Somerville Mornington Peninsula Shire

Petals

Somerville

I have lived in Somerville for over twenty years and seen it grow from a village to a small town. There are about four thousand people living in Somerville and about ten thousand live around about on small acreage and larger farms and horse studs.

Somerville was originally a centre of the Apple growing agri industry and so was Tyabb which is six kilometres south. A lot of the elderly residents are farmers and orchadists from the area who have moved into the town on retirement. Old well known families still live in the area so that says something about it.

Somerville is eleven kilometres from Hastings, Mornington, and Frankston and not far from Baxter, Mount Eliza and Pearcedale. Pearcedale residents shop in Somerville and it has the same post code.

The attraction of Somerville is the access to major arterial roads with ease which Mornington and other areas do not have. Its five minutes from the Westerport Highway which runs into Dandeong. Ten minutes from Moorooduc Highway which joins the Frankston Freeway and therefore its better for commuting. Also there are back routes one can take.

Schools.

2 state primary schools

Catholic primary school

State high school to year 10 but there are hopes to go to year 12. It’s a new school and the architecture is very much in keeping with the environment. A wetland has been created for the school .

2 child minding centrs.

2 kindergartens

Private schools in easy vicinity say 10 minutes away.

Woodleigh at Baxter

Flinders College at Tyabb

Buses also collect children from Somerville who attend:

Padua Catholic College Mornington

Mornington State College

Westernport State College Hastings

Mount Erin Secondary College

Other private schools which children attend from Somerville 10 – 15 minutes away

Toorak College Mount Eliza

Peninsula School Mount Eliza

Bayside Christian College

St Johns Catholic College in Frankston is also popular.

Other State Colleges –

Mount Eliza Secondary

Dame Elizabeth Murdoch College – Langwarrin

Shopping

There is a village shopping centre on the eastern side of Frankston Flinders Road. Shops include Ritchies Supermarket, Butcher, two Bakers, two hairdressers, fruit shop, Ladies clothes shop (which is popular). Coffe shop. National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank. Take away shops, florist and cards. Aldi is being built nearby.

Somerville Plaza Shopping Centre

Safeway, Discount Chemist, Optician, ANZ Bank, Westpac ATM, CBA ATM, Newspaper shop. Chinese Restaurant, Subway, Charcoal Chicken. Fresh chicken shop, butcher, surf shop, coffee bar, dry cleaners, pet shop, noodle bar, Photographic shop, Womens clothes shops, subway, pizza. Large timber and hardware store.

Centro Shopping Centre

Coles Supermarket, Rivers, Reject Shop, Target, Westpac Bank, Best and Less. Book Shop, coffee bar, chemist. Small shops.

Doctors Dentists and others

There are a lot of doctors in Somerville. There are two dentists, two opticians, podiatrists, physiotherapists, chiropractor, Xray and ultrasound clinic.

Vet clinic is very good and part of the Westernport Vet practice.

Housing:

A lot of the smaller houses are now rental properties but first home buyers are buying these as they are on larger blocks of land and being cheaper they are good for refurbishment.

Larger new homes are also available but more expensive. There is still some land for sale in Somerville and a subdivision is going in opposite the new Centro Shopping Centre. Everything is walking distance in Somerville if you live in the township.

Somerville zoning is restricted and it is ringed by small acreage then a bit larger acreage and then farms. It will not be rezoned as it is green wedge.

Acreage properties like mine have no sewer and are on septic (with the drought this is a godsend)

Broadband

ADSL2 is available within the township boundaries of Somerville.

Who lives in the area. Horsey people many many. Professionals, business owners, trades people. Ordinary people. Lots of retired people.

There is a retirement village in Somerville

Sporting facilities

Basketball, Netball, Footy club, cricket club, tennis club.

Community house provides lots of things for people to do

Library is here

Transport

Train – we have the train it runs to Frankston and then people get the train to the city for work. Buses also run intermittently with the train service.

We have a pub and its popular has meals etc. The Indian Restaurant has been around for many many years and the owners own a winery and their wine is very nice. It used to be in Frankston but moved to Somerville some time ago and all its following still go there. We have gone to this restaurant for over 20 years now.

Chinese restaurants there are 2 and I must admit we do not go to them.

Thai restaurant is opening in the new complex.

Pub has meals and my son says they are ok but we prefer Baxter Tavern

We have a graffiti problem at the moment but it seems to be quite universal as there is just not enough deterrent for people and all over the Peninsula is affected.

There is a gym and swimming pool in Somerville.

Other businesses around are mechanical, panel beaters, kitchen designers, garden centre, plumbing, saddlery, Pets warehouse, solicitors, accountants, and lots of others.

• 4 months later...
Guest Leenichols

other people have your say about somerville please and we can all get together and have a chat about our great town :)

Gosh what Streets do I think are the best in Somerville, hard really because depends what type of house people want, small, large, small garden, largish garden, acreage, which side of Somerville to live on.

Somerville Village is one side of the Frankston Flinders Road and has a small supermarket and the Aldi Supermarket is being built on that side too.

Funny thing is about Somerville, people stay here even when they move, a friend of my sons just moved to a bigger house in Somerville. Neighbours of mine who lived on the acreage blocks after their children left home they moved into house on smaller land. Its just a nice place to live.

I would not live in Clarendon Drive as its a very wide road and people tend to speed hence the speed humps on the road. In fact avoid any road with speed humps or traffic calming devices as it means, lots of traffic.

I like Bayvista Rise is a nice road and there are courts one side with small blocks and courts the other side with acreage blocks, small acreage.

Stephens Place and the Woodlands Estate is a nice estate to live on, Hedgely Dean is also a nice estate with larger houses and good size blocks.

There are new estates also with new housing which has just been built.

I would avoid Graf Road, Blacks Camp Road, Park Lane, Jones Road, Eramosa Road and I would not buy near a roundabout too busy.

Cannot think of anywhere that is awful actually. Of course depends on neighbours.

• 1 month later...
Guest Leenichols

hey guys anyone seen a quadbike floating around benjamin crt/wiltshire drve i saw he attacked a guy in a car today going through eramosa rd.

Petals, Tahli the wonderdog (see my avatar) is from the boxer breeders just past the roundabout on Boes Road. My brother used to have 2 acres in Crofter's Hill Way, great spot, could see the bay from that street. Got fed up with mowing it though so retired elsewhere, but it's not a bad spot, as you say straight up the freeway or Eastlink to Glen Waverely or head into the city.

Guest kirstig123

Hi, Thanks for the great post. How far is it to the CBD? What is the drive in like? How long by train? Sorry for the abundance of questions, but any help is gratefully received.

• 1 month later...

Have not visited my post about Somerville for a while but had a read this morning from Street Adviser site.

Crofters Hill Way my friend used to live there too Olly. Unfortunately they broke up and both moved back into Somerville with different houses.

Latest news on Somerville is that the dreaded Maccas is nearly completed and rubbish will abound no doubt.

The Thai restaurant is well and truly open and from the reports I have received from people who have gone there the food is great. I am not a fan of Thai so we have not been ourselves. We usually have a pub meal at Baxter Tavern which has been extended now. I am always amazed when I am there how quickly they get the meals out.

Bungower Road which I live off is being widened, it was a mess and very narrow and because of the tarring of the southern part between Moorooduc Highway and Coolart Road more traffic is now using the link. Its a quick way to go through to Baxter Tooradin Road and over to the Gippsland Highway.

Houses are selling well in Somerville and the acreage properties are also selling. Noticed that there are a few houses with acreage for rent if anyone is into farming or horses.

Plenty of agistment around Somerville for the horse. Also riding schools etc.

We are not far from Yaringa Boat Harbour and they are hoping to expand the marina down there.

If anyone wants to learn golf or have a hit around, Bembridge is a nine hole course which is very popular and easy access to Somerville. Just take Bungower Road down to the end and turn left and its not far up on the right hand side of the road.

Stocktons Vegetable store on Frankston Flinders Road is popular and it sells Flinders Bread which is popular too. Lots of chutneys and that sort of stuff and local produce as well.

If you want fish you can drive down to Hastings Pier and there is a shop there selling fresh fish.

The bike path from Somerville to Hastings is very popular and well used for walkers and riders alike.

We now have a a bulk billing surgery in Somerville and its in the Centro Shopping Centre next to the chemist. It will be a popular one no doubt.

The new skate park is open for the skaters and being next to the Community Centre hope that it will be a good place for all age groups. I noticed on my walk to the paper shop the other morning that they have a security camera high up on the actual community centre on to the skate park so that is good.

For those of you interested in how long it takes to get to Melbourne its usually about an hour driving, going via Frankston Freeway and Nepean Highway or

Beach Road. Peak hours add ten minutes.

A lot of people take the train from Somerville and then join the city trains at Frankston.

There is a wine bar and my daughter has been there and says its ok.

The funny thing is before we came to live in Somerville I always liked it do not know why, just felt right. Not that plastic like other places I guess, bit of everything a good mix of people. Problems yep we have them here but they move on.

• 1 month later...

Somerville update.

We now have a very good Thai Restaurant in Somerville which has become very popular due to the standard of its food.

The wine bar is ok too my daughter sometimes meets friends there.

The pub can be a bit rough at times though but the pokies are definitely popular.

Macdonalds has now arrived as well so we have every kind of take away food.

Houses are selling very quickly around here, think because the smaller ones are cheaper investors are getting in as they think prices will rise when the freeway goes in down the road and also the port extension at Hastings.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pengorath

Great informative post Petals. I just would like to point out the other side of Somerville, the bad side. I have lived here for 4 years, now 2 years ago at my old residence on Chesterfield road, I never had any drama. Sure there was the occasional party on a friday night - but nothing out of hand.

I have since moved closer to the shops - and live off of Park Lane. I frequently see youth's and or other undesirables causing damage through vandalism and or maiming of properties or public properties such as street signs or lights.

I constantly worry if I have remembered to put my car in the garage, and remind friends that if they have parked on the street to 'be cautious'.

While this may not happen in winter months - now that the weather has warmed up some, and now that school is out - I can bet that we will see a rise in this kind of behavior.

The new Centro complex has given the high school students a place to loiter - that is literally with in a two minute walk of their school. Not to mention that McDonald's saw the opportunity to capitalise on both the primary and secondary schools near by.

I know this is a far cry from the likes of Frankston, Cranbourne or even Broad Meadows.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I am not saying this represents all of Somerville, I am simply stating what I have witnessed on my high traffic area street.

I really wish Somerville was what it once was, but to those who live comfortably on a large block of land well away from commonly traveled grounds, I guess that is neither here nor there.

I am all for a Police HQ to be built in the new Centro.

Great informative post Petals. I just would like to point out the other side of Somerville, the bad side. I have lived here for 4 years, now 2 years ago at my old residence on Chesterfield road, I never had any drama. Sure there was the occasional party on a friday night - but nothing out of hand.

I have since moved closer to the shops - and live off of Park Lane. I frequently see youth's and or other undesirables causing damage through vandalism and or maiming of properties or public properties such as street signs or lights.

I constantly worry if I have remembered to put my car in the garage, and remind friends that if they have parked on the street to 'be cautious'.

While this may not happen in winter months - now that the weather has warmed up some, and now that school is out - I can bet that we will see a rise in this kind of behavior.

The new Centro complex has given the high school students a place to loiter - that is literally with in a two minute walk of their school. Not to mention that McDonald's saw the opportunity to capitalise on both the primary and secondary schools near by.

I know this is a far cry from the likes of Frankston, Cranbourne or even Broad Meadows.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I am not saying this represents all of Somerville, I am simply stating what I have witnessed on my high traffic area street.

I really wish Somerville was what it once was, but to those who live comfortably on a large block of land well away from commonly traveled grounds, I guess that is neither here nor there.

I am all for a Police HQ to be built in the new Centro.

I completely agree with you and its often blowins that cause a lot of trouble hooning around because we do not have a police presence and by the time they get here they will have disappeared. The graffiti has increased a lot and all over the Peninsula not just here in Somerville. Its a real problem and really comes down to being taught respect for people's property. What is the answer wish I knew.

I know where you live and Park Lane is busy now due to the Centro Centre and the schools being a direct link to Blacks Camp Road.

This seems to come in cycles I don't know if you remember the problems that were at Fruit Growers Reserve a few years ago, they sorted that out in time. Seems we have bad lot and then years with none and then another lot same everywhere I guess.

Lets face it its the break down of family life that causes a lot of problems.

Somerville will never be like it was none of the areas will be its just progress or so they tell us.

• 8 months later...

Hi Petals

Thank you so much for all of this information, it is very useful.

We have a bit of a dilema at the moment. We lived in Hastings for just less than a year in 2008 and really got to like the area. Unfortunately we returned to the UK but were now moving back in 7 weeks.

A friend of ours knows someone who may have a unit we can rent in Somerville, its only 6 months old, and somewhere off Grafs Road. I am waiting for the full address info.

Obviously we would be very grateful to find have a place set up when we arrive, but really wanted to be in Hastings, but we feel a bit bad telling our friends no.

I understand you live in Somerville so you obviously love where you live, but do you know what the new estate off Grafs Road is like? Is it close to the railway line?

Thanks for your help xx

Archived