North/North East Melbourne or Eastern Suburbs? Opinions welcomed!

solihullsue

I've been doing some research on different family orinatated suburbs (my son's 12). I've tried to look for good transport to CBD, secondary schools, property prices and general vibe: Here's a list of places:

Box Hill

Brunswick

Coburg

Clifton Hill

Doncaster

Fairfield

Ivanhoe

Northcote

Preston

Glen Waverley

Mount Waverley

Burwood

Ringwood

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

S

Box Hill Popular area good schools around, old houses, good transport

Brunswick DINK area, expensive, close to the city old houses

Coburg Working class area being refurbished and cheaper than other areas

Clifton Hill Popular with families need to watch transport links for noise

Doncaster No train, nice area popular with families but I am not a fan, cannot put my finger on why

Fairfield Similar to Clifton Hill but may be cheaper

Ivanhoe Expensive and nice area, good transport, close to the Yarra River well off area

Northcote Pricey area old houses, not visually appealing in my view but close to CBD

Preston Cheaper area old houses again

Glen Waverley Good train transport links, very popular due to schools, oldish houses further out than the above

Mount Waverley Nice area larger blocks of land.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one, people who have arrived recently will be able to assist with areas and costs etc. Good luck

Burwood Nice area

Ringwood Ringwood, leafy area near the hills, good transport links cheaper than any of the above as further out

None of these areas are near the beach if you wanted to be close to water then you need to have a look at other options.

A lot of people are moving to areas like Berwick, and Point Cook as they like the newer housing on offer.

Areas such as Sandringham, East Brighton, Moorabbin have good links, good schools and are close to the beach.

Have a look at realestate.com.au and domain.com.au and the Public Transport Site which will give you an idea of how the land lies.

Hi,

We quite like Mount Waverley - lots of new houses are being built (so very modern and practical houses - but small gardens) and prices are not too bad. Good train service into CBD (30min) , close to shopping centre and M1 motorway or Princes Highway (it takes about 35min to drive into CBD at the weekend).

We have seen some very nice and large houses in Ivanhoe before but not really in our budget :-(

Mount Waverley is great - but it ain't cheap. Great schools and transport but entry level around $600,000. Ringwood is a bit cheaper and still good schools and transport- entry level $450,000. Both well established and nice attractive suburbs. !Personally I wouldn't live in one of those soulless new areas if you paid me but you do get a lot of bang for your bucks plus a few social problems thrown in. They no doubt will improve with time.

Lot of young families here in Northcote, but big fights to squeeze the kids into schools (or so I heard.) Rental is quite pricey and house prices hover around $500,000+. Great public transport links to CBD: Tram / train. Having said that, bugger all for the kids to do. Too many hipsters, wannabes and jazz bars :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Northcote, Clifton hill, thornbury and preston are all good in my opinion. If you get near the train line in these suburbs, you have the choice of the train or 2 different tram lines to get into the city. My boys went to Northcote high and we can highly recommend it! You have a bit of nightlife in Thornbury, more in Northcote and would be very close to bustling Fitzroy. Rental property is moving fast atm, but house prices are steady. Lower end would be $700k northcote, $600k Thornbury, $500k Preston. We are currently in Preston close to tram line. When we first moved to Melb (from Perth, WA), we pushed the budget for a 6 month rental in Northcote just to get in the Northcote high school catchment area..they are strict on this! Definitely a good area for a 12y/o to grow up in. Keep it Northern suburbs!

Guest Anya

What is your budget and preference (apartment, townhouse, house etc)? Will help narrow your choices and I could hopefully suggest some suburbs and schools :)

LOL furkew - just read your post, albeit a bit too late

Edited by Anya