This is every year and growing....

Perthbum

• 2 months later...
Good news for industry and the economy and with unemployment at only 4.9% we can see that the vast majority are contributing taxes.

You don't think there is a connection with high migration and low unemployment? Casual relationship or cause and effect?

Simple solution to reduce it is to fix Europe. Easiest way to do that is scrap the Euro. But maybe brexit will be the catalyst? French and German elections will be interesting.

Bad news for schools and hospitals who are already struggling to cope to the numbers.

Cal x

As immagration make up a small fraction of the population of the UK it is the under funding of the NHS and schools that is causing the problems not the immagration

Under funding or not, its not hard to work out -current population = services on their arse,, dont add more people via migration until that can be sorted or more restrictions are put in place as it makes the problem even worse.

Cal x

Add in the housing shortage, how many people are on zero hour contracts.

As in Australia, excessive migration is not a good thing and divides the nation. The most vulnerable pay the price. It strains infrastructure, inflates the housing market, puts locals against migrants at entry level or unskilled jobs as well as feed resentment which is inflamed by far right media and organisations.

The result of excessive migration and not taking the people along for the ride, will be bias and anti migration/foreign outbursts which does nobody any good.

Under funding or not, its not hard to work out -current population = services on their arse,, dont add more people via migration until that can be sorted or more restrictions are put in place as it makes the problem even worse.

But the 330,000 input is only 0.5% or thereabouts of the UK population. Public services should be able to cope with an increase which probably falls well within their margin of error for planning.

But the 330,000 input is only 0.5% or thereabouts of the UK population. Public services should be able to cope with an increase which probably falls well within their margin of error for planning.

The numbers arriving though are not evenly distributed throughout the kingdom. Areas like London are heavily impacted. Although being the city it is can absorb numbers and diversity as few cities can. Hence I'd imagine other migrant prone areas like Peterborough or Boston or Slough and the like may feel the pressure more perhaps.

Australia had 168,183 in 2015 so you nearly doubled our intake. Mind you you seem to be able to manage the economy better than we do and have more intelligent politicians than we are able to attract so maybe it is no bad thing? London has always attracted a lot of migrants because there are more jobs there and that has been the case for centuries.

Bad news for schools and hospitals who are already struggling to cope to the numbers.

Cal x

And are the problems of undersubscribed schools and hospitals part of the problem too? Demographics change. My village used to be full of old people. When they die, families move in. Our local school has doubled in size. Nothing to do with migrants, and not really a major problem. Although in inner city areas, where there is no room for expansion, it can be a problem. But again, how much is down to poor planning? How many schools sold their fields to housing?

Our local hospital was due to close five years ago. We fought to keep it. Now it is over subscribed. You really couldn't make it up. I doubt these problems will decline if migration stops.

It would also be interesting to look at the composition of migrants, both EU and non EU, and as to whether or not they are planning on staying here, and how old they are and whether or not they have children.

Add in the housing shortage, how many people are on zero hour contracts.

I don't understand the link with zero hours contract?

Housing for sure. Not rocket science, these people need somewhere to live. This is the major problem with immigration when the levels get too high.

Australia had 168,183 in 2015 so you nearly doubled our intake. Mind you you seem to be able to manage the economy better than we do and have more intelligent politicians than we are able to attract so maybe it is no bad thing? London has always attracted a lot of migrants because there are more jobs there and that has been the case for centuries.

What was it during the mining boom?

Does depend on where the people go. Inner cities are much harder to expand. Better planning and better transport infrastructure is needed.

Our local hospital was due to close five years ago. We fought to keep it. Now it is over subscribed. You really couldn't make it up. I doubt these problems will decline if migration stops.

It would also be interesting to look at the composition of migrants, both EU and non EU, and as to whether or not they are planning on staying here, and how old they are and whether or not they have children.

They closed our old 'local 'hospital, or at least half the services there including maternity not long after we left. It was ridiculous ,it left women in labour a good 30 min drive with NO traffic to get to a hospital with a maternity unit, easily double or more in rush hour. Loads of appeals were held at the time but they still shut it down 'due to funding issues'.

I've read /heard more than ever this year how parents have struggled getting their kids into a local school, a lot could be down to media hype with Brexit etc, i don't know. but that surely isn't good with more people still moving there.

Cal x

I don't understand the link with zero hours contract?

Housing for sure. Not rocket science, these people need somewhere to live. This is the major problem with immigration when the levels get too high.

Reference to the PB 2nd post how it's good for industrie , taxes and unemployment at only 4.9%

Immigration is a poor excuse and seized upon by right wing groups for the shortcomings on the NHS, IT IS THE UNDER FUNDING BY THE PRESENT GOVERNMENT THAT IS THE PROBLEM. If they had the balls to raise income tax by a penny in the pound and NI by a penny in the pound the NHS could be funded to be the best in the world, the people want it but the tories are **** scared to do it.

Immigration is a poor excuse and seized upon by right wing groups for the shortcomings on the NHS, IT IS THE UNDER FUNDING BY THE PRESENT GOVERNMENT THAT IS THE PROBLEM. If they had the balls to raise income tax by a penny in the pound and NI by a penny in the pound the NHS could be funded to be the best in the world, the people want it but the tories are **** scared to do it.

It's that they are scared but rather that they don't want to as it goes against everything they believe in. To the Tories the ideal model would be user pays and stuff those that can't afford it. A bit like the American system really.

Reference to the PB 2nd post how it's good for industrie , taxes and unemployment at only 4.9%

Well yes, but who regulates zero hours contracts? They certainly aren't a new thing. In Australia 35 years ago I worked casual. I had a regular shift, but could be called at short notice or even asked to go home if things were quite. Others were part time and had more stability but i got a higher rate. This was effectively a zero hour contract. I don't understand the link to immigration? Immigrants may be forced to go on zero hours contracts, but surely this has more to do with our regulating employment rather than immigration per se?

I still think the majority of the blame sits with the EU. The UK is doing well. The US is doing well. Asia is not that bad. The guy letting the side down is the EU. This is partly because of the EU's inability to organise a piss up in a brewery, and partly because the euro magnified the problem and hampers the solution. But the Federalists can't admit that the euro is failing, as it means their dreams of a federal Europe will turn to dust.

Well, hate to tell you guys, that horse has bolted. There's no chance a federal Europe can work. The sooner they realise this, drop the euro and return the eu to an open trade agreement, the better. Hell, we may even rejoin if they restructure it properly.

Big question is, where are all these migrants going to go when we close the door? Australia?

And why did we never close the door to non EU migration? We had the key to that door?

Edited by newjez

It's that they are scared but rather that they don't want to as it goes against everything they believe in. To the Tories the ideal model would be user pays and stuff those that can't afford it. A bit like the American system really.

Which sees the poor dying because they cannot afford life saving drugs.

Well yes, but who regulates zero hours contracts? They certainly aren't a new thing. In Australia 35 years ago I worked casual. I had a regular shift, but could be called at short notice or even asked to go home if things were quite. Others were part time and had more stability but i got a higher rate. This was effectively a zero hour contract. I don't understand the link to immigration? Immigrants may be forced to go on zero hours contracts, but surely this has more to do with our regulating employment rather than immigration per se?

Its a way of manipulating unemployment figures IMHO. I Think it's the government who control the regulations not sure .

The difference between uk and Oz is that here in oz you do get a higher rate if on casual in the uk it's the minimum wage at best. The U.K. is full as some people put it, there is no point in trying to compare population to oz and uk it's not a like for like , virtually more people live in London than most of Australia put together , with out checking I can't quote exact figures.

The last time I read about the housing I think it was 60k house per year are needed to be built to meet demand.