Full registration with VIT

FamilyGuys

Hello fellow teachers,

I am finally ready to apply for VIT but have been told that I can only apply for provisional registration as I have not worked in an Australian school. However, the VIT website suggests that it may be possible to get full registration if you can provide evidence of meeting the teaching standards. I was wondering whether anyone has managed to do this and, if so, would they please share their experience?

Alternatively, it would be good to hear from any teachers who have received provisional registration and managed to get work. When I spoke to someone on the help line at VIT he seemed to suggest that having provisional registration wouldn't affect my chances of getting a job but I can't help wondering whether employers look down on it.

Thanks for any advice!

Having provisional registration in no way at all limits your chances of work - you are registered and that is all that you need.

It will not be difficult to progress to full registration. This may, or may not, involve developing a portfolio addressing the professional standards. It depends on your background, but if you do need to submit a portfolio then be prepared to put time aside to do so as it takes a while.

Have a look at the website below, it details the professional standards that you will need to meet.

All graduate teachers here are provisionally registered and normally over the space of two years they create a portfolio that addresses the standards whilst they are employed and teaching in their own classrooms. They then move to full registration, it is not a big deal and employers do not care if you are provisionally registered.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/australian-professional-standards-for-teachers

Edited by Sammy1

Registration is just the first step - getting a teaching position is a much harder nut to crack with many young Aussie teachers out of work or on casual/short term positions. If you're in a permanent position don't quit but take a career break then be prepared to take anything that comes along. It does rather depend on your area of teaching expertise - Maths/Science a better proposition than other subject areas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...