Jeremy Corbyn, thoughts?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone in the UK had heard about him until he suddenly took a lead in the leadership polls. He didn't get enough nominations on merit, but some within Labour thought it would be fun to have a "wider debate" and so lent him nominations, not expecting him to make any inroads.

It's refreshing he's not straight out of the oxford union convey belt and would represent the average man on the street much better than recent labour leaders.

Doesn't seem remotely qualified for the gig and comes across as a bloke who hasn't grown out of his student protest days. Don't think he has a hope of winning the ukip folk back, if he was anti EU it would be more interesting.

It's refreshing he's not straight out of the oxford union convey belt and would represent the average man on the street much better than recent labour leaders.

Doesn't seem remotely qualified for the gig and comes across as a bloke who hasn't grown out of his student protest days. Don't think he has a hope of winning the ukip folk back, if he was anti EU it would be more interesting.

should appeal to a few on here then :laugh:

It is odd isn't how someone with left wing credentials, in the Labour party of all things, should be causing such a stir. All the pissy little Blairites in the party climbing over each other to try and denounce him as a..................lefty:swoon:

I'll tell you what's odd, a political party that has just watched a centre right coalition get kicked out, to be replaced by a right wing party, and think the best way to get themselves re-elected is to lurch to the left :eek:

I'll tell you what's odd, a political party that has just watched a centre right coalition get kicked out, to be replaced by a right wing party, and think the best way to get themselves re-elected is to lurch to the left :eek:

TBH I think a lot boils down to how a message is delivered, whether it is delivered with conviction and in a coherent manner, by someone who actually believes in what they're saying. The voters will always be attracted to someone like that. The reason there is such apathy among voters is because of the lack of such leaders.

In other words, I think the main problem was Ed Miliband.

TBH I think a lot boils down to how a message is delivered, whether it is delivered with conviction and in a coherent manner, by someone who actually believes in what they're saying. The voters will always be attracted to someone like that. The reason there is such apathy among voters is because of the lack of such leaders.

In other words, I think the main problem was Ed Miliband.

I think you might be right, if you'll forgive the use of the R word.

I don't think milliband failed because of his politics. He failed because he was an idiot. I don't know this new guy. But if he can work with SNP there is hope. A bit of left wing won't hurt. Might keep the bastards honest.

I shall ignore the usual insults about Tory bastards and scum, you never get Tories resorting to such do you? They say that is why the shy Tory effect won in May, because people are abused for having Tory views, whereas Tories are tolerant of other opinions.

Anyway, a strong opposition is always a good, no matter which party is in power, that is how democracy works. The trouble with Corbyn is that it would make a weak opposition.

I don't think I can agree about tories not being as abusive as the left. I've read quite a few comments on this forum equally as bad as calling tories scum. There's also a lot worse on things like Twitter. Shockingly bad stuff. Definitely not what I would call tolerant

No this is just not the case, I am certain of it. During the election my Facebook feed was full of abuse of Tories, not a peep the other way. Do a search on here, I expect you will find "Tory scum" a thousands times, I doubt you will find "Labour scum".

"Tory scum" is almost a saying as is "Tory bastards". What is the equivalent for Labour? There is none, I have never heard anyone abuse Labour supporters because of their views. And the shy Tory was very real in May, it defied the odds. Or is there some other explanation?

Edited by Bungo

Loony left would be one of the nicest things ive read about the left. I suspect that if it wasn't for this being a forum with a lot of rules there might be a lot worse things. I have a few online friends who voted for the tories and while I couldn't do that I would never call them scum

No this is just not the case, I am certain of it. During the election my Facebook feed was full of abuse of Tories, not a peep the other way. Do a search on here, I expect you will find "Tory scum" a thousands times, I doubt you will find "Labour scum".

"Tory scum" is almost a saying as is "Tory bastards". What is the equivalent for Labour? There is none, I have never heard anyone abuse Labour supporters because of their views. And the shy Tory was very real in May, it defied the odds. Or is there some other explanation?

Seriously?

I shall ignore the usual insults about Tory bastards and scum, you never get Tories resorting to such do you? They say that is why the shy Tory effect won in May, because people are abused for having Tory views, whereas Tories are tolerant of other opinions.

Anyway, a strong opposition is always a good, no matter which party is in power, that is how democracy works. The trouble with Corbyn is that it would make a weak opposition.

I disagree. Someone with a bit of fire in their belly, a bit of passion, and an actual point of difference compared with party in power, now that could seriously scare the crap out of Cameron and co.

The trouble with Miliband (and for that matter Shorten here) is that he presented merely a watered down version of tory policy, in a really ineffectual, bumbling manner. If people want tory policy, they'll vote tory.

Actually he appears to have substance over style, something a little unique in politicians these days. Could well be Labours great future hope. Most interesting candidate to date.

Not forgetting it is crowded up there on the right wing merry go round. A lurch to the left with recognisable human values could well be the direction to take in a time where ordinary pundits are turning away from mainstream sameness in politics.

Actually he appears to have substance over style, something a little unique in politicians these days. Could well be Labours great future hope. Most interesting candidate to date.

What substance? Went to Grammar School but now wants to deny others the same opportunity he had. Dropped out of further education. Hasn't any real serious experience in running anything. Been sat in Parliament for 30 years but never been in a cabinet and most people haven't even heard of him, so not really getting his voice out there.

I like some of what he says but really he offers you nothing more than a Uni Student protester.