Pros and cons of living in Melb

Guest misspreschool

Guest misspreschool

I have only been to Melbourne for a holiday but have been thinking about moving there. Can someone please tell me all the pros and cons of living there (I'm talking about living city center or pretty close) All things work, weather, lifestyle, people, shopping, beach, things to do, cleanliness, living costs, literally anything you can think of! Thanks :)

Melbourne is a great place to live, its expensive, rents near the CBD are expensive. There is a lot of entertainment around, most interests are covered. If single or married with no children there are lots of things to do. We have four seasons of the year here, which I like. Winter is cold but not UK cold but some rental houses can be cold. Summer we get heat waves but they do not last so the temps average in the twenties, dry heat not much humidity. People talk about rain here but we actually have low rainfall in Melbourne compared to other States.

It will depend on where you work and the commute you want as to where you live.

Melbourne is a good place but at the moment the unemployment is the second highest in Australia, behind Tasmania, the worst. Of course it also has the second highest city population, too. There is plenty to do and see and people are friendly. There is a fairly big difference between suburbs and those of us who have lived here for many years would be able to 'rank' them ( we're a bunch of snobs at heart!!!) . With the central areas things are changing quite rapidly though- what used to be nasty old suburbs are getting trendified- and more expensive of course. A lot depends on whether or not you have children, too- the good private schools tend to be clustered within certain areas and the good public schools- same applies but not to such a great extent.

Guest misspreschool

Thanks for the replies people! I don't have children yet, I'm 21 and my other half is 23 so we're looking for a bit of adventure but at the same time somewhere to enjoy our lives for a few years before we decide to have kids! :)

Please see my legendary post "Melbourne Smells".

Not only do you get my jaundiced opinion of the city, you get hundreds of responses giving different and similar opinions.

Seriously, it's a good city, loads to do.

We just found suburban life to be, well....smelly

I guess Melbourne might be a good place for younger people who would like to live in a "big" city with most of its advantages such as going out without having the stress and crimes of a metropolis such as London.

But Melbourne life is also expensive and finding a job isn't easy these days.

PS: And Hello to West Sussex! My partner's from down there...and I love that part of England dearly.:wubclub:

Edited by marta

Melbourne is a good place but at the moment the unemployment is the second highest in Australia, behind Tasmania, the worst. Of course it also has the second highest city population, too. There is plenty to do and see and people are friendly. There is a fairly big difference between suburbs and those of us who have lived here for many years would be able to 'rank' them ( we're a bunch of snobs at heart!!!) . With the central areas things are changing quite rapidly though- what used to be nasty old suburbs are getting trendified- and more expensive of course. A lot depends on whether or not you have children, too- the good private schools tend to be clustered within certain areas and the good public schools- same applies but not to such a great extent.

Hi Starlight, We are arriving in Melbourne on the 19th June and have a 4 year old little girl. We are really stuck on which suburb to settle. We need to find a nice area with a good school for our daughter but also within a commute to cbd. We would appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks, Amanda

Hi Starlight, We are arriving in Melbourne on the 19th June and have a 4 year old little girl. We are really stuck on which suburb to settle. We need to find a nice area with a good school for our daughter but also within a commute to cbd. We would appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks, Amanda

Hi, there are loads of suburbs which are great for kids, a lot depends on your budget. Your daughter may not be starting school as soon as she gets here, it depends what date her birthday is on. If you could give us an idea of what kind of house you would like to rent when you get here and what your budget is it would help narrow it down. As an example, my area, which is beachside about 45 mins from the CBD, a 3 bed house is about $500 per week to rent.

Cheers

BB

Hi, there are loads of suburbs which are great for kids, a lot depends on your budget. Your daughter may not be starting school as soon as she gets here, it depends what date her birthday is on. If you could give us an idea of what kind of house you would like to rent when you get here and what your budget is it would help narrow it down. As an example, my area, which is beachside about 45 mins from the CBD, a 3 bed house is about $500 per week to rent.

Cheers

BB

Hi,

Thanks for replying. In terms of budget we are thinking around the $350-400 mark for a 3 bed house but may be able to stretch to $500 if we found a nice place! We would like a 3 bed house with a garden and a 45min commute to CBD would be perfect - which suburb do you live? Our main priority is to find a good school for our daughter. She turned 4 on the 09th March past so I think she will be due to start a kindergarten class when we arrive. If I am correct the term starts in July?? She attends a kindergarten class at a private school in the UK at the moment but we are willing to consider both private and public in Oz.

Thank you for very much for your time in replying, we really appreciate your advice.

Thanks, Amanda

Hi, we live on the border of Mordialloc and Parkdale, two great family suburbs with brilliant schools and pre-schools and loads to do for kids, as well as great beaches! Bear in mind though if you want a 3 bed house with a reasonable sized garden you will almost definitely have an older house. New houses tend to have teeny tiny postage stamp gardens in all suburbs. The school year starts in February, term 3 starts in July. The public schools and kinders around here are really good, there are private schools too in Mentone (next suburb) if that's what you need.

Cheers

BB

Great city with so much to see and do plus you can be in the bush within one hour. it's Autumn now and the weather is warm and balmy. An absolute must, if you are renting, is to make sure that there is a good heating system. If you don't take this advice, you will be very miserable in winter. If you are thinking of living in the suburbs, do watch Kath and Kim - then make up your mind!!!. Thank goodness winters are short.

Hi,

It might be worth looking out towards Berwick. The commute would be longer at about an hour, but I think you may get some reasonable houses for the budget you are looking at. There are some great schools there too. It's not on the coast, but only about 30-40 mins down to the Peninsula.