OMG, it's finally happening

Anthony71

After years of thinking about it, trying to get the points required and then obtaining a visa, we were granted the holy grail in July. Having visited Aus in Feb to activate our visa we've now sold our house and are planning the big move for August.

So, a big hello to all those in the same boat as us and to all those Poms that have already made the leap. These are scary times, giving up a perfectly good job does not seem natural, nor does selling your home. Eeek.

I hope to speak to some of you soon... Any advice is welcome.

Nice one matey..... Hope it all goes really well.

My advice - unless you really like massive expensive cities, put this new lease of life to use by dedicating your effort to getting set up in a regional town / city.

Some options (just my 2c but I have been here a while);

- Newcastle, NSW

- Thirroul, NSW

- Tamworth, NSW

- Bendigo, Vic

- Ballarat, Vic

- Geelong, Vic

- Warrambool, Vic

- Mount Gambier, SA

- Busselton, WA

May have got some spelling wrong so apologies in advance.

Oh, and I wouldn't refer to coming here as the 'holly grail' - that kind of place / country just doesn't exist I;m affraid. How-ever, getting well set up in any of the above can come sneakly close if you try :-)

Yeah, change in SOL got in the way so took longer than expected. We're heading to Sydney area, my wife's brother already lives there. Thanks for the offer, we still have loads t organise before we move.

Arggghhh, thought I may have got to one before the dreaded Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide words... Ah well - enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
After years of thinking about it, trying to get the points required and then obtaining a visa, we were granted the holy grail in July. Having visited Aus in Feb to activate our visa we've now sold our house and are planning the big move for August.

So, a big hello to all those in the same boat as us and to all those Poms that have already made the leap. These are scary times, giving up a perfectly good job does not seem natural, nor does selling your home. Eeek.

I hope to speak to some of you soon... Any advice is welcome.

Congrats... We too have been in it for the long haul of countless hoops to jump to gain the holy grail visa!!

Have be you sorted shipping, bank accounts and flights etc? We shopped around with shipping company's and settled for PSS as they offered good service and quote. They tried to charge £75 to put TV in a wooden box after being to it would be free, we questioned this and got this added for no fee. They quoted a high insurance fee also for the container so we shopped around and found quotes less then half the price, again we mentioned this and they matched the lower quote. We have done it the fast way and set up a few bits in a week, let me know if you need any info.... Welcome

to the rollercoaster of emotions and stress all for the dream ending!!