working in parkville, Melbourne. .where to live?

xxlornaxx

I am soon to start work in parkville in Melbourne, I don't know Melbourne at all. It's just me and my husband and we want a small place but preferably not an apartment or sharing, paying upto $550 a week (from realestate.com this should be enough). Initially I thought of living somewhere about half an hours drive away to get cheaper accommodation but then I thought what about traffic, it could end up taking me three times that long? Is that the case or is there outer lying areas I could live that don't get so congested? I have no idea. Then I thought it would be nice to live a fifteen/twenty minute walk to work and avoid traffic all together. ..is parkville and surrounds safe place to live? If I lived closer to work but not close enough to walk would I struggle through traffic for long periods still? Any info on areas would be helpful. ..also if we lived in parkville can you walk into the CBD? We have no preference on where we live n what's around just that's it's not a crime fest, i can get to work n is affordable. Thanks for or any information at all..It would really help.

North Melbourned is ok but they are going to be putting the train tunnel under it soon, so would need to check the route for noise

Your budge would not stretch to a house.

My daughter rents a house in Brunswick cannot swing a cat in it, no parking and its over five hundred a week.

CBD has apartments which would suit.

Southbank apartments are nice and you could tram it.

If working at a hospitals remember they do not always provide parking for staff and its expensive to park.

Shanks pony is often the quickest way to get around the areas close in.

East Melbourne is nice.

Thanks. What is shanks pony?? From realestate.com there is quite a few 2 bed houses under 550 a week in surrounds of parkville. .no idea what areas are like or houses in real life but I'd rather have a crap house than a plush apartment..I would love to be close enough to walk to work if we can afford it. Any advice on living further out n commuting in? I tried to Google if there was staff parking at hospital but no luck n I don't want to be stuck in traffic for hours every day. I arrive soon so I guess I'll find out but any info from real ppl helps preparation!

You won't get much of a house for $550 a week in and around Parkville. Shanks pony is your legs by the way. I tend to agree an appartment would be ideal you'd probably be able to get one within walking distance to the hospitals if you're lucky.

It's an easy-enough commute from further out if you do it by train to Flinders Street then a tram straight along Elizabeth Street.

If you are driving into the area then the earlier you do so, the easier it will be. The area gets busier with traffic from around 7am onwards.

I regularly travel by car to the Royal Melbourne for appointments. It takes me around 45mins from Watsonia. Sometimes longer if I'm on my own and therefore can't use the rush-hour transit lane on the freeway. On-street parking has a maximum of 4 hours usually in the area, and it's metered. $5-ish gets you a couple of hours. I always avoid the hospital car park because it's a nightmare. Local all day car parking can be anything between $15-$25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol legs..never heard that before..that's good news, I love walking...yeah there's not much in parkville, only one furnished townhouse but there's more in brunswick n north melbourne..don't know where they are just words at the moment but yeah I may have to just live further out then as I don't like paying to much salary on rent

Thank you, helpful information

It's an easy-enough commute from further out if you do it by train to Flinders Street then a tram straight along Elizabeth Street.

If you are driving into the area then the earlier you do so, the easier it will be. The area gets busier with traffic from around 7am onwards.

I regularly travel by car to the Royal Melbourne for appointments. It takes me around 45mins from Watsonia. Sometimes longer if I'm on my own and therefore can't use the rush-hour transit lane on the freeway. On-street parking has a maximum of 4 hours usually in the area, and it's metered. $5-ish gets you a couple of hours. I always avoid the hospital car park because it's a nightmare. Local all day car parking can be anything between $15-$25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol legs..never heard that before..that's good news, I love walking...yeah there's not much in parkville, only one furnished townhouse but there's more in brunswick n north melbourne..don't know where they are just words at the moment but yeah I may have to just live further out then as I don't like paying to much salary on rent

Both of those wouldn't be too far from Parkville Tram ride would get you to Parkville.

In terms of areas I suggest in order of rental price low to high would be:

1. North Melbourne (10 minutes walk to hospital precinct)

2. West Melbourne (10 mins)

2. Carlton North (20 mins)

3. Fitzroy (25 mins)

all great places to live.

suggest that CBD or docklands apartments may not be what you want

Great, thank you

In terms of areas I suggest in order of rental price low to high would be:

1. North Melbourne (10 minutes walk to hospital precinct)

2. West Melbourne (10 mins)

2. Carlton North (20 mins)

3. Fitzroy (25 mins)

all great places to live.

suggest that CBD or docklands apartments may not be what you want

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your advice, we are here now, went mad looking at houses within our budget n locations advised above..quite tiring!..seen loads was so many options..applied for three of our favourites in one day n got accepted on two the next day, picked up keys day after ...we went for beautiful 2 bed house in Carlton with garden, there was 5 other couples at viewing, rent was 450pw..we offered 425pw and got it for that for 6 months to see how we like the area etc. so far we love it, Melbourne is way better than Sydney imo but it is cold in the morning and at night not like north qld n kind of miss that! Amazing places to eat out here too..happy with our move from uk so far. Also bought a Renault Clio sport which is very nice and tomorrow we will have been here one week. Thanks again xx