Daily Mail UK still spruiking job opportunities in Australia....

Diane

...when there aren't enough for the people who are already here!

Mining Project Managers still being sought? Really?? I thought people in mining were leaving in droves because the jobs just aren't there anymore.

I saw a link to this article and thought it must have been from a few years ago, but apparently it was only yesterday!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3715521/Employers-look-overseas-Australia-faces-skills-shortage.html

Mining Project Managers still being sought? Really?? I thought people in mining were leaving in droves because the jobs just aren't there anymore.

I saw a link to this article and thought it must have been from a few years ago, but apparently it was only yesterday!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3715521/Employers-look-overseas-Australia-faces-skills-shortage.html

That was my criticism when all the brexit people were raving about Australian points based system.

they have to fill the pages with something. Mining engineers were recently removed from the SOL I believe

They're no worse than the aussie government who still claim to want over 7000 electricians per year, with the freedom to locate to anywhere in Australia, when in the big cities there's already hundreds if not thousands of aussie sparkies out of work already.

We're over in the UK on a 3 month trip and this sort of thing reinforces the 'wanted down under' stereotype. People automatically assume we must all live in a huge house by the beach in a well paid Aussie job.

Incidentally I got some agency work over here to keep us ticking over within an hour of registering with an agency - not great paying but its work all the same and we're in a relatively small town (Kendal, Cumbria).

Lucky Bugger! Gateway to the Lakes and less than an hour from my home town

Kendal is a great town. Stunning countryside and vibrant town centre with plenty going on. One of the few places in the North that is always up there in those 'most desirable places to live in the UK' listings. I would happily move there, would just need to convince Mrs K :cool:

Don't head for Perth if you can avoid it. Over the next 4 months thousands of skilled and not so skilled workers will be joining the ever growing list of the jobless as both the Wheatstone and Gorgon Projects are winding down. My experience of the Daily Mail is that it rarely tells nothing but the truth.

Edited by scuffythetugboat

Don't head for Perth if you can avoid it. Over the next 4 months thousands of skilled and not so skilled workers will be joining the ever growing list of the jobless as both the Wheatstone and Gorgon Projects are winding down. My experience of the Daily Mail is that it rarely tells nothing but the truth.

Shouldn't that be "anything"?

How come UK interest rates are basically at zero if they are doing so well.

Australia's economy has been very good all things considered.

Housing market would go up in flames. Australian love of personal debt with little apparent awareness of consequences if things go pear shape. Britain following of what much of Europe has done. A couple of suggestions for starters.

One must only wonder why the Daily Mail prints such blatant lies to its readership? Why talk up another country, so obviously in decline, when your own economy is not that bad? Are they paid to do so or is something else afoot here?

UK faces a recession...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/aug/03/markets-await-uk-services-data-ahead-of-bank-of-england-meeting-business-live

Oh and wage contraction similar to Greece

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/27/uk-joins-greece-at-bottom-of-wage-growth-league-tuc-oecd

Maybe oz not so bad...

Just stick around a bit. I'm reasonable assured we can put a challenge up to the worst of them.

WA is facing a recession but not so the other states. We are short of plumbers and electricians over in the East- damn hard to get one when you want one I know that. When they do come, after a long wait, they charge like the proverbial wounded bull.

Even in Perth they still charge, recession or no recession. I had one working here on internal plumbing issues an entire day and a half. Run into problems renovating an entire bathroom. Not cheap, but I am hearing mixed messages from tradies. It was quiet before the election/ financial year, picked up and now dropping off again, at least with certain trades.

WA is facing hard times. I suspect QLD is not too far behind. SA is hardly going great guns, NT also in decline. Sydney may be together with Melbourne, The Place to Be, but hardly easy to set up there with the huge costs around housing especially.

Even in Perth they still charge, recession or no recession. I had one working here on internal plumbing issues an entire day and a half. Run into problems renovating an entire bathroom. Not cheap, but I am hearing mixed messages from tradies. It was quiet before the election/ financial year, picked up and now dropping off again, at least with certain trades.

WA is facing hard times. I suspect QLD is not too far behind. SA is hardly going great guns, NT also in decline. Sydney may be together with Melbourne, The Place to Be, but hardly easy to set up there with the huge costs around housing especially.

Yes- good points there. House prices in Melbourne are absolutely ridiculous and getting worse because they allow off shore people to just swoop in and scoop up all the property worth developing. Very unfair to the young ones.

Yes- good points there. House prices in Melbourne are absolutely ridiculous and getting worse because they allow off shore people to just swoop in and scoop up all the property worth developing. Very unfair to the young ones.

Putting it mildly I'm afraid. it won't end well at this rate. NZ has finally taken some action, as has Canada. Sadly the REIOA and Banks seem to dictate policy in Australia. This amounts to a very grubby situation where many people living here can/will be no longer able to afford to, or will have such a diminished lifestyle with massive personal debt and a ' challenging' workplace to top it, that the likelihood more will seek a one way ticket out or ' alternatives' in how they live.

And there goes the interest rate to 0.25% ...

But yeah booming along

Further rate cuts are not really being considered, but never say never, I suppose. They are something of a blunt tool nowadays anyway. Banks don't pass on the full amount, using a part to reward themselves and share holders. Bring on the Royal Commission into banking practices I say.

• 3 weeks later...

The U.K. Is in a much better economic situation then Australia. I'm an Electrician working on a Major Oil and Gas Project and can tell you that confidence in Construction is at all time low. You could say that Australia has entered or will enter recession. Commodities here are just too expensive to build and produce compared to Asia. On the other side of the world my Australian Friend has found work for a prestigious Electrical company in London. Under Two days of landing. He was also taken back with how many projects are taking place.