Unoriginal thread.... Best curry in Melbourne?

betterskierthanthewife

Joe's Mochapot Café at the High St Plaza Cranbourne. Found this place by accident a few weeks ago. Got a huge plateful of two curries and rice for $10. Best curry I've had for years. I had beef and lamb but they also have goat and vegetable curries and chicken biryani. They also do a large variety of western food. The toasted sandwiches are the size of a brick. Next time I will buy a few take-away containers and put them in the freezer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joes-Mochapot-Cafe/536692979777244

• 4 weeks later...

"British style curry" :huh:

And here's me thinking curry was Indian.

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food (except tandoori, which I love), so I doubt I could tell the difference between British and Australian curries I'm afraid. Curious to know what's different - and how it differs from curry in India too!

Edited by Marisawright

"British style curry" And here's me thinking curry was Indian.

The words "British Style Curry" for some reason reminds me of larger. Lots of it. Pints and pints with the curry. And we all know where THAT leads!

And the funny thing is, most of the curries in the UK and Australia have be bastardized for Western palates.

Totally different having an authentic curry in actual India.

Sadly a lot of curry houses are run by Indians born in Australia or Indian chefs who have never been to India!

Same applies to Chinese food.

I have to say that this is probably my only disappointment from living in Melbourne. I find the Indian curries here absolute crap if I'm honest. Bland, sweet, creamy, tasteless and over priced. We gave up looking a couple of years ago and stick with the wonderful Greek, Chinese, Italian etc that the city has to offer.

I grew up in West Yorks, so unfortunately I'm a bit too discerning when it comes to what makes a good curry. If it's not on a par with the Mumtaz in Bradford it's a let down. Strangely, when I've been to India the curries there are also pretty ordinary. I asked why this was to an Indian guy at work and he said basically the British are the ones who demand spicy curries, the Indians themselves normally eat pretty mild ones. What we'd call Indian food is actually Punjabi and Kashmiri food, brought over by the displaced people after Indian independence. When you get out in to other parts of India, the food is completely different. Mainly vegetarian, lots more rice and much more fish, lime and coconut the further south you go. It's very tasty and we especially loved the Southern Indian breakfast food, but it's not what you'd call "British style".

If anyone can recommend a place in Bayside that can do a proper Chicken Jalfrezi, Dopiaza or Bhuna (i.e. swimming in ghee and properly hot) I'll come round and give you a kiss!!

I have to say that this is probably my only disappointment from living in Melbourne. I find the Indian curries here absolute crap if I'm honest. Bland, sweet, creamy, tasteless and over priced. We gave up looking a couple of years ago and stick with the wonderful Greek, Chinese, Italian etc that the city has to offer.

I grew up in West Yorks, so unfortunately I'm a bit too discerning when it comes to what makes a good curry. If it's not on a par with the Mumtaz in Bradford it's a let down. Strangely, when I've been to India the curries there are also pretty ordinary. I asked why this was to an Indian guy at work and he said basically the British are the ones who demand spicy curries, the Indians themselves normally eat pretty mild ones. What we'd call Indian food is actually Punjabi and Kashmiri food, brought over by the displaced people after Indian independence. When you get out in to other parts of India, the food is completely different. Mainly vegetarian, lots more rice and much more fish, lime and coconut the further south you go. It's very tasty and we especially loved the Southern Indian breakfast food, but it's not what you'd call "British style".

If anyone can recommend a place in Bayside that can do a proper Chicken Jalfrezi, Dopiaza or Bhuna (i.e. swimming in ghee and properly hot) I'll come round and give you a kiss!!

Kashmiri in Bradford for us........

"British style curry" :huh:

And here's me thinking curry was Indian.

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food (except tandoori, which I love), so I doubt I could tell the difference between British and Australian curries I'm afraid. Curious to know what's different - and how it differs from curry in India too!

India is a vast country with varied culinary styles. The curry eaten in the UK was developed to suit British tastes during colonial times and then again when large numbers of South Asians set up Curry Shops in the UK - hence a British style curry - the type of curry that one would typically find in the UK. The curries I've had in Aus so far have typically been less spicy and much sweeter. The menus are also less comprehensive and the quality more up and down than the UK.

After I posted the original post I went to Marpha in Mentone. Food was quite good, staff very friendly and nice atmosphere. Didn't quite replicate the UK experience but I'd happily go back.

If anyone is ever in the Dandenong area I can recommend MKS Spices'n'Things. This is quite different to a UK style curry place, it being totally authentically Sri Lankan/Tamil. Half the place is a grocery/Bollywood dvd shop and the other half is given over to the food. You pick from what is already on display. I go regularly with colleagues and it always very busy. Probably not great if you can't handle a bit of spice and certainly not somewhere to go on a date.

India is a vast country with varied culinary styles. The curry eaten in the UK was developed to suit British tastes during colonial times and then again when large numbers of South Asians set up Curry Shops in the UK - hence a British style curry - the type of curry that one would typically find in the UK. The curries I've had in Aus so far have typically been less spicy and much sweeter. The menus are also less comprehensive and the quality more up and down than the UK.

After I posted the original post I went to Marpha in Mentone. Food was quite good, staff very friendly and nice atmosphere. Didn't quite replicate the UK experience but I'd happily go back.

If anyone is ever in the Dandenong area I can recommend MKS Spices'n'Things. This is quite different to a UK style curry place, it being totally authentically Sri Lankan/Tamil. Half the place is a grocery/Bollywood dvd shop and the other half is given over to the food. You pick from what is already on display. I go regularly with colleagues and it always very busy. Probably not great if you can't handle a bit of spice and certainly not somewhere to go on a date.

Gee if a girl can't handle a pint of larger and a curry then she should be kicked into touch anyhow:wink::laugh:

There is a decent curry house in Williamstown and the nearest thing to a British curry. We ordered a lot from them when we lived there and the owner would deliver them personally to us. He said his best customers were British and knew their curries. They would even cook stuff for us not on the menu but found curry and chips a wierd request. I told him to try it out and he did say he enjoyed it. I haven't really had a decent curry in Australia. I have Indian colleagues from birmingham and India and they agree they are crap here.

There is a takeaway in Richmond with the racist name of Curry Munchers but they could also have a warped sense of humour

India is a vast country with varied culinary styles. The curry eaten in the UK was developed to suit British tastes during colonial times and then again when large numbers of South Asians set up Curry Shops in the UK - hence a British style curry

That's correct. Curry in India tends to be nothing like a British person calls a curry. Much milder in general and much more rice than we would have. Something like Chicken Tikka Masala is a good example. Invented in Glasgow I believe. An Indian would never have heard of it.

I really enjoy Sri Lankan curries and the best place for them in Melbourne is Ministry Of Curry in Lygon Strteet. I don't eat meat but they do delicious veggie curries.

Sri Lankan food is great. Same with Southern Indian. Miles different to what's served in the UK. Much fresher and more fragrant with loads of coconut, curry leaves and lime.

You're making me depressed now! Wonder if they'll post one over for me?! Have you had a curry here yet? Save yourself a big disappointment if not...

Not since 2007 at some little place down the great ocean road... but i have packed my pataks curry club recipe book!!. Just need to source all the ingredients, and find some spare time in the day to create all the bases

Hi, yeah I know this sort of thing comes up fairly regularly but I'm looking for recommendations for a good British style curry in Melbourne to celebrate getting another year older this weekend. I'm based in Bayside but happy to travel a bit.

At my home, but it isn't British style but authentic Indian style :-p

I've tried lots of curry houses in and around Melbourne, most of them are rubbish.

I tried one out two weeks that was by far the nearest I've had to a UK curry, it was superb.

I'm running a trip back there for a big group in a few weeks. Try it out....

http://www.basecamprestaurant.com.au/

Hmmm - bit sceptical about any Indian restaurant that serves beef to be honest. Beef Madras sounds wrong on many levels...