family friendly quiet suburbs in melbourne

handles15

If you have not already done so join up with the Life in Victoria forum, there is a link at the foot of this page. A lot of new arrivals on it and members live in all different types of areas.

For the beach look up the transport line and work your way down the Frankston train line. Beach is closest at Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea Carrum and Seaford.

A lot who like the beach live at Mornington but its an hour on the train each way to the city from Frankston.

We live about 10 to 15 minutes from beaches on both bays and that is close enough for me as the salt can be a problem living too close.

I lived at Edithvale for 11 years when my children were young and we used to take them to the beach first thing in the morning on hot days and be home in time for morning tea. My friend actually lives in a house on the beach front at Edithvale and has a gate onto the beach, used to be great when the children were young.

I'm not convinced St Kilda is family friendly, I wouldn't want to bring my family up there unless you wanted them to become immediately streetwise or something.

Mount Eliza and Mount Martha are lovely, but the OP wants a 30-40 minute commute.

To the OP: Suggest Cheltenham, Mentone, Parkdale, Glen Waverley and surrounds to the South East and East. Others will point out places in the West or North. You haven't mentioned your budget so we don't have much to guide us.

BB

Hi - depends on what you call "semi affordable" to be honest. Also what your expectations are in terms of house size.

That said, anywhere in Bayside is brilliant for families. If you have the budget look at Brighton (mega expensive), Hampton, Sandringham (bit cheaper) and Black Rock. A bit further down it gets cheaper, but you're further out if you work in the centre. Still nice though. Beaumaris, Mentone, Mordialloc. Getting even further out you have places like Edithvale and Chelsea which have superb beaches.

I agree with the person who put Mt Martha. Beautiful place, beautiful beach. 60km out though, that's the only issue.

Don't know about places North or West, but have friends who like it. Personally, we like being closer to the sea.

We moved a few months ago and were initially all for Bayside. Check out www.domain.com.au to get a feel for what you can get for your budget. Most properties are sold at auction and you'll see estimated prices on the website - add $200k to these (no, this is not a joke - AMAZED that it's legal to advertise houses for prices well below the reserve the owner will accept). Providing that a house has been sold a few times you can get a reasonable guestimate of what it's likely to go for via www.onthehouse.com.au (but this will not take into account any renos). Also take a look at google maps (street view)- I was a bit shocked that some main roads can be 3/4 lanes (how is that not a highway?) and traffic noise can be an issue even in the surrounding sts.

You will also want to consider schools (some are catchment area zoned) and if you're planning to buy, then also look at secondary schools via http://bettereducation.com.au/. Note that the better the school the higher the price tag of houses in that zone (McKinnon is one such catchment area based secondary school that consistently scores very highly). You can see if a house you're interested in is in the right area for any catchment areas based schools (without having to drill down to the catchments on individual school websites) via http://www.street-directory.com.au/vic/melbourne (just type in the address then click on 'amenities nearby' on the pop up window). For public transport times visit: http://ptv.vic.gov.au/

Having been house hunting for since June we personally feel we get a better lifestyle further out. I should confess that having grown up with surf beaches in NSW, most Melbourne beaches (inside the port) are underwhelming - but will be fabulous for your toddlers as it’s like a big flat pond. We wanted our move to Oz to include a big backyard, not constantly hear our neighbours, be part of a smaller community (so we could meet people!) and be close to the train. Of course you can get these things too in Bayside but the land value is higher. Ultimately we've opted for views on a 1/4 acre, 5mins from a train station/massive pool and 10mins from everything you could want shop wise. If you like more of a country feel with lots of gum trees and more hills (much of Bayside near a train line & the best public schools is rather flat) then look around Rosanna, Macleod up to Greensborough.

All the best with your move to Melbourne - how exciting!!!

Edited by ksarah

• 2 weeks later...

We live in Cheltenham, although we don't have kids, i think it's family friendly. Bought a place here a year ago, nice environment, decent neighbours, 5 mins drive to the bay. space. and only 30-45 mins up to the CBD (if you'll work there). i work suburban and have a 15-20 min commute. I sometimes have to remind myself how lucky i am although i drive a fair bit with work, its good not to have a long commute.

I lived in Elsternwick previously, and know the st kilda/elwood area well. Elwood is family friendly, lots of apartments though. St Kilda's fun but more urban and lively. If you want a house and some space you could do a lot worse than look at the bayside suburbs as mentioned above. Also depends on budget of course!

• 4 weeks later...

I am still here and am very grateful for the replies. My husband is commuting to oz at the moment so sorting out a move, selling a house with two toddlers full time has been difficult!

we were looking up to about $950 a week rent. My husband likes sandringham and Mentone after a recent visit so we are starting there! I think I will get searching on the other areas suggested! I like quiet and boring areas!

I am still here and am very grateful for the replies. My husband is commuting to oz at the moment so sorting out a move, selling a house with two toddlers full time has been difficult!

we were looking up to about $950 a week rent. My husband likes sandringham and Mentone after a recent visit so we are starting there! I think I will get searching on the other areas suggested! I like quiet and boring areas!

Have a look at Brighton and Hampton too. Nicer than Mentone.

As a general tip, if you've a budget of $950 a week to spend on rent look at properties upto about $1100 and be prepared to do a bit of haggling to get them down to within your budget. Once you get to over $1000 a week rent in the suburbs the demand is normally a bit lower, so don't get too hung up on what the estate agent thinks it's worth. Better to have someone in paying $950 a week than an empty house. The further out you go the more you can haggle. In Mentone the market for $1000+ a week houses will be pretty low.

Also, make sure you see plenty of houses to get a feel for what something is actually worth. Loads of dreamers in Melbourne trying to rent properties that are worth nowhere near the advertised price.

Best of luck.

Edited by Petkula73

Guest spreadingwings
We moved a few months ago and were initially all for Bayside. Check out www.domain.com.au to get a feel for what you can get for your budget. Most properties are sold at auction and you'll see estimated prices on the website - add $200k to these (no, this is not a joke - AMAZED that it's legal to advertise houses for prices well below the reserve the owner will accept). Providing that a house has been sold a few times you can get a reasonable guestimate of what it's likely to go for via www.onthehouse.com.au (but this will not take into account any renos). Also take a look at google maps (street view)- I was a bit shocked that some main roads can be 3/4 lanes (how is that not a highway?) and traffic noise can be an issue even in the surrounding sts.

You will also want to consider schools (some are catchment area zoned) and if you're planning to buy, then also look at secondary schools via http://bettereducation.com.au/. Note that the better the school the higher the price tag of houses in that zone (McKinnon is one such catchment area based secondary school that consistently scores very highly). You can see if a house you're interested in is in the right area for any catchment areas based schools (without having to drill down to the catchments on individual school websites) via http://www.street-directory.com.au/vic/melbourne (just type in the address then click on 'amenities nearby' on the pop up window). For public transport times visit: http://ptv.vic.gov.au/

Having been house hunting for since June we personally feel we get a better lifestyle further out. I should confess that having grown up with surf beaches in NSW, most Melbourne beaches (inside the port) are underwhelming - but will be fabulous for your toddlers as it’s like a big flat pond. We wanted our move to Oz to include a big backyard, not constantly hear our neighbours, be part of a smaller community (so we could meet people!) and be close to the train. Of course you can get these things too in Bayside but the land value is higher. Ultimately we've opted for views on a 1/4 acre, 5mins from a train station/massive pool and 10mins from everything you could want shop wise. If you like more of a country feel with lots of gum trees and more hills (much of Bayside near a train line & the best public schools is rather flat) then look around Rosanna, Macleod up to Greensborough.

All the best with your move to Melbourne - how exciting!!!

The eternal question: do you prefer your life in Melbourne, versus Sydney?

Hey spreadingwings - I am, and always will be, a Sydney girl at heart. We played it safe and took a transfer with my husband's company (but the job was in Melbourne). So my grand return to Oz after 11yrs in London was not what I'd always imagined it to be. Having said that Melbourne has a lot to offer (easier to drive about, cheaper property) and we are enjoying our trips out and about (also slightly grateful that it's cooler down here!). Just looking forward to my daughter starting school so we can start to make some new friends.

Williamstown aka the Jewel of the West.

Couldn't agree more, currently renting a 3 Bedroom town house in Newport - 5minutes (Drive) from Williamstown. This area is a great little place located near the Newport Lakes, a large expansive parkland in the middle of the suburbs. Newport is maybe a little bit cheaper than Williamstown and has great access to everything you need. Train is 20min ride into the CBD, airport 25min drive away via the Western Ring road, 5min drive to the Freeway another 5-10min drive and you're in the CBD. There are some great little cafes around the area and Altona Beach is just around the corner.

Sean. :)