where to live Bayside

Guest wendy elliott

Guest wendy elliott

Hi, I am moving to Melbourne in March with my husband and 2 kids who are 2 and 4 years old. We have been considering renting in the suburbs of Bentleigh or Bentleigh East but would love to hear from anyone who knows about this area. I am going to be working in Clayton so want to be close to work. Want to be not too far out of the city or too far from the sea. One of the most important factors is schools as it's not long till my daughter starts primary school so we are looking for a school with a good reputation. We also want the area we choose to live to be family friendly with stuff for kids to do and have fairly decent shops.

We would also prefer to live in an older style of house but are prepared to compromise a bit if it was the right house.

I would be very grateful for any info or any suggestions of suburbs around that area which may fit the bill.

Many thanks!

Wendy

Bentleigh is in the City of Glen Eira Glen Eira City Council Home Page and is a nice area with older style houses, a lot of Californian Bungalows. Shopping is in Centre Road. I am not up with the schools but the council site will give you information about the schools around there. Also if you join Britvics there are people who live around that area who may be able to help you.

It is on the Frankston train line. Not a long commute to Clayton.

Have a look at http://www.domain.com.au or realestate.com.au and you will get an idea of the price of rentals in the area. Ormond is next door and is also ok.

:smile:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Wendy

Welcome to PIO and good luck with the move. As Sue has mentioned Bentleigh is in the City of Glen Eira. Personally if you are looking around the Bentleigh area I would highly consider McKinnon, it is a very ncie area and has an excellent school with superb results, 81% of the students go on to university.

Brighton is in Bayside and there are a couple of good schools there, although one is an independant school (private) and the other is a government school but to be honest the one in McKinnon is better.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Kate

Places like Keysborough, Moorabbin, Seaford & further down like Frankston & Mornington are not a far commute to Clayton. Grab a map of Melbourne and you can follow the route along the Nepean Hwy (the Melbourne beachside suburbs) and the Frankston Freeway/tollway which is all the Mornington Peninsula beachside suburbs. (Google). Bentleigh is good, and also Chelsea, can be pricey depending though. I think good value buying in South Frankston and surrounds, better house for the price etc, but just my humble opinion. Good luck with it.

Guest wendy elliott

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. It has been very helpful. Is it correct then that Bentleigh is not classed as being in Bayside it is classed as being in the City of Glen Eira?

Thanks

Wendy

Guest wendy elliott

Hi I have another question. My daughter is 4yrs and will not be 5 until 7th May. However to qualify for school entry children have to be 5yrs by 30th April which means she misses the cut off date by 7 days. The issue is that we feel she is definately ready to start school as she has been in nursery for a few years and is well able to meet all the criteria which is asked for by the Victorian Education Board in their "ready for school checklist". In the light of this we wish to appeal to the board to allow her to start school even though she is out by one week. Her nursery back here have written a report and we are going to submit it to the board. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience or has any knowledge of this sort of dilema and what our chances are of getting her in.

I would really appreciate replies on this subject. Thanks Wendy

Bentleigh is in the council district of the City of Glen Eira its not really a basyside suburb.

Actual suburbs on the bay working out south from Melbourne are Port Melbourne, South Melbourne, St Kilda, Elwoo, Brighton, Hampton, Highett, Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Mentone, Parkdale, Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Bon Beach, Carrum, Seaford, Frankston, Mount Eliza, Mornington, Mount Martha, Safety Beach, Dromana, McCrae, Rosebud, Tootgarook and more further south

Guest The Pom Queen
Is it correct then that Bentleigh is not classed as being in Bayside it is classed as being in the City of Glen Eira?

Thanks

Wendy

Wendy

This is correct, also a lot of people get confused between the suburbs along the Bay which some call Bayside and the true Bayside Council area.

In the City of Bayside the suburbs you have are:

Beaumaris

Black Rock

Brighton

Brighton East

Cheltenham

Hampton

Hampton East

Highett

Sandringham

Hope this helps.

Kate