Melbourne to Adelaide via Great Ocean Road tips + suggestions please :)

Guest B3lty

Hi everyone,

meself and my girlfriend are going to be spending 10 days travelling from melbourne to adelaide via the great ocean road. the aim is to drive and camp on the free sites. Can anyone provide any suggestions on places to visit things to do etc? or even camping locations. Any help would be beneficial as i am sure some of you have found some awesome places on your travels.

I look forward to hearing from you all!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi B3lty

Free camp areas you have:

Aire River East Camp Ground which is 29km West of Apollo Bay

Aire River West Camp Ground 38km West of Apollo Bay

Johanna Beach Campground 15km South of Lavers Hill

Fitzroy River 25km NE of Portland

Sawpit Campground 4km NW of Narrawong

There are lots of payable camp sites as well plus many more free ones, if you want more info give me a shout. I'm just not sure if you are in a tent or camper.

hey cheers for your reply, we are in a tent, do we need to register or anything to use the free camp grounds or can we just turn up and pitch up? and are there any activities, things to do other than the obvious ocean road ones you would recommend?

Guest The Pom Queen

You just turn up, first in best dressed.

I would drive down to Sorrento and go on the ferry across to Queenscliff then drive to Apollo Bay for lunch. Take a look at Cape Otway Lighthouse Cape Otway Lightstation - Australia's Most Significant Lighthouse and also The Otway Fly Tree Top Adventures - Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia then don't forget the 12 apostles, great at sunset or sunrise.

Flagstaff Hill in Warrambool FlagstaffHill | Home Page

Also Port Fairy is worth a visit, the fish and chip shop there is fantastic best Barra and chips I have had in a long while. The unfortunately I can't advise as I haven't gone past there.

Have done the whole trip, Picannini Ponds, Mount Gambier and stayed at small towns along the coast to Adelaide, very enjoyable, might do it again one day. Funny everywhere we stopped after leaving Vic the same people turned up in the little towns each night as well. Ulysses Club at that time.