Marie Jo

Hi,

I am new to this forum. We are thinking of moving to the Mornington/Mount Martha/Mount Eliza area. We have 3 children, aged 6, 8 and 10, and are looking to move to a good area for a family, with good state schools, primary and secondary. Our 10 year old daughter will start in High School in a year and a half so we want to move into an area where there is a good primary and secondary school.

Any help with info/experience in the school/area would be very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I am new to this forum. We are thinking of moving to the Mornington/Mount Martha/Mount Eliza area. We have 3 children, aged 6, 8 and 10, and are looking to move to a good area for a family, with good state schools, primary and secondary. Our 10 year old daughter will start in High School in a year and a half so we want to move into an area where there is a good primary and secondary school.

Any help with info/experience in the school/area would be very much appreciated.

Hi you are moving to a lovely area however, there are many schools and they varry greatly in size, facilities, exam results and reputation! As do all schools, it depends on what's important to you. Mornington Secondary and Dramana college are the big state schools schools. Padua and Flinders and Balcombe grammar and Bayside are the Christian/Catholic schools. Then there's your toorak and Peninsula school. Have a look at the -my schools -website that will give you an idea of size and Naplan results etc. good luck but really you should look at their websites and make appointments to look around.

Edited by Carorp

Mornington is a nice area, the beach side of the Nepean Highway is the most expensive area as near to the water. A lot of people live in the estates around the Bentons Square Shopping Centre. One side of Bentons Road is Mornington and the other side is Mount Martha so do not rule looking at Mount Martha as well. Mount Eliza is a very nice area and has a High School and the two private schools Peninsula and Toorak College. Padua is in Mornington as is Mornington Secondary school. Flinders College is at Tyabb and Balcolme College is in Mount Martha. There is another private school at Baxter Woodleigh which is one of the top private schools and has outdoor education focus.

A lot of people send their children to state primary schools and then on to private high schools. Bayside Christian College is another school which gets good results and is small which is attractive to people.

Once you decide where you want to actually live then have a look around for the schools. There are many Brits in the area and if you join the life in Victoria forum there is a link on the home page of this forum people with children already in school may be able to help you.

Good luck

Hi, We have driven around again today, and looked at Mordialloc and Mornington. We got out and walked around both places and have to say we liked the feel of Mornington best. There just seemed a better feel to it, and there isnt a big busy road driving right through the centre of it. So the next thing is to look at where/where not to rent and which state primary and state High Schools are the best in Mornington. Thanks for all your feedback and any other advice would be greatly appreciated. My husband would be driving to Footscray/CBD every single day (has to have the car for work) so just wondering what the drive to Footscray/CBD is like everyday and what time would you have to leave Morninhgton to drive in at to be there for 9am. As I said he needs the car for work, so wouldnt be able to take the train. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Mount Eliza Primary is also very good http://mtelizaps.vic.edu.au as far as state high schools go there is not really much difference between Mount Eliza State High and Mornington State High. Both have good and not so good points. Really a personal thing which you feel fits your child best. Meet the principle ask lots of questions and have a good look around the school. Then go for a coffee and ask the staff "what do you think of X school ? We are thinking of enrolling our son/daughter " You should get a fairly un bias answer :)

Its a fair drive from Mornington to Footscray around 82km and the roads are busy. Just a thought but have you had a look at Berwick ? not on the beach and if you want the beach this will not suit, but really nice area about 52km to Footscray, has very good primary and secondary state schools. Fountain Gate Shopping Centre just up the road.

This might help you http://www.whereis.com You can key in any place and press search and it will show you where it is on a map, or press directions, key in 2 areas so Mornington and Footscray press enter. It shows the route on the map and the distance and time to get there on the map. On the left is a list of all sorts of things shops, schools, medical centres, etc click on any you want and it shows them on the map and even gives you details like there address and phone number.

Thanks a mill for that. I will look at the website. We had actually driven to Berwick first on saturday and stopped to have a look around as we heard it was a good area too. All the coffee shops seemed to be closed when we got there so didnt really get to talk to any of the locals. This weekend is a long weekend so we will have a look around again. Thanks for all the info.

Have a look at this it is the high school for Berwick http://www.berwickcollege.vic.edu.au

There are 4 primary schools in Berwick all on a par with each other academically, again comes down to where you feel your child will be happiest. http://www.berwickfieldsps.vic.edu.au or http://www.berwickprimary.vic.edu.au/welcome.htm or http://www.berwicklodgeps.vic.edu.au or http://www.berwickchaseps.vic.edu.au

Your welcome. I was involved with school uniforms for close to 30 years so know a fair bit about a lot of schools, and due to my OH job we have also lived in lots of places. Lived up on the Cypress Hills Estate in Berwick for a few years and it is a really nice place.

• 1 month later...

I live in mornington and 2 kids in school here. one in mornington secondary and the other in primary school and I have 2 admit I love that mornington secondary school. used to have a bad name but now its one of the best around. the area is beautiful, great cafe, great places to go to get out. people friendly and not 2 busy. I have been here now for 3 years.

Hi Michael. Thanks for that. What primary are your kids in? Is it Bentons or Osborne? How are you finding it? And how are you finding the high school? How do they compare to schools back home? Thanks.

Hi Marie Jo

I live in Mornington, we arrived 2years ago, my son goes to Mornington Secondary College, you will be hard pushed to find a state school with more extra curricula activities, so if your daughter is into sport they have everything from Aerobics to Swimming etc. If she is more into the arts the Musical opportunities are amazing School bands, drum corps to name but a few, the school productions are fantastic, the staff are so dedicated and put a lot of time and effort making this all possible for the students. My son is now in year 11 he is studying for his VCE, there was a huge choice of subjects for VCE, students also have the opportunity to do VCAL or a VET course at TAFE, they also have introduced apprenticeships this year, where a group of students, not only from MSC but also Mount Eliza and other local schools can study horticulture. Personally I think it's a great school, go and have a look around.

• 3 years later...