hinterland township commuting distance melbourne?

Guest rebeccaw

Guest rebeccaw

Hi

we are looking at re-locating from Brisbane to Melbourne quite soon - but know many of the suburbs we like the sound of are very expensive for a young family.

We really liked some of the hinterland small towns in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast (a few minutes inland from Noosa) as they have decent acreage, friendly communities but don't feel too hillbilly.

Does anyone know if there are hinterland townships around the Melbourne region (also not too hillbilly) that are commutable to Melbourne and not too far from transport links - or is this a ridiculous question!!!

any info gratefully received

I live in one and our township is ringed by different zones so that the town does not merge with the next one. So in the centre its medium density residential and then it goes to low density acre or couple of acres and then five acres and then broad acres. We love it but then we live on acreage. Price goes up as you move out of the centre, the centre has reasonably priced housing of equal calibre to the housing in other areas but little cheaper as we are 20 minutes drive from the beach. Lots of horsey type people live here, breeding studs, thoroughbreds mostly.

Also you could look further on the Peninsula at places like Bittern, Balnarring, Tyabb.

On the eastern side of the Peninsula its very nice too but its very built up and acres and acres of housing at say Mornington Mount Martha.

Then you could also look at places like Clyde which is out the back of Cranbourne, Upper Pakenham, Upper Beaconsfield, my brother lives in Upper Beac but its a hard trip to the CBD for work he does it.

Going to the other side of Melbourne you could look at Bacchus Marsh, Riddles Creek.

Out of Geelong there are small towns also, Bannockburn comes to mind as I have some friends who have just moved there and there is acreage there too.

If you like the hills then you could look at places like Lilydale, Monbulk, Sassafras, Belgrave, Emerald.

Have a look on realestate.com.au and check a few of the areas out.

Good luck

Guest rebeccaw
I live in one and our township is ringed by different zones so that the town does not merge with the next one. So in the centre its medium density residential and then it goes to low density acre or couple of acres and then five acres and then broad acres. We love it but then we live on acreage. Price goes up as you move out of the centre, the centre has reasonably priced housing of equal calibre to the housing in other areas but little cheaper as we are 20 minutes drive from the beach. Lots of horsey type people live here, breeding studs, thoroughbreds mostly.

Also you could look further on the Peninsula at places like Bittern, Balnarring, Tyabb.

On the eastern side of the Peninsula its very nice too but its very built up and acres and acres of housing at say Mornington Mount Martha.

Then you could also look at places like Clyde which is out the back of Cranbourne, Upper Pakenham, Upper Beaconsfield, my brother lives in Upper Beac but its a hard trip to the CBD for work he does it.

Going to the other side of Melbourne you could look at Bacchus Marsh, Riddles Creek.

Out of Geelong there are small towns also, Bannockburn comes to mind as I have some friends who have just moved there and there is acreage there too.

If you like the hills then you could look at places like Lilydale, Monbulk, Sassafras, Belgrave, Emerald.

Have a look on realestate.com.au and check a few of the areas out.

Good luck

thanks you are such a mine of information you should write a guide to emigrating and melbourne you know!! my partner is a builder so he will be travelling into melbourne to a location that changes so I suppose we have to work out if living out will be impossible if he has to work on different sides of the city but a friend told us the traffic there is not as bad as brisbane as the roads system is better designed (have no idea if that's the case)

I know it sounds a bit of a contradiction but which of those areas would you say are the best compromise between a bit more space/land (but not necessarily a new build estate), commutable drive wise (not necessarily to cbd) and with some kind of centre/ community so you don't feel too isolated with a young family? I know it's not possible to have it all - but would really value your opinion on this

thanks you are such a mine of information you should write a guide to emigrating and melbourne you know!! my partner is a builder so he will be travelling into melbourne to a location that changes so I suppose we have to work out if living out will be impossible if he has to work on different sides of the city but a friend told us the traffic there is not as bad as brisbane as the roads system is better designed (have no idea if that's the case)

I know it sounds a bit of a contradiction but which of those areas would you say are the best compromise between a bit more space/land (but not necessarily a new build estate), commutable drive wise (not necessarily to cbd) and with some kind of centre/ community so you don't feel too isolated with a young family? I know it's not possible to have it all - but would really value your opinion on this

I like a mix like you and in Somerville we do have a mix I have put up quite a long post about where I live quite a long while ago We just love living here because we can walk to everything in the town if we want. We have three primary schools and one is a catholic school and a high school.

I would say that the township is not visually attractive due to the hotch potch that it is however it works very very well and if I had to move do not know where I would go. Its interesting that most of the people who live on the acreage properties around usually move into the centre of it once they are older.

Housing is a little cheaper here too and at the moment if people have the cash there are some reasonable acreage properties around for sale.

Its also handy that we have the train line and what is even handier is the fact that the Peninsula Link which is a new freeway is going to be about 5 minutes away for us in Somerville and we are getting a major on and off ramp. The freeway will not bother the township so its very good.

We have three supermarkets, and Aldi is opening as well. Goodness we ware down by the head with things for such a smallish town. We have a lot more facilities at our fingertips.

I like to be near the sea so it also ticks that box living on the Peninsula.

Guest rebeccaw

thanks petals - i did see your earlier post when trawling through and it sounded great I just wasn't sure if it was a very long drive when you said people drive to the station at Frankston as my other haf will def have to drive in with materials you see.

Its very hard to pick isn't it we have just been through the same in S Coast then Brisbane - so I don't want to move again this time when we've picked if I can help it as have had enough!!

many thanks again x

All the trades people drive to work and there are lots of them around the Peninsula. Its the people who work in offices in the CBD who take the train.

Driving to Frankston takes me about 10 - 15 mins depending on the traffic.

Once you arrive here you really need to look at all the options as depending where your oh is going to be working and how long he wants to commute may be the deciding factor.

All the areas I mentioned are ok.