Melbourne Suburbs

Guest childecc1

Guest Revs30

Realestate.com.au has a suburb profile at the foot of each suburb you look at. Also if you visit the council web sites you get a very good indication of what the suburb is like. Also you could look up census information which also gives a lot of information about different areas of Melbourne.

Actually, there is south of the Yarra and North of the Yarra, if one is a southside person one tends to stay there, if north same applies. North and West have been industrial type areas and are now being redeveloped. Becoming very popular as less of a commute to the city.

East is popular and leads out to the leafy suburbs near and into the hills.

South east is also very popular with Brits, areas such as Berwick, Narre Warren, however a good commute to the city.

Beachside is lovely and if you like to be near the beach then you need to look at areas going south and in the west.

Closer to the City Centre means higher rental prices and property prices. Inside the ten km circle around the city means expensive.

Good luck.

Guest Revs30

I will be either working in preston or footscray.

Where do you think would be nice areas to live nearby for each office?

For Preston - reservoir?

For Footscray - Altona or Williamstown?

HELP!

Preston is in the City of Darebin and Northcote is a suburb which is popular but can be expensive. as its within ten km circle.

Do not know much about Reservoir but imagine you will be able to travel to your work from other suburbs.

Williamstown is lovely and a very desirable place to live.

Altona is becoming popular but do not know if it will stay that way given that the train service no longer is to go into the CBD and people will have to change trains.

Have a look at the metlink site and see what transport is available for you to your work place.

Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria

Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes are popular places if you like new builds and quite a few Brits seem to be building their lives in these areas.

Depends on your budget really.

It will all fall into place and really until you live here you will not know where you would like to live, often people are set on an area come out and then live in a completely different area, horses for courses.

• 3 weeks later...

Revs30, Preston is near where I work and is absolutely horrible. Footscray is one of the worst areas in Melbourne but thats doesnt matter so much (i work in an awful area too) but you can live somewhere nice. There are many areas within commutable distance of Preston that are nice. Try the cities of Banyule and Manningham, it will be a bit of a drive but worth it. Eltham is nice and Warrandyte is stunning. We live in Greensborough which is not brilliant but nicer than Preston. Williamstown is pretty good, about the best place around Footscray

Guest Revs30
Resevoir is horrible. The name is misleading! Its a million miles from water!

million miles? its less than half hour in the car!

We aint rich so if you can find a nice brick built 3 bed property for $350-400pw much closer to the water in a better suburb then trust me, I am all ears :D

$400 will get you a decent house in numerous suburbs, the advantage of resevoir is it would be near work for you but I would be more inclined to go a bit further away, it depends what you like. Thats the problem with suggesting stuff on here cos its very subjective but Eltham is really nice and if you want something a bit more remote Hurstbridge is really nice as is Warrandyte. It depends what your after. Resevoir is very inner-city I think and a bit rough in parts (but no doubt 10 peopl ewill tell me it isnt when they read this!), I dont kjnow if you have seen the beaches around Melbourne. I think they are a bit crap, but Mornington area is good and past Geelong is fabntastic Torquay, Lorne etc its worth driving further for the day for those beaches

Never judge a book by its cover. In my view living where its affordable, the house is ok and street is ok is what its about. Living in something unaffordable in a so called "nice area" does not mean happiness. Its affordability and being able to do other things than pay rent or mortgage that makes us happy,.

Check the suburbs out once you are here and also once you are at work word of mouth is great.

Unfortunately once people have a negative view about a city or town they cannot see the wood from the trees. So take negativity with a grain of salt.

Its always worthwhile looking at wiki about suburbs too and it reveals the council sites. These sites give people an idea of the demographic and who lives in the area.