Is there Site Manager work in Melbourne ?

bakersdozen

Hi

Has anyone got any info on the construction market in Melbourne? we are looking at Perth at present but the role of site manager (building associate) is state sponsored in Victoria as well , only just started with the vetassess and wont hear anything back till the end of the month so a few months away from securing the 190 visa.

The feed back on Perth at present is its a bit slow but could pick up in another 6 months but there seems to be more Site Manager jobs available in Melbourne but these could be old advertisements , any feed back would be great .

Regards

What sort of sector? I'm assuming building, but resi or commercial? Size of site?

I work mostly in infrastructure and it's pretty slow all over. Mining cut backs have put a lot more people on the market for jobs in the cities and there's not a huge amount of investment going in. A total turnaround from 2 years ago I'm afraid

Building? Here in Sydney that's actually better than it was a year ago, in the commercial sector. Resi still seems to be struggling - there are sites and there is work but it's a pretty low baseload, so existing trades are picking it up

Hopefully someone a bit better plugged into Melbourne market than me can advise

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]State

[/TD]

[TD]Short Term Building Construction starts Qtr Jun – Aug 2013 Vs Mar –May 2013

[/TD]

[TD]Long Term building Construction starts Sept’12 – Aug ’13 Vs Sept ’11 – Aug ‘12

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]QLD

[/TD]

[TD]-28%

[/TD]

[TD] 8%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NSW

[/TD]

[TD]+ 2%

[/TD]

[TD]16%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vic

[/TD]

[TD]-5%

[/TD]

[TD]11%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]S.A.

[/TD]

[TD]-1%

[/TD]

[TD]-10%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]W.A.

[/TD]

[TD]-1%

[/TD]

[TD]21%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]National

[/TD]

[TD]-9%

[/TD]

[TD]12%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I work in the building industry. I can't comment on your specific role but we had our best sales month in over a year in may! We have been really down over the last 18 months but hopefully it's a sign of things to come

hi leanda thanks for the reply , i take it from you said you work in residential ?

I work in building materials supplying fibre cement and plaster board. We supply to major residential and commercial buildings. Don't get me wrong things are still tough out there and we have builders are are struggling but also those who are doing well. Multi residential seems to be the growth area at the moment along with government projects

I work in building materials supplying fibre cement and plaster board. We supply to major residential and commercial buildings. Don't get me wrong things are still tough out there and we have builders are are struggling but also those who are doing well. Multi residential seems to be the growth area at the moment along with government projects

Boral? Knauff? BGC?

thanks leanda

looks like the same in the UK at present I work in London and its the same some companies are doing better than others .

Perth looks the same so its a toss up , WA or Victoria luckily I have worked in both fields you mentioned, so as someone gave advice lately , who dares wins

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

Has anyone got any info on the construction market in Melbourne? we are looking at Perth at present but the role of site manager (building associate) is state sponsored in Victoria as well , only just started with the vetassess and wont hear anything back till the end of the month so a few months away from securing the 190 visa.

The feed back on Perth at present is its a bit slow but could pick up in another 6 months but there seems to be more Site Manager jobs available in Melbourne but these could be old advertisements , any feed back would be great .

Regards

Hi bakersdozen, there is work in Melbourne but as the others have suggested its a slow enough at the moment. The construction industry has not been in great shape here for the last 36 months. I reckon when the election is over things will start picking up from Feb 2014 as everything comes to a standstill nearly from Christmas till then.

The new East-West road link will get a lot of Civils moving in Melbourne, I work in Infrastructure and we will be busy with projects till 2015-16. The commercial end seems to be tepid and residential looks to be improving. There may be plenty of site manager jobs advertised, but many Ozzie employers want local exp before they will even entertain you.

Hi. I notice that building associate is no longer available for state sponsorship in WA. That's where I was heading but didn't get vetassess back in time to lodge EOI.

Im now heading for SA and go from there. At the end of the day securing a job will be down to the individual and if contacts can be made once there. I've progressed from site engineer upto contracts manager and would happily get back behind an instrument to get my foot in the door. Construction work has been difficult since 2007 here in the uk so we are used to the difficulties in getting continuity of work cause ultimatly we work ourselves out of a job don't we lol.

Ps my vetassess took exactly 12 weeks to complete.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi bakersdozen, there is work in Melbourne but as the others have suggested its a slow enough at the moment. The construction industry has not been in great shape here for the last 36 months. I reckon when the election is over things will start picking up from Feb 2014 as everything comes to a standstill nearly from Christmas till then.

The new East-West road link will get a lot of Civils moving in Melbourne, I work in Infrastructure and we will be busy with projects till 2015-16. The commercial end seems to be tepid and residential looks to be improving. There may be plenty of site manager jobs advertised, but many Ozzie employers want local exp before they will even entertain you.

Thanks for the reply mate , looks like we will stick it out in the UK a bit longer then, still got plenty of work in London

Hi. I notice that building associate is no longer available for state sponsorship in WA. That's where I was heading but didn't get vetassess back in time to lodge EOI.

Im now heading for SA and go from there. At the end of the day securing a job will be down to the individual and if contacts can be made once there. I've progressed from site engineer upto contracts manager and would happily get back behind an instrument to get my foot in the door. Construction work has been difficult since 2007 here in the uk so we are used to the difficulties in getting continuity of work cause ultimatly we work ourselves out of a job don't we lol.

Ps my vetassess took exactly 12 weeks to complete.

Hello mate, we was looking at Perth and then got struck off the list (gutted) going to sit tight after I get the vetassess back and see how things pan out down under .

The company I work for in London are doing realy well so cant complain there, did'nt think SA was doing the Building associate sponsorship just Victoria ?

Still waiting for the results it will be 12 weeks on the 5th of August

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd drop a comment on here just to keep it going and get some information/help .... Me and my partner are looking to make the move to Victoria on a 190 visa, under building associate around Nov 2015 .... I will have 10 years expereince in construction, having started out bricklaying then moved my way up to being a site manager/construction supervisor...... I currently work for a large main contractor in the UK working on commerical jobs £10million or above...... Any information on similar work in victoria would be gratly appreciated, ot would be nice to here from people who are working under that same role as well.... Just a note me and my partner have been looking at Geelong as a place to settle, so any information on work there in particular would be great or just general information on the area.

@bakersdozen did you make the move? if so, are you now working as a site manager? would be great to catch up an pick your brians if you dont mind?

Thought I'd drop a comment on here just to keep it going and get some information/help .... Me and my partner are looking to make the move to Victoria on a 190 visa, under building associate around Nov 2015 .... I will have 10 years expereince in construction, having started out bricklaying then moved my way up to being a site manager/construction supervisor...... I currently work for a large main contractor in the UK working on commerical jobs £10million or above...... Any information on similar work in victoria would be gratly appreciated, ot would be nice to here from people who are working under that same role as well.... Just a note me and my partner have been looking at Geelong as a place to settle, so any information on work there in particular would be great or just general information on the area.

@bakersdozen did you make the move? if so, are you now working as a site manager? would be great to catch up an pick your brians if you dont mind?

Construction is going through a phase at present with the inquiry going on. Lots in the Age and Sun about the industry.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this page. people who have recently come to live here may be able to give you more information.

Thanks @Petals an inquiry dosent dound good will have to have a read up about that ... I have joined the Victoria fourm did post on there but waiting admin to approve for some reason lol

Anybody else got any advice/information/opinions, i will be happy to hear them

Hello mate

Its been a while since I've been on here

No, I'm not making the move now, I'm going to Canada instead.

Be careful of the vetassess mate ! make sure you don't have any breaks in your work history as they will count that against your experience. It doesn't matter that you have been a Site Manager for 10 years, if you have had any type of break from work they will not count it.

They did that to me, I've got 13 years at management level but they deducted the time I was made redundant when the recession hit.

Still had a positive outcome though, but I now needed the full points on the IELTS test which is a real ball ache. In the end we decided on Canada instead as I had landed a job before we get there, not like in Aus.

If you need any more info let me know mate

@bakersdozen cheers for getting back to me, luckily I havent got any breaks in my employment, but my 10 years in construction hasent always been management. Only the last 5-6 years really has been management experience. Good info to know though especially for others maybe.

Ye I need to do the IELTS aswell, just going through the motions of practising in my free time, it is a bit of a ball ache lol. Good news on Canada though all the best mate.

Thanks @Petals will have to have a read into that, hopefully be ironed out by the time I get there though :)

Thanks for your comment @wolvesaussie how long does the train journey take you then? what would you say are the top 5 areas in Geelong and 5 areas to stay away from in your opinion?

Also does anyone know what the tax on salary is like in oz?? similar to UK, more , less?