Views on frankston

Mandypru

Hi, I am hoping that my visa is issued early autumn and am planning to migrate to victoria with my husband and 3 children. We were pretty certain that frankston would be the perfect place to base our jobs and schools however we have just seen some tube clips with residents complaining about crime and drug use. I would appreciate any experiences or personnel views with this area. Thank you.

No different to many other places. We lived there for 11 years before moving out to the country. Some places not as good as others, like any other suburb. Preferred location is South Frankston, and the property prices reflect that. We often go into Frankston shopping, and never see any problems, though we do read of occasional problems in the CBD, but mainly around the station. Like many suburbs in many places in the World, I would be wary of walking the streets at night. Nice enough beach at Frankston, and good transport links to the city. Decent shopping around Frankston.

Hi, I am hoping that my visa is issued early autumn and am planning to migrate to victoria with my husband and 3 children. We were pretty certain that frankston would be the perfect place to base our jobs and schools however we have just seen some tube clips with residents complaining about crime and drug use. I would appreciate any experiences or personnel views with this area. Thank you.

Hi Mandy

Frankston suffers from a historical bad reputation, manly centred around one part of it. There are a lot of different parts of Frankston, it's a big area, and some are nice than others. It has a stunning beach and boardwalks and very easy access to the Mornington Peninsula.

Frankston South is lovely. The areas adjoining the sea such as Cliff Road, Gould St and Olivers Hill have multi-million dollar properties. Frankston Heights is OK too. Karingal is OKish, not my first choice, Frankston North and The Pines are to be avoided.

If you look at the Frankston High School zone map you will get an idea of some of the better bits.

So in summary - live in Frankston, but pick your bit of it!

BB

Hi, I am a new member as of today - I agree with buzzy bee - We moved to Frankston a few months after arriving in Aus 36 years ago - love Frankston - no worse than any other suburb. We lived in Frankston South which was a great area to raise a family. I have now moved to Mornington to downsize but am often in Frankston for shopping and walking along he beautiful boardwalk.

We live in Langwarrin, which sits just behind Frankston, having moved from Seaford. Never had any problems, great beaches, train links to the city, access to the peninsula. Whats not to love? Some crappy bits here and there, same as anywhere really.

Historically had a rep, but havent seen anything day or night that would suggest any worse than anywhere else - the plus point of that is that you get more house for your money than further up or down the bay..

Hi, Ditto what Kevsan says. I live in Langwarrin too and both my girls are at Frankston High. As has been mentioned, I would avoid Frankston North. I also work in Frankston and never encountered any problems. I've seen a couple of, shall we say 'colourful' characters' but no worse than in Manchester! on the whole a good suburb. The beach is fantastic and location is great. Hope this helps x

Really great beach, but car park charges near the info center. Stopped by on way back from Lake Mountain on Sat night to feed kids and friend. Parked by maccas, fight on street (but that could happen anywhere). Had meal at La Porchetta, AVOID. Bloody awefull food and the state of the toilets said it all. Should have just stuck with Joes in Rosebud, but wanted to save time.

Frankston is a hub city i e it has all the facilities to service a large surrounding area, TAFE, University, Hospital, large Centrelink office, needle exchange etc so all the people who use these facilities come into Frankston. North Frankston tends to be a lower socioeconomic area although a lot of new town houses and units have been built in the area recently. The streets close to the station are highly sought after for obvious reason, transport etc. My mother lived opposite the new Pool when it used to be a recreation field and she lived there until she was 88 and never had a problem. I do think it seems a little more run down around there these days but things come and go. South Frankston and anywhere up the hill is fine and the higher you go and the bigger the blocks the more expensive the property. Top of the hill on border of Mount Eliza 1 million is not uncommon.

Karingal is an older area with seventies housing and larger plots of land that is gradually being bought up and rejigged as happens over time everywhere in the world.

Langwarrin is nice but its a hike to Frankston to get the train.

The train station parking fills by 7 am in the morning and there is no other free parking around. Bayside used to allow all day parking cheap but they have stopped it now and there are no early bird parking specials. Its now $12 a day to park all day.

Areas around 20 minutes from Frankston are Mount Eliza, Baxter, Somerville, Mornington and a lot live in these areas and access the train at Frankston. Westernport side of the Peninsula has a local train service which accesses Frankston and they change trains at Frankston. Easier for parking the car though at home station. They are now talking of electrifying the line to Baxter which would make a great difference to that whole dormitory area.

I love the area and cannot think of anywhere else that I would rather live.

You don't live in Frankston.

I would not live in central Frankston for all the tea in China.

Clearly you don't appreciate how much tea there is in China. With that kind of wealth you could completely redevelop the whole of Frankston and have as many security guards as you want to keep the undesirables away!

I think the clue is the word "area". I know I do not live in Frankston but I do know that every area has its problems and I think that the media and people who believe what others say who have no knowledge make a beat up about Frankston and other such areas.

My friends lived there for 15 years and never had one problem and they have been looking to buy there again but because of demand for the houses now its very hard to find something in their price range. According to Domain Frankston is going to become much more expensive and that is a shame as it misplaces the young ones again and pushes them further out of city.

I shop in Frankston every week and have done for a long long time and I have never seen anything happening that upset me there. I know there are incidents and of course there are incidents everywhere but there are over 100,000 people who call Frankston home and are very happy to do so.

As for the type of people well if they are undesirable then we leave it plainly at emigrating poms that have caused this problem as the majority of migrants and people who live in the area are first generation Brits and their offspring.

Edited by Petals

You sound like a typical postcode snob. Negative attitudes however do have the positive effect of keeping property relatively affordable in Frankston. Although things are changing fast and Frankston is undergoing a massive gentrification process. A 1950's renovated weatherboard in James Street sold at auction last week for $685,000. Two months ago I was approached by a Chinese property company asking if I would consider selling and then last Thursday I had an approach from a Mornington developer. Of course I'm biased as an old ten pound pom who has been here since the 50's but Frankston has been a wonderful place to live and raise a family for a working class bloke. Frankston has the best beaches and its educational, health, transport, shopping, arts and theatre and sporting facilities are the best in Melbourne. Okay I admit I would rather be spending my twilight years in somewhere like Port Douglas or Noosa but family ties will probably keep me here until I kick the bucket.

Did you miss the 2nd sentence.

Not at all PC. I thought that your comment may have been based on experience from many years ago, like the 70's, when Frankston earned it's bad rep. That has long changed, so perhaps you are better commenting on places that you have lived in, or lived very close to, as some of us have done.

Really great beach, but car park charges near the info center. Stopped by on way back from Lake Mountain on Sat night to feed kids and friend. Parked by maccas, fight on street (but that could happen anywhere). Had meal at La Porchetta, AVOID. Bloody awefull food and the state of the toilets said it all. Should have just stuck with Joes in Rosebud, but wanted to save time.

Just on the car parking charges, if you are a resident, you can go into the council offices and get a permit which lets you park there for free. We moved down here 7 months ago and loving it so far. As others have said, no real problems. There's lots of shopping options, the beach, restaurants, cinemas, etc. my kids are at Frankston High and Overport Primary, and so far so good. My daughter at the high school is doing lots of extra curricular stuff.

I do know it.

The shopping precinct is horrible.

The only nice thing in Frankston is the Arts Centre which I have been to a number of times.

........I found lots to see and do as a visitor....!

........and thought it a lovely place....

.........didn't go in the shopping precinct TBH....

..........shame such a small thing coloured your view so negatively....

I do know it.

The only nice thing in Frankston is the Arts Centre which I have been to a number of times.

So, you base your view on a place simply by the shopping precinct and Art Centre? What a shallow, narrow view that is. You need to open your eyes and mind a lot more PC.

I do know it.

I agree that the central shopping precinct is awful. It has been totally messed up by council and its dealings with developers. Central Park should have been used for a nice public garden space instead it was handed over to developers to put up another ugly dump. It's still happening - the new mega-million dollar South East Water building along Kananook Creek is another disaster. Looking back at the building from the beach all that can be seen is a hideous eyesore monstrosity. Anyway there are a lot of shopping options in Frankston - I never go to the central precinct. I can walk out my back gate into a lovely village-feel shopping strip that has most of the shops I need and occasionally I'll go to Karingal Hub which is very nice.