Where do I start?

Rosetintedglasses

My family are starting to look at the prospect of emigrating to oz. I'm a paramedic, my wife is a critical care nurse, we are in our mid 30's. Both of us are experienced in the role but it looks like my wife will have the glory of being the main applicant as her job is on the 'list' whilst I'm surprised that mine isn't, we have 2 young kids.

we have been doing homework as regards to the area we should look at, we would need moderately cheap house prices but not too far from hospitals for our commute. We wouldn't want to live in a big city.

This is is as far as we've got so far....

any hints, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

any information from other paramedics would be fabulous, I notice that there are a few different level paramedics, which one would be comparable to my current role? I don't have a degree, just old school in house training!

thanks all

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would look at is the visa and ensure you qualify. you are correct that I think your wife is going to be the main applicant. But, she needs to ensure she can obtain enough points as well - so look through immi.gov.au

second, I would look at the registration process for nurses. The first question being does she have a degree?

As as for where to live - have you decided which state yet?

Hi, thank you.

my wife does have a critical care degree, we did look into her visa status and it does look like she would score enough points. We haven't actually applied just yet.

As for location, not really. We're reading up as much as we can and are only succeeding in confusing ourselves. Near Perth is in the running, as is somewhere near Brisbane... Completely the opposite side of the country!

If you dont want to be in a capital city (and coming from Wales I can understand that) dont look at capitals like Perth and Brisbane, look for large country towns. Qld, you could look at Toowoomba - heaps of good hospitals and great schools, housing is still very affordable, or Warwick they have a good hospital. You could look further North like Rockhamptom, Townsville, Mackay. NSW there is Bathurst, or Orange, Vic you could look at the Mornington Peninsula, or even Ballarat. Sure others can give you names in there state.

Looking on realestate.com.au is a good indication of house prices for both rent and for sale

You might want to look at the paramedic role in WA - it's a while ago now but it used to be more like a glorified Red Cross worker than a critical care paramedic type. I once worked with a load of Canberra paramedics (prided themselves on being the best in the country) and they were all pretty happy with their lot - could do worse than Canberra!

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to look at the paramedic role in WA - it's a while ago now but it used to be more like a glorified Red Cross worker than a critical care paramedic type. I once worked with a load of Canberra paramedics (prided themselves on being the best in the country) and they were all pretty happy with their lot - could do worse than Canberra!

I've been told SJA in WA aren't recruiting for the foreseeable future, whereas I believe NSW and QLD are recruiting now and they will sponsor you on a 457