Best suburbs to live in Melbourne for young professionals???

Guest twix15

My husband and I are weighing up whether to accept a job offer in Melbourne and come out from the UK for a few years. Part of this consideration is Melbourne as a place to live - which we are very excited about - but more specifically, WHERE!?

Does anyone know of any great suburbs for young professionals (we're both 29 year old lawyers) - we'd like to rent for the first 6 months probably then look to buy if we're able. We'd like as big a house as we can afford (anything 2/3 bedroom + is fine) with a little patch of grass out the back for our cat, and need to be no more than 30-45 minutes commute away from the CBD - either by car on a quiet commuter run (is driving to/parking in the CBD during the week feasible?) or by train/tram.

We'd also like great bars, restaurants, social activities, on our doorstep or fairly close by so we can throw ourselves into a new community and settle in and make some great friends. Also somewhere easy to get out and about on a weekend would be great - hop in the car and go for a long drive to explore the surrounding area/go away for the weekend/take a trip up the coast ....

Any info would be gratefully received!!!

Guest Ruby Okim
My husband and I are weighing up whether to accept a job offer in Melbourne and come out from the UK for a few years. Part of this consideration is Melbourne as a place to live - which we are very excited about - but more specifically, WHERE!?

Does anyone know of any great suburbs for young professionals (we're both 29 year old lawyers) - we'd like to rent for the first 6 months probably then look to buy if we're able. We'd like as big a house as we can afford (anything 2/3 bedroom + is fine) with a little patch of grass out the back for our cat, and need to be no more than 30-45 minutes commute away from the CBD - either by car on a quiet commuter run (is driving to/parking in the CBD during the week feasible?) or by train/tram.

We'd also like great bars, restaurants, social activities, on our doorstep or fairly close by so we can throw ourselves into a new community and settle in and make some great friends. Also somewhere easy to get out and about on a weekend would be great - hop in the car and go for a long drive to explore the surrounding area/go away for the weekend/take a trip up the coast ....

Any info would be gratefully received!!!

Hmm....exactly what OH and I are looking for too!! Think we'll wait to find out where our jobs are before we make a decision on where to live. Wouldn't mind buying land and designing our own home:smile:. Has anyone on this site had experience of this?

• 1 year later...

Collingwood , Brunswick St, Clifton Hill and Richmond are good too. Both have lots of little cafes, pubs, restuarants, takeaways for when you need them. About 30 mins or less on the tram/train/bus and cheap for txis if you need one. Both of them and St Kilda, S Yarra as mentioned by other people are in zone 1 - $109 a month for tram/train ticket (55 quid!!!!). when you get off the main roads they are all pretty quiet. The local swimming pools/gyms in Collingwood/Fitzroy/Richmond are pretty good. If you like cycling there are lots of safe cycle paths, Yarra Bend Park is wonderful - like the bush but almost in the centre of town. Not a bad place to live for your first 6 months until you get to know Melbourne better and decide what you want.

Guest krismiles

Only been here 2 months so far, but after you get acquainted with the place, you'll soon see there are probably 10+ good suburbs within 20 mins commute from the CBD, each with their own characteristics.

One thing to be said about melbourne people is that they're all extremely passionate about their suburb and are completely biased, so you'll need to make your own mind up. Personally i live in Port Melbourne and it's great. 10 mins to the city, 10 mins walk to the beach, quite classy and I get over to St. Kilda or fitzroy dead easy if I want to go out!

Guest gail.crease
Only been here 2 months so far, but after you get acquainted with the place, you'll soon see there are probably 10+ good suburbs within 20 mins commute from the CBD, each with their own characteristics.

One thing to be said about melbourne people is that they're all extremely passionate about their suburb and are completely biased, so you'll need to make your own mind up. Personally i live in Port Melbourne and it's great. 10 mins to the city, 10 mins walk to the beach, quite classy and I get over to St. Kilda or fitzroy dead easy if I want to go out!

I second that. We live in Port Melbourne too and there's loads of great bars and restaurants. If you get bored of them then it's only a 10 min tram ride to the city for a night out.

Gail

• 10 months later...

My partner (32) and I (28) moved here in march and still haven't touched the tip of the iceberg with Melbourne. We live in seaholme which is 25 mins on the train to the cbd .. Bit quiet tho but lovely houses. Altona (as mentioned above) is nice but again not much going on there .. Western suburbs are definitely cheaper an bigger properties for the most part.

We've a 3 bed house, balcony and patio garden right on the beach for the same cost as a 1/2 bedroom apartment in some of the areas mentioned above, make of that as you will :-s

We did stay north Melbourne when we got here and loved that area but why settle for a small apartment when you can have double a bit further out?

Williamstown is a perfect place, has bars and restaurants .. A lovely beach and 25 mins into the city on the train too.

Guest baysider
My partner (32) and I (28) moved here in march and still haven't touched the tip of the iceberg with Melbourne. We live in seaholme which is 25 mins on the train to the cbd .. Bit quiet tho but lovely houses. Altona (as mentioned above) is nice but again not much going on there .. Western suburbs are definitely cheaper an bigger properties for the most part.

We've a 3 bed house, balcony and patio garden right on the beach for the same cost as a 1/2 bedroom apartment in some of the areas mentioned above, make of that as you will :-s

We did stay north Melbourne when we got here and loved that area but why settle for a small apartment when you can have double a bit further out?

Williamstown is a perfect place, has bars and restaurants .. A lovely beach and 25 mins into the city on the train too.

Altona and its smaller enclave, Seaholme are more like quiet villages so not much of a nightlife. Williamstown has many restaurants at Nelson Place and has a fantastic view of Melbourne CBD, Westgate Bridge and yachts from the Strand and Gem Pier.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pastie

Brighton!

We moved over on a 457 last year and have lived in Brighton since November. Love it! The Sandringham train line that it's on is quiet enough in the mornings to get a seat to the cbd and takes about 25 mins. Beach on our doorstep and a couple of streets with shops, bars and restaurants.

Ideal for us anyhow!

Guest Toorak Trev

First consider your budget. In legal profession there are newly qualified on $60k to junior partners on $400k. From your budget work out what your comfortable with.

My advice is you will be working longer hours in Melbourne than in London so a quick commute home has benefits :-). Look into Armadale, Hawthorn, Richmond, South Yarra Dockland (walk to work) and others have already suggested Port Melbourne, Albert Park, Carlton.

Kew/Hawthorn, Camberwell are nice easy ride by tram/train into city. about 8 km from CBD in the eastern suburbs, or down the Beach Road like Sandringham or Brighton etc all on the beach depends what you want, also love Prahran with all the shops, easy ride to city

Archived