Moving to sydney

Guest Jojo

Hi,

I am new to this site and it looks fab. My family and I have just recieved our visas and we are moving to Sydney in sept. yay !! Anybody out there moving to sydney this summer?? It seems like we have a mountain to climb what with finding accomodation, schools, sports clubs etc etc the list is endless. Any tips?? We are moving to the Eastern suberbs...any advice on areas? anyway lots of questions so any answers would be much appriciated.

Jo

Guest graham$nic

Hi jo carnt really help on areas but we hope to be in sydney by october we will be staying with brother in law for the start and he is in Manly,hope all goes well for your move and a big congratulations on your visa good luck to you all

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi,

Cant ofer any advise on Sydney I'm afriad but just wanted to say congratulations on getting your visa!

Lou

Hi jo carnt really help on areas but we hope to be in sydney by october we will be staying with brother in law for the start and he is in Manly,hope all goes well for your move and a big congratulations on your visa good luck to you all

Have you got your visas yet? or are they being processed? I can't believe we've done it it has taken 15months and its been painful at times but really worth it!

Guest melly1982

Hi Jo,

My family and I moved to eastern surburbs in Sydney last September. I will get my mum to IM you with further information.

Regards,

el.

Guest koala12

Hi Jo

I moved to Eastern Suburbs with my husband and eldest daughter (24) last September too - whereabouts are you living and how are you finding it?

Hope to hear from you soon

Guest koala12
Hi,

I am new to this site and it looks fab. My family and I have just recieved our visas and we are moving to Sydney in sept. yay !! Anybody out there moving to sydney this summer?? It seems like we have a mountain to climb what with finding accomodation, schools, sports clubs etc etc the list is endless. Any tips?? We are moving to the Eastern suberbs...any advice on areas? anyway lots of questions so any answers would be much appriciated.

Jo

oops, I misread your threat, thought you had already moved!!!! Have you been to Australia before and do you know Eastern Suburbs at all? We moved here because my husband has family in the area so it seemed sensible place to live for the time being - it's quite expensive area though so we had to move a little bit further out, we're in East Botany which is about 10 minutes drive from Maroubra, 15 minutes from Coogee and about 20 from Bondi. It is very easy to get into the City from here, my daughter gets the bus straight in every day to work and there are lots of schools about. If you want to know anything please ask and I'll try and help you.....

We are coming to Sydney too!

We have no date yet but soon says the man who is dealing with the paper work!!

can't be soon enough for us. We are looking at Surry Hills area, hubbie is a designer and I work with kids currently but am looking for a complete change I think.

In for a penny, in for a pound!!

Good luck and share how you get on from here on in:jiggy:

Guest melly1982
We are coming to Sydney too!

We have no date yet but soon says the man who is dealing with the paper work!!

can't be soon enough for us. We are looking at Surry Hills area, hubbie is a designer and I work with kids currently but am looking for a complete change I think.

In for a penny, in for a pound!!

Good luck and share how you get on from here on in:jiggy:

Hi,

Good luck with your move, whenever that might be! I know the Surrey Hills location, but not well as we live slightly further out in the surburbs. It's quite a good location for getting into the city. Whereabouts in the UK are you at the moment?

Mel.

Guest koala12

Hi Twinkle,

Good luck with the move! We've been in Sydney about 6 months now and love it - we live in East Botany (Eastern Suburbs). Have you been out here before for holidays or just going for it? I don't think you'll be disappointed, it's a great place....keep in touch and let us know how things are gong?

Best wishes

Guest koala12

We lived on Essex/London borders so we were near neighbours in UK too....what a coincidence....are you following us by any chance!!!!!

Hi Koala,

we are just going for it! we figure what is the worse that can happen?!

Maybe a little niave but we like taking risks and from what I have heard( most good) and from what we are leaving I don't think it will be too bad!

What made you make the leap?

Guest koala12

Good for you. I'd been here twice before on holidays - husband born in England but emigrated here when he was 2 so considers himself an Aussie - and has lot of family here including his kids and 2 grandchildren! I absolutely love it here but even so it took a long while to make up mind about making the move mainly because one daughter wanted to come and the other didn't so I felt very torn, also I have parents in England. I know some people say you should come out for a holiday first to see what you think but I don't really think that's necessarily true as being in holiday mode is entirely different to being in 'living' mode so you wouldn't really be able to know for sure. All I can tell you is that I have never honestly met anyone who has been out here either on a holiday or moved here who doesn't love the place.....the lifestyle, the climate, the people - everything you can think of is so much nicer than England and there is absolutely NOTHING I miss about it other than people......Good luck!

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

were moving to sydney in july,have been before and quite like the idea of Manly but would like reccomendations for sites to look at for renting a house. have looked at realestate/domain and a few others ,any tips????????

Thanks for the words of wisdom,

I am pretty much convinced we are doing the right thing, the only time I get a pang is when others question it!

We are risk takers, have lived in Hong Kong and San Francisco, both without trying first so we are game for it!

I don't have family to leave behind so no issue there, friends are a bit harder to leave but I believe if they reaaly are true friends, they will still be there in one way, shape or form.

thanks again for the positive words:spinny:

Guest koala12

Hi Twinkle,

If I can help you with anything else don't hesitate to ask, can even give you my email address if you want to use that instead of here all the time? I don't think you've got anything to lose and potentially so much to gain! It does help living here that we speak English and drive on the same side of the road so it's not such a culture shock as perhaps the other places you lived!!!

It is hard to leave people behind, in my case one daughter and parents and a few other people I miss too, but with emails, etc you can keep in touch daily apart from the 'phone calls and whilst it's not quite the same as seeing each other in person it's a good way to maintain contact. Your true friends will always be your friends whether you live next door or on the other side of the world.....

Good luck and keep in touch

Hi think i have missed the boat on this conversation !!! we hope to move around Coogee or Maroubra. We leave in sept its very scary!!

Hi Jo,

We are moving to Sydney if visa gets approved, hoping to move to Epping or Carlingford area as we like the country life, unless Koala can advise other for living. Visa due in the next 2-3 months hopefully x

Lynne & Tony & Kids xxxx :biggrin:

Guest melly1982
Hi think i have missed the boat on this conversation !!! we hope to move around Coogee or Maroubra. We leave in sept its very scary!!

Hi,

That's 10 mins from where my mum (koala12) and me are!!!

Guest koala12

Jojo, how exciting - you are moving near us and we'll be neighbours!!!!! Do keep in touch and let us know how things are going and perhaps we can all meet up when you arrive to welcome you!! It is all scary and hard work but so worth it once you get here - you'll love it!!:)

Best wishes

Hi Koala and melly1982, thanks for your post, yes would love to stay in touch...how far is East botany from Waverley as my son will be going to school there. What about Maroubra? apparently it has abit of a reputation. Just trying to get an idea on areas and distance!! We can't wait to leave England and start afresh, only 5 months to go. We have been looking at flights and shipping containers etc, its all so real now. We must def meet up as I will be a billy no mates when i arrive!!! Don't take that the wrong way tho !!! haha

Archived