looking to move from the uk to OZ on 457 visa ? any help or advice

Danny Walton

hi

my name is danny & im a 36 year old fully time served HGV mechanic also with a mechanical background in cars ( VW/AUDI speciality) & 4x4 ( landrovers a speciality ) too

my wife is lucy 32 & a cleaner in a super market , we have a daughter sophie 11yrs old too

we are curretly pondering the idea of moving from the uk ( North east / teesside ) to newcastle region of NSW as i have my dad & his wife who live nearby in stroud

ive also got a mate / ex work collegue who works in perth so there is that avenue in too

i would be looking to obtain a job as a hgv mechanic or landrover mechanic on a 457 visa & bring my family oyut to

any help advice or links to how i go about this whould be great

thanks in advance danny

Not a bright idea - school fees in NSW are $5k pa so that might take a big chunk of your money. WA has also just imposed school fees too. Employers are not noted for their high wages for temporary visas! If you can, go for a permanent visa, with a family, a temporary one is altogether a very risky option. Check and see if you are eligible for something permanent.

A 457 visa is for 4 years and as your daughter is 11 now it would be a bad time to move to Australia for 4 years - exams in Australia are taken at 17/18 so at the least you would need her to complete her high school education there. With so many young people going to university these days that would also be a consideration - even if you delayed going so that she completed high school there then issues could arise as she would not be entitled to domestic fees in the UK until you had been resident for 3 years.

The following trades are on the SOL which would enable you to potentially apply to migrate permanently to Australia - would you fit into any of these?

[TABLE=class: table-100, width: 691]

[TR]

[TD]Motor Mechanic (General)[/TD]

[TD]321211[/TD]

[TD]TRA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Diesel Motor Mechanic[/TD]

[TD]321212[/TD]

[TD]TRA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Motorcycle Mechanic[/TD]

[TD]321213[/TD]

[TD]TRA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Small Engine Mechanic[/TD]

[TD]321214[/TD]

[TD]TRA[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

If not and you have an appetite for risk, then it is possible after two years on a 457 that your employer may sponsor you for permanent residency - I guess if you went for two years and sponsorship wasn't then available so long as you returned before your daughter entered her last two years of school in the UK then no real harm would have been done to her education.

There is a lot of other issues with a 457 though, as mentioned you would have to pay school fees and you would get no benefits - most families get family assistance to help with child care costs at least and it may be difficult to manage on your salary alone. You could have additional medical costs too as the reciprocal agreement only covers 'necessary' treatment and most temporary residents have private health insurance. Also if unfortunately during your time on a 457 someone in the family became seriously ill then PR may no longer be an option as medicals are required.

Spend some time browsing this forum for 457 success and failure stories to find out what you could be letting yourself in for.

I guess I could class myself as a 457 success story, we used a 457 to get out more quickly whilst our PR visa was being processed and got PR 9 months after arriving, however I wish we had waited as it tied my OH into an employer for two years and a bullying boss made his life a misery. We arrived in November and if we had been on a PR he would not have gone back after Christmas. Sadly it seems to be a common experience, I don't know if bullying is more rife in Australia or whether being a migrant makes you more vulnerable to it.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

• 2 months later...