I'm tired of the incessant sunshine and warmth. No wonder so many people want to go home!

MARYROSE02

It's not even the middle of September, and apart from the odd, and welcome shower, all we are seeing here in Sydney is sun, sun, sun, and after chilly mornings, warm, warm, warm.

Don't come to Australia if you can't put up with at least eight months of this ever year, followed by what, in England, would be classed as summer, not winter!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Brisbane last month or so has had far better weather than when I was in UK in June.

In fact had the heating on more times in UK in 3 weeks in summer than I did for whole year in Brisbane. :cool:

It's not even the middle of September, and apart from the odd, and welcome shower, all we are seeing here in Sydney is sun, sun, sun, and after chilly mornings, warm, warm, warm.

Don't come to Australia if you can't put up with at least eight months of this ever year, followed by what, in England, would be classed as summer, not winter!

why dont you move to Melbourne!

Yeah Brisbane last month or so has had far better weather than when I was in UK in June.

In fact had the heating on more times in UK in 3 weeks in summer than I did for whole year in Brisbane. :cool:

To be fair, and despite a mostly pleasant winter, I have had a succession of 'bugs' and 'wogs' and 'viruses' and coughs and colds and fungal infections and eye infections, mostly in the late summer/autumn. (cue violins.)

I've managed a few swims through the winter months. It always feels a little chill when I go in but it's OK and I'm only in for a couple of minutes, but I never swam in England past the end of September or pre May..

You get used to anything, as I did when I went back to England for twelve years, but those grey, dank, dull, winter days in the UK are not so nice, especially if you have just flown in from OZ!

Lovely day here too. It is 22C in my backyard.

Bugs, wogs and viruses Maryrose? That's big city living for you. In spite of some very cold weather and even a bit of snow here, I haven't even had a sniffle since moving here.

Half your luck. My brother stayed with me through three colds and he did not catch a single one.

After an Australian summer I'm generally happy with a bit of rain. Feel a bit like that in the south east UK this year.

Hope you enjoy the next 9 months then Newjez :wink:

Winter in the south is only really four months. The weather doesn't bother me. We check the forecast and attack the day if it's good. If it's not, we swim, play squash, roller skate or go to the driving range. Plenty to do on a rainy day. It's the lack of sunlight that gets me down.

How very boring it is. I much prefer the 4 definite seasons. :xmas7:

We need more 'keep in real threads' on PIO. Does that equate 'feel bad' threads in your book?

I sometimes wish the 'feel bad' threads were more specifically about Australia, than what happens elsewhere in the world, apart from the UK. Unfortunately, people are not really interested in 'feel good' stories, whether about Australia or elsewhere. Unless of course you can introduce a bit of 'conflict' into the 'feel good' stories. I recall once trying to do it by arguing that 'Austrlalian roundabouts were better than English roundabouts' but some people took it seriously.

Ha Ha been getting up early to enjoy the last of the cool mornings. Still getting a cool breeze from about 3pm and loving it. Sure many Poms will be saying what the ?? give us some sunshine but you are right I really miss rain and cool days.

Winter in the south is only really four months. The weather doesn't bother me. We check the forecast and attack the day if it's good. If it's not, we swim, play squash, roller skate or go to the driving range. Plenty to do on a rainy day. It's the lack of sunlight that gets me down.

Everything is is geared for the bad weather in the North! The flip side to that is the fantastic indoor facilities, huge sport centres everywhere. Right now I'm looking at The Chill Factor, an indoor alpine ski slope. Amazing.

I agree, the short winter days are depressing, I'm still enjoying my glass of wine in the garden at 8pm though, not bad for Sept. :wink:

Everything is is geared for the bad weather in the North! The flip side to that is the fantastic indoor facilities, huge sport centres everywhere. Right now I'm looking at The Chill Factor, an indoor alpine ski slope. Amazing.

I agree, the short winter days are depressing, I'm still enjoying my glass of wine in the garden at 8pm though, not bad for Sept. :wink:

The short winter days never bothered me. Some people get that Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) but can't say I ever had it. I do miss the long summer evenings though. We used to go for walks at 10:00 pm - lovely. Have to say though that we do get the longer summer evenings here in Tasmania.

Because it gets to 40 in summer !

Sydney has its 40 degree days too, not too many, but they generally come with very unpleasant humidity. I don't like being out in the heat of the day during summer, but I love the balmy evenings, whether in the city or staying late at the beach.

Edited by MARYROSE02
'uc' for Sydney, i.e. 'sydney.'

The short winter days never bothered me. Some people get that Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) but can't say I ever had it. I do miss the long summer evenings though. We used to go for walks at 10:00 pm - lovely. Have to say though that we do get the longer summer evenings here in Tasmania.

I thought it was called 'MAD' in Australia, i.e. 'Melbourne Affective Disorder!'