Safe place to rent in Melbourne CBD

joshbay84

We would be flying to Melbourne in a month or so, and I would be working in and around 180 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3000.we would like to live near this place for a month (till we get settled and come to know about the hows and whats), and then decide on a permanent place to move on.

Is this location safe, we are family of 3 with a 3 year old. Any place that I need to avoid while living nearby? Also, any good apartments in and around?

It'll be as safe as any other place you might choose to live. Google Quest apartments, probably cheaper than hotels, but probably dearer than other private lets if there are any available. You might be leaving it late to secure accommodation with only a month to go.

At least you'd get a taste of inner city Melbourne for a while.

Good luck.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

• 2 weeks later...
It'll be as safe as any other place you might choose to live. Google Quest apartments, probably cheaper than hotels, but probably dearer than other private lets if there are any available. You might be leaving it late to secure accommodation with only a month to go.

At least you'd get a taste of inner city Melbourne for a while.

Good luck.

Anywhere in the CBD is safe. The CBD is quite small compared to European cities, so you might want to consider later living in a inner-city suburb. Quest is a good option. Look on realestate.com.au for apartments in the CBD you will find some serviced apartments.

Guest The Pom Queen

There are places in St Kilda I wouldn't want to be with a young child but then other parts are fantastic. It all depends on your budget and if you will be using the trams/trains.

I like the Quest apartments, they are not as cheap as others but they are of a nice standard and you can select a studio or one bedroom with washing facilities which I like. The city is like any other city in the world, busy and noisy. I guess you will not be going out late at night and early hours when the clubs are open so you will be fine.

Forgot to mention if u check the website for Quest u will find inner suburbs that are 10m by train to the CBD and at least u will have nice parks around, markets etc

check the ones in Prahran, Windsor and South Yarra for example ...

Thank you guys, finally I have booked apartment at .........................., hoping its good :-)

Josh mate. It doesn't pay to disclose your work adress and home address anywhere on the net...........I suggest the mods delete

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed personal details

How do I delete this, cannot see any options

Only a mod can delete... However you can click the post and edit it and remove the address. You will need to ask the person who quoted your post to also edit it out of their post too though.

Or wait for a mod who is probably sleeping at the moment to delete it for you. [emoji108]

Fitzroy is 10m by tram not even from the CBD. U can walk there. Better for u to go on Ptv website to check travel times to get an idea of distances.

Fitzoy is quite hipster and arty and noisy. You said you have a young kid? It might not be the ideal location.

I guess is better if u explain what u after? All suburbs have very diferent identities specially inner-city.

ps - you a consultant?

Fitzroy is 10m by tram not even from the CBD. U can walk there. Better for u to go on Ptv website to check travel times to get an idea of distances.

Fitzoy is quite hipster and arty and noisy. You said you have a young kid? It might not be the ideal location.

I guess is better if u explain what u after? All suburbs have very diferent identities specially inner-city.

ps - you a consultant?

I am just starting out in Melbourne, but yes - I will be doing consulting. My initial work location is Fitzoy, I just looked through the street view in google maps, it looked like run down area.Am just thinking to live in Melbourne CBD and then commute to my work place.

What about looking further out? Have a look at google maps and see where the train lines go.

There are exceptions, but generally speaking the further out you go, the cheaper it'll be to rent.

Don't ignore metro/vline as a possibility for commuting. I'm 60km out in the west and I can get to CBD just as quick as colleagues who live in Richmond and take the tram!

Your comment about Fitzroy made me smile, that was my first thought when I went there but I realized that the 'run down' look on Brunswick street buildings is a 'cultivated' look. I mean, it is like that because they like it like that and make it look like that ... it's considered one of the trendy inner-suburbs, very hipster. That's why. Is actually quite expensive to live there. If you working for A* you will be ok, there are a lot of people from overseas that move here, so your colleagues will be like minded people.

About the CBD, is quite small and even though more people are starting to live in the city very few live in the CBD. Is mostly students, Asian students that live in the city. Most people choose to live in the suburbs. Best to decide later once you and your family is here. You quickly will get a feel for what areas interest you and what you guys like to do.