Expats will you / have you registered to vote in the Brexit referendum?

Peach

I'm in two minds: the fact that I keep seeing ads to register to vote on Facebook makes me think that the UK gov considers that expats are more likely to vote to stay in Europe. Perhaps because we value freedom of movement? But maybe now that I've left the UK, it shouldn't really be any of my business?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent registered as I have no intention of going back to live so I dont think I am entitled to a say. I may have if I had been on a temp visa and was returning in the next couple of years.

I havent registered as I have no intention of going back to live so I dont think I am entitled to a say. I may have if I had been on a temp visa and was returning in the next couple of years.

Same

Registered for the postal vote.

I'm voting for UK to remain in the EU. We're selling our home in the UK, still waiting for contracts to complete. When I finally get the money, I want a decent exchange rate on the money.

If the UK were to leave, the value of the pound will drop and we'd end up loosing many thousands of $$$.

People who have moved permanently to Australia shouldn't vote.

It is irrelevant to them and really none of their business anymore.

It's possible to have ties to the UK still, even though they've moved somewhere else, ya know?

I'm voting for UK to remain in the EU. We're selling our home in the UK, still waiting for contracts to complete. When I finally get the money, I want a decent exchange rate on the money.

If the UK were to leave, the value of the pound will drop and we'd end up loosing many thousands of $$$.

So your only interest in the future of Britain and Europe is the impact on the exchange rate for your money.

That is incredibly shallow don't you think ?

So your only interest in the future of Britain and Europe is the impact on the exchange rate for your money.

That is incredibly shallow don't you think ?

Yes - that's right. And no I don't think it's shallow. You can think it's shallow if you like - I couldn't really care less.

Yes - that's right. And no I don't think it's shallow. You can think it's shallow if you like - I couldn't really care less.

You don't have to care and you are entitled to vote whatever way you want, that is how democracy works. But voting on the future of a country purely because you have an exchange rate transaction coming up, is definitely shallow.

I am going to submit a postal vote (at least I plan to, assuming the ballot papers arrive at my parents' house during the time I'm there in May & June!). Didn't want to risk a postal vote from Australia, after hearing many stories about how the card doesn't get here with enough time to return it.

I'm registered and voting out.

I'm returning to live in the UK in 2 years time, and need the $Au to be strong against the pound.

(I also think the EU is a pretty bad deal for Blighty.)

You don't have to care and you are entitled to vote whatever way you want, that is how democracy works. But voting on the future of a country purely because you have an exchange rate transaction coming up, is definitely shallow.

The exchange rate is a strong factor for me. I have registered but now have to find a proxy as postal voting from Oz is a non-starter.

There are good arguments on both sides of the debate and nobody has a crystal ball however on balance I think the case for remaining is the stronger.

I don't know why casting a vote to save me tens of thousands of dollars would be considered shallow anyway. People cast their votes for much lesser reasons.

The exchange rate is a strong factor for me. I have registered but now have to find a proxy as postal voting from Oz is a non-starter.

There are good arguments on both sides of the debate and nobody has a crystal ball however on balance I think the case for remaining is the stronger.

I don't know why casting a vote to save me tens of thousands of dollars would be considered shallow anyway. People cast their votes for much lesser reasons.

I know people vote for lesser reasons and I think everyone is entitled to vote for whatever reason they want. But I would maintain that voting on the future of a country you don't live in, on the off chance of gaining financially is one of the more shallow reasons. You do know that a favourable exchange rate is not guaranteed anyway.

I know people vote for lesser reasons and I think everyone is entitled to vote for whatever reason they want. But I would maintain that voting on the future of a country you don't live in, on the off chance of gaining financially is one of the more shallow reasons. You do know that a favourable exchange rate is not guaranteed anyway.

Once the date of the referendum was announced the exchange rate fell from a high of $2.20 to as low as $1.82. Some positive news last week for the Remain supporters following Obsma's visit boosted the £ by 9 cents against the dollar almost overnight.

It is reasonable to extrapolate from this that the vote is likely to have an immediate impact plus or minus 10 cents or more.

Anyone who owns a property or assets in the UK still and planning to transfer it to dollars would be foolish if they ignored this. A difference of 20 cents would provide someone with an extra $20,000 for every £100,000 they hold in UK cash or assets. Anyone who thinks these sorts of sums of money represent a shallow reason for voting a certain way must be seriously wealthy.

It would be pretty stupid of me NOT to vote. I'd like to see things pan out in such as way that benefits my family and I the most.

I honestly believe that a "remain" result will see the GBP/AUD forex rate increase to around 2.20. A "leave" vote could see it drop to around 1.60. That's a lot of money to lose for us. I'm not stinking rich.

A lot of people vote in elections choosing the party they believe will benefit them the most. e.g. Joe the pensioner might vote for Labour because he doesn't want to see the Conservatives introduce higher taxes for pensioners, because that's his belief that they will. (Just an example).

Is that shallow of him?

Once the date of the referendum was announced the exchange rate fell from a high of $2.20 to as low as $1.82. Some positive news last week for the Remain supporters following Obsma's visit boosted the £ by 9 cents against the dollar almost overnight.

It is reasonable to extrapolate from this that the vote is likely to have an immediate impact plus or minus 10 cents or more.

Anyone who owns a property or assets in the UK still and planning to transfer it to dollars would be foolish if they ignored this. A difference of 20 cents would provide someone with an extra $20,000 for every £100,000 they hold in UK cash or assets. Anyone who thinks these sorts of sums of money represent a shallow reason for voting a certain way must be seriously wealthy.

Check out the AUD to USD in same period. A pick of commodities has more to do with it than brexit