Who's got the heating on tonight?

Shamelessly copied from the aircon thread!

Not got ours on yet, it's 4 degrees outside but still warm enough for me inside - I'd have been freezing if it was 4 degrees outside in our Perth house!

Just asked yesterday OH yesterday if he could have the heating come on in the morning - i get up at 6am and the last week I've not wanted to get out of my toasty bed :)

Once I've settled down for the night, i might stick it on for an hour especially as my OH is out and I've got no-one to cuddle up too.

I must admit I tolerate the cold a lot more after coping with it in the winter in Perth - I used to have the heating on almost constant in the winter before but happy to sit under a blanket watching TV now.

No central heating, but we have lit a fire and the electric blankets are on. We live in an old house and, if this wind is 'Abigail', she's makingbher way under the door and through the floorboards!

Still, we've not used the amount of oil or logs we've usually got through by mid November.

I have an oldie who feels the cold and it's like a furnace in here most of the time but at nearly 92 his old bones feel different! I'm in the coldest room of the house with the window open and CH off in here. I am wearing a shawl to keep my shoulders warm though. We still have the very lightweight summer duvet on! (We did put the winter one on in January - March last year). Abigail is a tad blowy though and we've only got the tail!

• 2 weeks later...

It was on over the weekend - it was bloody freezing. These Victorian properties are built to last but god it gets cold. I love it though, especially when the Mrs pulls you into bed :tongue:

Only this week did my Winter City Boy coat come out it's been so mild to date......it's nearly Dec.... and then spring will soon be here!

QUOTEarrow-10x10.png=JockinTas;1936863932]Haven't had the heater on for a while now. Today is dull and showery but not cold.[ QUOTEarrow-10x10.png]

4.50 this morning...

• Real-Time Extremes

• Hottest 31.8 °C
    Wyndham Aero, WA

• Coldest -1.7 °C
    Mount Wellington, TAS

• Windiest 72.2km/h
    Hogan Island, VIC

• Wettest (Last Hour) 2.6mm
  • Mount Baw Baw, VIC

Cheers, Bobj.

we had the fire going last week end and I was woken by whoops and wheee's by my three aussie kids as we had..............wait for it...............snow on saturday morning, that low pressure scooted the temps from a mild 8/9 down to 1-2 on saturday morning, and a light dusting ensued, all gone by 1400 on saturday, but the kids excitement and hopping around is reminiscent of when I drove the landcruiser onto henley beach and got stuck right up to the runners!

QUOTEarrow-10x10.png=JockinTas;1936863932]Haven't had the heater on for a while now. Today is dull and showery but not cold.[ QUOTEarrow-10x10.png]

4.50 this morning...

• Real-Time Extremes

• Hottest 31.8 °C

Wyndham Aero, WA

• Coldest -1.7 °C

Mount Wellington, TAS

• Windiest 72.2km/h

Hogan Island, VIC

• Wettest (Last Hour) 2.6mm

• Mount Baw Baw, VIC

Cheers, Bobj.

I heard on the radio this morning that snow was forecast above 600 meters! We escape that. Today it is a blustery, quite cold day but blue sky at the moment. I believe Sydney has been forecast 38C. Horrid!

Shamelessly copied from the aircon thread!

Not got ours on yet, it's 4 degrees outside but still warm enough for me inside - I'd have been freezing if it was 4 degrees outside in our Perth house!

Just asked yesterday OH yesterday if he could have the heating come on in the morning - i get up at 6am and the last week I've not wanted to get out of my toasty bed :)

Once I've settled down for the night, i might stick it on for an hour especially as my OH is out and I've got no-one to cuddle up too.

I must admit I tolerate the cold a lot more after coping with it in the winter in Perth - I used to have the heating on almost constant in the winter before but happy to sit under a blanket watching TV now.

Strange how you are perfectly happy to sit under a blanket in the UK and be perfectly happy and say the house is OK in 4 degrees? Whilst you complain about being cold in Perth where it very rarely gets down to 4 degrees at the coldest time and usually soon warms up, even in winter. You must be wearing thick jumpers and lots of clothes.

Strange how you are perfectly happy to sit under a blanket in the UK and be perfectly happy and say the house is OK in 4 degrees? Whilst you complain about being cold in Perth where it very rarely gets down to 4 degrees at the coldest time and usually soon warms up, even in winter. You must be wearing thick jumpers and lots of clothes.

I think you've missed the point - before living in Perth I had never really experienced a cold house, if anyone had said sit under a blanket I would have said 'get a grip this is the 21st century' but in Perth in a series of poorly designed properties I had to learn to cope. My point was I am now happy to sit under a blanket in the UK because I had to in Perth and have acclimatised to the cold.

The biggest difference is 4 degrees outside in most Perth houses means 4 degrees inside too. I often found it was colder inside than outside as the houses were not designed to 'warm up' (quite understandably). As you probably remember we built a solar passive house and that made a huge difference but builders in Australia still have a lot to learn, we had to argue for a higher level of insulation than the building codes required even though we were perfectly happy to pay more for it!

4 degrees outside in a modern British house is probably 16 degrees plus inside even without heating on (I know I sometimes feel a bit chilly stick the heating on for an hour and it doesn't come on because the thermostat is set to 18 degrees).

I don't even have a jumper - 99% of the clothes I had last winter are gone (lost 4 stone since then!) and not bought any new ones yet. I have sat around in a jacket a couple of times so I could do with one!

There is no question it is colder in Scotland, I'm not deluded, but central heating makes the cold days much more comfortable than a cold day in Perth even if you only get them for maybe a month rather than the three here.

Paul ...trust me ,last weekend was cold ...i hate the cold ...thankfully its gone back up to about 10c ,for how long I don't know .

We are currently under the grey blanket ( sky ) .

Not my favourite time of year .

I have the heat in the house set at 21c ....lovely .

My wife loves it ...dark early ...hot meals ....family evenings together ....iam a celebrity on the Tele ....

I cant stand it ...give me spring ,summer and early autumn immediately before I spit my dummy

Well heating well and truly on now :)

House nice and toasty when I get up on a morning - only on for an hour but it makes a difference when you're getting up in the dark.

This thread came to mind becuase someone shared this on FB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34965545

Interesting that fewer people die in the winter in cold countries than warmer countries...this is the line that jumped out to me..

'The reason appears to be simple: in warmer countries homes have less insulation against the cold and people wear fewer clothes outdoors.'

See I really was colder in Australia :)