UK weather: Imminent heatwave 'could kill thousands'

Perthbum

Why do the gutter press come out with such crap?

The UK may be getting ready to enjoy a heatwave, but experts are warning that people could DIE as temperatures soar.

The summer scorcher will see thermometers rocket next week as high as 35C, and maybe even higher.

Even those in sunny hotspots such as Corfu, California, Florida and Hawaii will be jealous of us sun-starved Brits, as experts predict our weather will better exotic holiday destinations.

However, the extreme heat could be deadly, it has been warned, with people suffering from breathing and heart conditions told to take extra care.

Malcolm Booth, chief executive of the National Federation of Occupational Pensioners, said: "Often the focus is on the cold weather which kills thousands but extreme heat can be just as dangerous.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-imminent-heatwave-could-5952505

The UK may be getting ready to enjoy a heatwave, but experts are warning that people could DIE as temperatures soar.

The summer scorcher will see thermometers rocket next week as high as 35C, and maybe even higher.

Even those in sunny hotspots such as Corfu, California, Florida and Hawaii will be jealous of us sun-starved Brits, as experts predict our weather will better exotic holiday destinations.

However, the extreme heat could be deadly, it has been warned, with people suffering from breathing and heart conditions told to take extra care.

Malcolm Booth, chief executive of the National Federation of Occupational Pensioners, said: "Often the focus is on the cold weather which kills thousands but extreme heat can be just as dangerous.

35C - horrid! I don't envy you that heat. Anything over 25C is too hot for me :cool:

Edited by JockinTas

So why not print the article in full on here, and go through it in detail explaining exactly why it is 'crap?'

35C - horrid! I don't envy you that heat. Anything over 25C is too hot for me :cool:

Iam with you jock 25c max for me .....above 35c is survival mode ...the spring and summer has been all over the place ....april very good ...may shitte ....june not up too much ,very muggy ..lets see about the so called heatwave

Lets be honest ,the worlds weather I'd f..ed...you can get 15c in January here in the u.k now .

And the same temp in June ...the cycles are speeding up ...heat heat and then loads of rain ....flooding and then bloody drought

Went out early this morning to work ....got everything done ,and we are having one of those rare days that poms wait for ( anyone watching Wimbledon ).....i thought I will sit out the back .....10 mins later iam back in .....not for me anymore iam afraid ,its currently only 25c in the shade....not for me anymore

35 is not that hot for us but it doesn't seem to cool down overnight much when you get those temps in the UK. The houses are not really geared for hot weather so you feel it a lot more than in Australia.

I remember hearing some Aussies interviewed at Wimbledon when there was a heatwave, and they said 'This is not hot. We are Aussies.' Yes,' I thought, 'but when the thermometer drops below 15 degrees in winter, you start to talk about electric blankets and heaters.' Then again, just as Pommie homes are not built for a summer heatwave, so Aussie homes are not built for a short but very sharp winter, hence, freezing houses, with no insulation or central heating.

It was cold, as usual this morning, in Sydney, but after a twenty minute walk at lunchtime, I was sweating in the winter sunshine, and masses of people were sitting out in the parks. I wish it was about 20-25 degrees every day.

Yeah ,the one thing you can keep in oz ,is your weather ....I do not desire 30c plus on a regular basis .

I remember opening the 100% block blinds of a morning to be hit with that intense searing heat and light ...as I get older ...no thanks

35 is not that hot for us but it doesn't seem to cool down overnight much when you get those temps in the UK. The houses are not really geared for hot weather so you feel it a lot more than in Australia.

Its as if its a macho competition who can function in the hottest weather ...what a load of bs .....35-40c is uncomfortable anywhere ....thats why the beaches were virtually empty when w.a had a heatwave a few years ago

You don't live and function in 40c ...you survive

People are sent home from work ...sporting tournaments are cancelled...and older people die .....keep it tea please

Well we bought an Ipad before we went to UK on holiday (got the tax back too) and I can honestly say...........what a load of dog dirt. it has to be the most user unfriendly thing since the left handed rubber toffee hammer was about. Curser not going where you want it so you have to delete to get where you want, highlighting words when you only want the curser there, things disappearing things popping up. I got blocked from my email account for the whole of the holidays because I was using an Ipad to access my account. Everybody telling me I had to give my credit card details before I could get a Free App?? Eventually got an app it come with adverts, nobody except my 9 year old Granddaughter knew how to delete the app. Then having to carry it every where:arghh:

My optimum temperature to work and play is 30-32, I won't even consider jumping in the pool or sea if under 30c. I love the heat and walk in it everyday . It's 21c here today and I walked the dogs in jeans and a thick hoody. Enjoy the heatwave UK folks, the sun just makes everything feel right IMO. Glad @Johndoe is having lovely weather.

Well we bought an Ipad before we went to UK on holiday (got the tax back too) and I can honestly say...........what a load of dog dirt. it has to be the most user unfriendly thing since the left handed rubber toffee hammer was about. Curser not going where you want it so you have to delete to get where you want, highlighting words when you only want the curser there, things disappearing things popping up. I got blocked from my email account for the whole of the holidays because I was using an Ipad to access my account. Everybody telling me I had to give my credit card details before I could get a Free App?? Eventually got an app it come with adverts, nobody except my 9 year old Granddaughter knew how to delete the app. Then having to carry it every where:arghh:

Sorry this has gone on the wrong thread, should have gone on findings in chewing the fat, Mods can you do your job please?

Would you rather there were no warnings? Looks to me as though the press are just passing on the information, and nothing to do with "gutter press".

If anything happened to you or your "loved ones" you would probably be the first to cry" why weren't we warned". At least now people are aware of what "could"

happen.

Mike