Melbourne Curveball

sassykh

We are planning to move to Australia in April 2013. Visas sorted. We have visited Sydney and have friends who live there. Both hubby and I have planned the move regardless of jobs and assumed we would need to find work once we arrive. We have 175 visas. I told work about our plans to move and they have offered me a job and it is likely to be in Melbourne. Both hubby & I are reassured that one of us will have a job on arrival, but where do we start? We are prepared for an adventure but will not know anyone here and have no idea on areas to live. Do we play it safe & venture to Sydney or to we take the oppurtunity in Melbourne?

Wow! What a decision to make, and how cool to have options available to you :biggrin:. Have you been offered a relevant Aussie salary? One of the things that I've noticed is the massive hike in cost of living in Aus and am aware that some UK (and Aussie) companies can suck us Poms in with equivalent UK pay. If they're offering you something you can walk in to and be familiar with AND get paid equivalently - then think about going for it! Have a think about what attracts you to Sydney tho - if that's your dream.... tough, isn't it! [Hoping to go to Melbs for good in December, no job YET.... Annie x]

We moved to Melbourne in December having never been here - we'd visited Sydney, Brisbane and Perth the year before and I have to say that I much prefer Melbourne to Sydney. It has some lovely suburbs to settle in and a great city that I personally find much easier to navigate than Sydney (it's more attractive in my opinion too). However, I have close friends in Sydney who love it and wouldn't move down here!

It very much depends on your circumstances, interests etc. Do you have kids? Are you into sports?

The thing to remember is that if you start off somewhere there is no reason at all that you can't move at a later date - once you're here you can take a good look around and see what's best for you. Good luck!

We are in Melbourne and love it here compared to Sydney. We spent 1 month in Sydney when we first landed in Australia and couldn't wait to get out of there. Traffic is horrible compared to Melbourne. Melbourne is a nice compact city, that is very easy to get around. Only reason you may want to consider Sydney is the weather. You certainly have more distinct seasons here in Melbourne, and we've had quite a bit of rain this winter. That said, we still have a good 6 months of shorts & t-shirt weather. Melbourne is also pretty dog friendly. Lots of off leash areas for them to run around. Lots of sporting events here if thats what you are into. Lots of good bike paths too along the various rivers, creeks and along the bay.

Compared to say, London, or even Manchester, it has a distinct centre which is easy to navigate because of the grid system of streets. I also like the fatc you can walk to other areas to escape feeling like you're in the middle of the city, like Docklands and Southbank. I didn't feel like that in Sydney, plus it has alovely mix of old and new buildings which makes it feel a little bit European in some parts where as many of the other big Australian cities remind me of American cities, shiny and all new. Then again, that isn't so bad at all, depends on what you prefer.

• 1 month later...

Quick update- so Melbourne here we come- and we are so excited. Just awaiting contract this week from work then we will book our flights for the first week of April 2013. The dogs have had their injections and blood tests

are tomorrow, so our 5 month count begins and the to do list gets longer!