spent almost £300 getting new luggage

- We figured that we would only be moving half way round the world once so we all went business class which was horrifically expensive (but worth it!). Even without that for a family of four it was going to be ~£6k to fly out.

- Your first few days you are going to need to splash out a lot of money. Deposit plus 2 weeks rent in advance on a house, car hire, probably a hotel for a day or two. We put roughly $4k into getting a house between advance rent and deposit, about $400 in a hotel for the first day and maybe another $500 on a car

- You then need to establish a home. Oz houses (or at least Sydney) don't come with white goods so we had to but a washing machine, fridge, microwave as well as basics like kettle, iron, etc. We bought decent stuff, I can't remember the price but I doubt we had much change from $3-4k when all the electricals were included

- Add then you need all the disposable stuff until your own furniture catches up with you. Air beds, bean bags, crockery, pots and pans. Again we bought a mix of really good stuff (high end pans for example) and stuff we can throw (air beds, sleeping bags, towels). This is an estimate but $2.5k will cover it

- And then you need to make your house a home! Especially with young kids. A TV, broadband and mobile phones, BBQ, hammock and deck chairs. Again spend what you can afford - we got a cracking TV, a good hammock and cheap BBQ and other bits but still another $2k+

- You'll probably want to buy a car from a dealer when fresh in country and the absolute cheapest we found was $2.5k for a ratty old Holden station wagon. We spent $6.5k on a really good condition 2004 Ford. Add another $1,500 - 2k for reggo, insurance, etc

- Different states have different rules but in NSW kids in secondary schools whose parents are on a 457 visa pay $5k per child per year for state schools and 50% of this is in advance. That's another $5k immediatly for us. Add a whole set of top to toe uniforms, shoes, books, "voluntary"contributions and your looking at another $1500+. And in secondary school kids need a decent laptop, (Macbook Air, $1300 each; ouch)

That's off the top of my head and a lot of those figures you can ratchet up or down according to your own budget and needs and some won't apply to you. Be under no illusion though it is mind bendingly expensive. At this point though it was worth every penny and I'd spend the same again if I had to!

Forgot to say that visa fees and fees for the Migration Agent were taken care of by the company so no idea what they were but "not cheap" would be my guess

Edited by AndrewMcD

Guest The Pom Queen

I love the idea of the new migration cover. I wish this had been around when we made the move.

[h=2]Migration Insurance cover[/h]

aubannerrectangle.gif

Migration to Australia made easy

Moving to Australia is a big step but one made easier by a new insurance product that will help skilled migrants overcome some of the common obstacles.

Migrating to Australia is a dream for many Brits, but the process can be long and testing for individuals and families alike. Although the benefits of life in Australia are obvious, the risks associated with moving to a new country can put off some hopefuls.

The thought of starting a new life in a country thousands of miles away from more familiar surroundings is enough to make them think twice. Furthermore, the costs involved in shipping, transporting and setting up a life in Australia can be extremely high which can limit who, in reality, is able to immigrate.

Questions constantly plague the migrant’s mind, such as; What will happen if a family member at home becomes ill? What will happen if I am involuntarily made redundant? How will I return home if I need to?

However, thousands of people each year do make the trip to Australia, and manage to secure a permanent visa. They know the pressure to go home may come one day, and the loss of a job or serious illness can very quickly change their circumstances.

Ex-Pats in Australia also appreciate that if they have to come back to their country of embarkation, the expense will be theirs and theirs alone. They know only too well about the costs they paid out to move to Australia, so the thought of doing it all again in a short space of time, with little funds, is a burden that they always carry with them.

This is also a significant issue for employers, who face losing their newly hired staff for issues that may be out of their control, making migrant hires a more complex and expensive process than is necessary. This is especially frustrating where talent has been brought in from another country to help develop services or products within Australia using skills that may not be easily available within the country.

Thankfully, there is a now an insurance product that can help alleviate some of that moving stress. Migration Cover offers the first comprehensive insurance product created specifically for skilled migrants. It provides a sense of security  for people immigrating, or those who have already immigrated, to Australia.

Migration Cover’s experience has shown that skilled migrants are most concerned about
:

1. Leaving family behind

2. Illness or death in the family, including the migrants themselves

3. Involuntary redundancy

4. Leaving property behind

The product reduces the anxiety of immigrating by covering the policyholder’s repatriation, employment advocacy and travel needs.

Migration Cover costs less than you think, with packages to suit all budgets, whether you are single or have a family. So migrants can now ‘Go with Confidence!’™

For more information and a free quote, visit
www.migrationcover.com

x2 Adults

Shipping = 2200 GBP

Flights = 1100 GBP

Cheap car = 7000 AUD

That was it.

Stayed with friends till there were two pay cheques coming in (5 weeks). Then moved into a rental. Bought missing furniture, then got a better car.

Edited by Bibbs

My wife was a nurse practitioner in uk , it's completely different out here so you may need to look at what job is actually available

As for costs I think we spent around £10k although we didn't ship a lot on hindsight we should have shipped more.

Good luck on your move , as you can see it's a wealth of first hand experience on here which helps a lot as its a roller coaster ride a times

x2 Adults

Shipping = 2200 GBP

Flights = 1100 GBP

Cheap car = 7000 AUD

That was it.

Stayed with friends till there were two pay cheques coming in (5 weeks). Then moved into a rental. Bought missing furniture, then got a better car.

I prefer your budget to the ones above!! We'll stay with inlaws until we have jobs. They have oodles of house stuff we can use in our first rents so we'll just replace it when we can. Seen flights for 2 adults , 2 kids for £1300. , we will have to buy a car maybe2 though. Kids are citizens so no big school fees. Certainly hoping it wont be costing us

£50k!

I prefer your budget to the ones above!! We'll stay with inlaws until we have jobs. They have oodles of house stuff we can use in our first rents so we'll just replace it when we can. Seen flights for 2 adults , 2 kids for £1300. , we will have to buy a car maybe2 though. Kids are citizens so no big school fees. Certainly hoping it wont be costing us

£50k!

Renting is a lot cheaper here in Tasmania Bound4Tassie. Finding jobs might be harder in Tasmania though - depends what you are looking for.

£50k!

Wow, who are those prices with?

£50k!

Doesn't have to be expensive. The biggest expense since moving, has been a divorce.

£50k!

That's pretty much what we did but we did ship a large Movecube of stuff over and stored that in a relatives car port for a while. Staying with family (we lived in the rumpus room out back) meant we could save more for a house and we bought a place within 8 months of arriving in Aus. Husband had a job from the off and I worked part time and slowly built up to about 25 hours a week. Loads of stuff came our way from a house clearance but we didn't need it all. And we've added our own furniture since then.

x2 Adults

Shipping = 2200 GBP

Flights = 1100 GBP

Cheap car = 7000 AUD

That was it.

..... in my book, the cost of that missing furniture and the cost to update to a better car should also be included in your costs. Also the cost of car insurance, home insurance, mobile phone contracts, broadband, phone, all are costs you need money for early on. Plus I'm sure you ate a bit of food and gave your friends some money for putting you up?

£10500 5 years ago family of 4.Short term rent, car, bond for long term rent and living costs for 1 month before I started work came out of that figure.Prior to leaving UK £3500 for 20ft container and cost of flights and visa medicals. Job arranged before leaving and they payed for visa which I filled out myself. I would say £20000 tops for everything but I had a job to go to.

When we started our migration journey we had around £70k in savings, 9 months in we were broke BUT with hindsight we wasted a lot of money and that includes a lot of things people perhaps don't include.

We had a 5 week reccie (& traveled Premium Economy - told you we wasted money!)

We rented a holiday let for two months as we arrived end of November and we were worried about being homeless at Christmas!

We shipped everything so had a 40ft container

We didn't want to be without our bikes for two months so we air freighted one each

I didn't work for 7 months but we continued to live as we always had to a large extent

We had a migration agent and a consultant for my husbands ACS RPL

We bought a very cheap banger when we arrived and then spent $30k on two newer cars (although that is pretty much covered by the £15k we got selling our UK cars not included in the £70k)

We had trip back to the UK within the first year (why??? well I do know why but madness!)

I am including all the things we wouldn't have spent if we hadn't migrated, on the up side we made $60k on our house in Perth and prices in Scotland went down whilst we were away so we came back in pretty much the same financial position, dodged the GFC and had a fantastic adventure. It's only money at the end of the day :)

Uk costs.

Spouse visa - £1000. No agent.

Flights for 2.5 people - £1300

Shipping, part container, 1 bed unit - £2000

Aus costs.

No short term rental, stayed with my parents.

Borrowed car for a month from grandparents.

Borrowed spare furniture from rellies until container arrived.

The above - Priceless!

Bond and rent for 2 bed unit, 1st two months - $1600

Deposit on new car - $2000

First shop at supermarket after unit moved into - $700

Running around getting everything sorted for the first month - $1000

Outdoor table setting, used as dining table until container arrived - $400

Chest freezer - $300

Fridge, wedding present from my parents, 10 years late..........

Washing machine - $700

Car Licences for two - $300

Nurse was working within a month, teacher working within two months, so no costs given after first month.

..... in my book, the cost of that missing furniture and the cost to update to a better car should also be included in your costs. Also the cost of car insurance, home insurance, mobile phone contracts, broadband, phone, all are costs you need money for early on. Plus I'm sure you ate a bit of food and gave your friends some money for putting you up?

You don't need any of that early on. It was all sorted once settled. That money came out of the the first pay cheque. So it wasn't a 'migration' cost, but 'living' costs.

Why would I add the cost of extra furniture (from a 2 bed UK house to a 4 bed Aus house) or 2 expensive cars? Or insurance I didn't need or get?

I did pay friends, but only a few months after I'd moved out. And it was a few hundred dollars to cover bills.

Edited by Bibbs

We moved over in 1999 so our costs would not be really relevant in today's climate, But being a Yorkshire man I can tell you it was cheap. We did live with my brother here for some 6 weeks whilst we bought a house so that helped, we bought a house straight away purely for the reason of not frittering away the money from the sale of our UK house. It took me about 4 weeks to get work on half the UK salary. We bought a car at the auctions - ex government holden commodor, 2 yr old, low milage and 1 year of warranty still on it, Linda Loved it and cried when we traded it in 10yrs later.

We brought just about everything with us (except fridge TV and washing machine) we got a 4 bed home contents for two adults and two working age teenagers into a 20' container and still had room to include an extra living room suit 3,2 & 1 seaters and I thought we had a lot of stuff but some of you guys needing a 40' container must be hoarders!

with cost I am seeing on here for these days it would certainly make me think if I could or should I say want, to afford to emigrate or at the very least trim down and keep things to basic necessities.

Good luck to all.

A more honest way to answer the "How much does it cost" question is to ask "How much have you got?" Because as long as you have money in your migration budget you will find something to spend it on, once that money is gone you'll stop spending. And as long as people have been migrating and have considered money the prime factor they have been getting creative with ways to save money - as the air fare example above shows! If money is more important than time or comfort then a smaller / regional carrier with multiple stops or long layovers can be spectacularly cheap by comparison.

I do agree that people shouldn't confuse deferring a migration cost and paying for it from an Oz paypacket with eliminating that cost all together. Staying with friends or family doesn't mean you don't need to pay a bond on a home it just means that your cashflow is easier and you pay for it from local earnings not UK savings. Every cent you spend that you wouldn't spend if you stayed in the UK is a migration cost, even if it's months later. These "hidden" costs really torpedoed us as I'm just calling them out because you don't think about the costs of - for example - cancelling your Satellite TV contract as a migration cost but it is something you will possibly have to pay