Melbourne Areas To Live Dilemma

richselina

We are visiting Melbourne in a few weeks to search for areas to live when we move later this year and despite searching for many hours on the internet still cannot decide what areas to visit. Having said that we have decided we can't go further south than Berwick because of the commuting time into CBD.

Our main requirements would be:

Good Area to live with good primary schools

Nice area - not to industrial/built up

Good selection of Houses within our budget of up to $600,000 - Large Gardens

Nearby shops

Near to beach would be nice, but also the hills would be just as nice

Commuting time of less than 1 hour

I am already going to be visiting Berwick and Belgrave as these tick a lot of our requirements, but really would appreciate some thoughts on other areas we could look at.

Also as a lot of my search has been south of Melbourne, would appreciate some thoughts on other areas - maybe North of Melbourne,

Many thanks,

Richard

Hi, Did you watch Phil Down Under channel 4 last Friday, that was based in Melbourne they wanted basically the same things as you and he came up with some beautiful houses, 4 beds 10 mins from beach 40 mins commute, good schools, one even had a pool. You can watch it on line or catch up I'm sure and if you go to channel4/homes the properties they looked at are there, I don't know the areas but you'll be able to find that out from the site or programme.

Hope this helps, happy hunting

Guest The Pom Queen

There are lots and lots of suburbs that would fit with your requirements:

Berwick

Lyndhurst

Lynbrook

Sandhurst

Lysterfield

Eltham

Hawthorn

Doncaster

Doreen

The Basin

Point Cook

Sanctuary Lakes

Mordialloc

Mentone

etc etc there are lots that I have missed out, the best thing is to come and have a look and see where you feel most settled.

Kate

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've spent a lot of the day looking at some of these places and some are now on my places to visit, so thank you.

While I've been searching before I've always discounted the western suburbs of Melbourne as I've been told they are quite industrial and a bit quieter than the eastern and southern suburbs. Could you please let me know your thoughts on areas around Point Cook.

Thanks,

Richard

Six hundred will get you a lovely house in the burbs it will get you less as you progress towards the CBD. Six hundred in say Mentone not a lot of money, smaller house. Also the houses are older in the price range you have need renovating and small.

Realestate.com.au will give you an idea of what your money will buy.

Six hundred thousand would get you a small wooden house on an acre here in Somerville, one just went up for sale today.

18 Compass Court, Somerville, Vic 3912 - House for Sale #107109172 - realestate.com.au

13 Arleon Court, Somerville, Vic 3912 - House for Sale #107042788 - realestate.com.au a newer house on a smaller block in Somerville

Now we are on the Peninsula over an hour from the CBD.

Over to Point Cook on the other side of the city

850 Pier Way, Point Cook, Vic 3030 - House for Sale #106772864 - realestate.com.au

7 Edinburgh Court, Frankston South, Vic 3199 - House for Sale #107097376 - realestate.com.au South Frankston

Belgrave is way up in the hills, and can be damp in the winter if not in the right house, and a fire risk in the summer as it is in the hills (people do live there, but have a fire plan). The commute is pretty busy. The bayside area might suit you or some of the suburbs Kate mentions, but Berwick is fine.