David Cameron to introduce tough new laws on EU immigration in response to UKIP election wins.

MARYROSE02

David Cameron will unveil tough plans to restrict immigration from the European Union within weeks to stop another Ukip MP being elected following Thursday night's by-election.

Douglas Carswell, a former Conservative, yesterday became the first MP elected to Parliament for Nigel Farage's UK Independence Party following a huge swing in support.

Conservatives warned that the decision by traditional Tory supporters to vote for Ukip would allow Ed Miliband to become Prime Minister if repeated in the general election in 209 days.

Labour narrowly won a second by-election by just 617 votes and Mr Miliband is also now facing a major challenge from UKIP in its traditional northern heartlands.

Mr Farage last night said that the two results show that "the whole of British politics has been shaken up in a way that the complacent Westminster class could never even have contemplated".

He predicted that more MPs will now defect to Ukip in the coming months.

The Prime Minister is now poised to make a series of manifesto pledges designed to address the concerns of disaffected voters in the wake an overwhelming by-election victory

In an attempt to seize the initiative back from Ukip, Mr Cameron warned voters that May's general election will be "the most important in a generation".

The Prime Minister said: "If you vote Ukip, you're in danger of getting a Labour government with Ed Miliband as prime minister, Ed Balls as chancellor and you'll get no action on immigration, no European referendum, and obviously - most importantly - you won't get a continuation of the plan that is delivering success for our economy and security for our people."

Mr Carswell won the Clacton by-election with a majority over the Tories of 12,404. His victory saw Ukip take 59.75 per cent of the vote, wrestling the seat from the Conservatives who won in 2010 with 53 per cent of the vote.

The 44.1 per cent swing is the second biggest in British political history and the biggest since 1983.

Labour came third but the Liberal Democrats suffered fresh humiliation. Nick Clegg's party was pushed into fifth, polling just 483 votes - capping a series of dismal by-elections since the party entered Government.

Some Conservatives had said that if they lost by more than 6,000 votes it could be impossible to win the seat back at the general election.

Senior figures in the party last night conceded that a forthcoming by-election in Rochester and Strood caused by the defection of Mark Reckless will now be "difficult to win".

Ministers have privately warned that the party will face a crisis if it is unable to halt Ukip's momentum by defeating Mr Reckless.

The by-election, which could be held next month, is a "must win" for the Conservatives if they are to win an overall majority at the election, a party source said.

Sir Edward Leigh, a former Conservative minister, called on Mr Cameron to respond to the Ukip threat by breaking up the Coalition and hardening his message on immigration.

"For both our sakes, in order to reconnect with our supporters, we need to break up the coalition," he wrote on the ConservativeHome website. "It would send another signal to our former voters that we mean it on protecting the armed forces, promoting marriage, and tackling waste in our country's massive social and health bureaucracy: a big ask."

Grant Shapps, the Conservative Party chairman, said that the Clacton result revealed the "simple truth" that Mr Miliband could become the prime minister in just seven months.

He said: "This is not spin. This is the truth, this is the reality. This is the moment that people will look at these results and say, 'Hold on a moment, this isn't just a free hit. If repeated in 209 days time it would put Miliband in Downing Street'. That's the reality of this result."

He appeared to concede that the Tories must do more to appeal to Ukip voters concerned about immigration and the EU and promised a series of manifesto pledges designed to appeal to disaffected Conservatives.

"We're approaching a general election - of course we're going to set out our manifesto in all of these different areas and you should absolutely expect to hear about all of these things," he said.

"But we have a plan and our plan is working on the economy. Our plan will work on these other big issues that people care about and in the end the comparison that people will have to make is do I want Ed Miliband or do I want David Cameron as my Prime Minister."

Brandon Lewis, a communities minister, said that the Tories will put immigration "at the heart" of the renegotiation with the EU to be held before an in-out referendum scheduled for 2017.

He said: "What people are worried about though is migration from the EU, and the Prime Minister made very clear last week that has got to be one of the key things at the heart of renegotiation that we will have before that referendum which we will deliver in 2017."

However, a number of senior Tories last night warned that Mr Cameron and the leadership must "respect" the concerns of Ukip voters.

Owen Paterson, the former Conservative Cabinet minister, said: "We must understand that Ukip voters have genuine worries. Do not abuse them. Present genuine, Conservative solutions respectfully."

Brian Binley MP, the treasurer of the 1922 committee of Conservative MPs, said the Tories should now make discreet approaches to Ukip about the possibility of an electoral pact with the Eurosceptic party.

He said: "You don't want to do it openly but I would say 'we are both centre right parties, you have been more successful at getting those people who feel let down'.

Mr Binley said that "nobody buys" the argument that a vote for Mr Farage is a vote for Mr Miliband. "It is absolutely bloody nonsense," he said.

Mr Cameron is to be tackled over the Ukip surge at a meeting of the 1922 committee on Wednesday.

Mr Farage last night said that his party now stands a chance of "holding the balance of power" after the general election.

He said: "We've got a chance here in a general election next year that is likely to be very tight, in an election in which no one party is likely to have a majority - if Ukip can keep this momentum going, we could find ourselves next May in a position where we hold the balance of power."

However, Mr Farage was last night facing criticism from campaigners after suggesting that HIV-positive migrants should be banned from entering Britain

The Ukip leader said that the result in Heywood and Middleton - where Labour had been expected to hold on to its 6,000 majority comfortably - was potentially even more significant than Clacton because it showed that Ukip could take votes from both main parties.

"In the north of England, in all those cities, the only challenger to Labour is Ukip and if you vote Conservative you will get Labour in all of those northern constituencies," he said.

Mr Miliband was castigated by members of his party following the tight contest in Heywood, despite the fact Labour narrowly increased its share of the vote.

Frank Field, a senior Labour backbencher, said: "If last night's vote heralds the start of Ukip's serious assault into Labour's neglected core vote, all bets are off for safer, let alone marginal seats at the next election."

And John Mann, the MP for Bassetlaw, said: "The real issue is why so many Labour voters are not bothering to vote. The mantra of 'must work harder' is not sufficient.

"If Ed Miliband does not broaden the Labour coalition to better include working-class opinion, then we cannot win a majority government. Ed Miliband does a lot of listening. Now he needs to do a bit more hearing."

Mr Miliband conceded that Labour now needs to address "specific concerns" about immigration and denied that he was "complacent".

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the EU referendum that Cameron has already promised (if re-elected) goes ahead, the UK could withdraw from the Treaty of Lisbon and do what they want anyway. They still could ignore the EU immigration stuff, as they have certain powers that they reserve as sovereign; but free trade/movement is one of the formative principles of the EU, so I'm not sure that they could just take out that 'bit' and stay in the EU.

• 3 weeks later...

Cameron will promise anything to be able to get over the line in May and try and win another term. I'll be surprised if he even tries to deliver on any of them. The Tories are rightly terrified that UKIP will split the right wing vote and deliver a majority to Labour, so they'll abandon any semblence of having their own policies and try to win the closet Little Englanders.

Cameron will promise anything to be able to get over the line in May and try and win another term. I'll be surprised if he even tries to deliver on any of them. The Tories are rightly terrified that UKIP will split the right wing vote and deliver a majority to Labour, so they'll abandon any semblence of having their own policies and try to win the closet Little Englanders.

Who do you think is going to win next year mate?

Who do you think is going to win next year mate?

I can see the Lib Dems being wined and dined desperately by both parties - lets put it that way.

I also think the Tories will, unofficially, do a deal with UKIP re withdrawing from certain seats to ensure Labour does not get in.

Whoever wins has a job to make people believe that any political party has any scruples, any morals, any idea of what the working people of the country have gone through in the last 6 or 7 years.

I can see the Lib Dems being wined and dined desperately by both parties - lets put it that way.

I also think the Tories will, unofficially, do a deal with UKIP re withdrawing from certain seats to ensure Labour does not get in.

Whoever wins has a job to make people believe that any political party has any scruples, any morals, any idea of what the working people of the country have gone through in the last 6 or 7 years.

How did Labour get saddled with such a dip $hit leader?? He's as bad as Bill Shorten here.

UKIP actually seem to be taking votes from the Tories and Labour, unlike the dreaded BNP who only ever did well in Labour seats.

People need to start voting for local independents rather than political parties. I don't know why people vote for random guy from Eton/Oxford who isn't from the area and has no clue about the real world.

Well said Verystormy, absolutely correct. After watching Sky UK a couple of days ago, they highlighted that many unemployed people will not do the jobs which are available or offered! This is where the government needs to tighten up, if you are unemployed then you must take a job if offered even if not ideal for your qualifications or experience. I moved to Australia promising that if required, I would work in Maca's, anything to pay my bills as I have a work ethic and do not want to depend on others to live.

If the jobs become filled in the UK then immigration would drop, social security payments would go down and could be paid at a generous level to those who actually need assistance. I do agree on limitations on benifits for new arrivals.

I don't see this as right or left wing, just common sence and if it requires adjustment to UK's relationship with EU then so be it as they are obviously a hold back on the economy developing by using UK as a bank account and allowing uncontrolled immigration from both within and from outside via Europe into UK.

S

Do people seriously believe that the majority of people get away with not taking jobs that are offered to them through the job centre? If you don't accept it without a very good reason you get banned. I had one advisor that I didn't get on with at all. He told me I had to apply for a care job but it was a high up one, like running a residential unit. I told him it was ridiculous.. I don't have care experience at all but he told me

I had to. I applied for 25 other jobs but not this one and he found out. I got banned for 3 weeks without any money. So they aren't the soft touch like some people seem to think

Do people seriously believe that the majority of people get away with not taking jobs that are offered to them through the job centre? If you don't accept it without a very good reason you get banned. I had one advisor that I didn't get on with at all. He told me I had to apply for a care job but it was a high up one, like running a residential unit. I told him it was ridiculous.. I don't have care experience at all but he told me

I had to. I applied for 25 other jobs but not this one and he found out. I got banned for 3 weeks without any money. So they aren't the soft touch like some people seem to think

you should report him stacey, its what these tory scum bastards want, to turn everyone against each other

you should report him stacey, its what these tory scum bastards want, to turn everyone against each other

That was a few years ago now but people seriously wonder why I refused to go when I was in between jobs for so long when you have to put up with that kind of thing. It's a absolute hell hole. My friend who graduated with a forensic biology degree but has no luck with jobs has had similar problems. She's been banned for silly things and if your going to go by stereotypes she's the least likely person you would imagine in the jobcentre. They have to work to so many targets now so they just try and chuck you out for any reason IMO

Some are also the complete opposite.

How did Labour get saddled with such a dip $hit leader?? He's as bad as Bill Shorten here.

The thing with Ed Miliband is that he is actually a very intelligent and able leader who is perfectly normal. But his support for the recommendations on press regulation from the Leveson Enquiry means that all newspapers who oppose that have a vendetta against him, and take the view that he is to be destroyed and replaced with another leader who will toe the line. So for a couple of years there has been a relentless campaign to portray him as 'weird', unfit to be PM etc. They even went after his late father ('The Man Who Hated Britain' story, whch was a travesty).

Sadly the British electorate, who have of course never met him, have swallowed the 'weird' tag.

Edited by akiralx

The thing with Ed Miliband is that he is actually a very intelligent and able leader who is perfectly normal. But his support for the recommendations on press regulation from the Leveson Enquiry means that all newspapers who oppose that have a vendetta against him, and take the view that he is to be destroyed and replaced with another leader who will toe the line. So for a couple of years there has been a relentless campaign to portray him as 'weird', unfit to be PM etc. They even went after his late father.

I take your point but he does seem utterly awkward in front of a camera: its not just a case of the Murdoch press 'monstering' him though is it? They're all at it, even Huff Post!

I admire his stance on Israel (especially so as he is Jewish) and his recognition of a Palestinian state and IIRC he was instrumental in GB pulling back from the brink of war in Syria.

He was less than impressive on the Scotland referendum though. He doesn't seem to have a good grasp on how to tackle the UKIP lunatic fringe.

From this far away you only see snippets, I'd be interested to hear in a UK perspective.

Whereas the Labour scum bastards just want to take money away from every hard working person, and give it to disabled, lesbian, Somali, single parent, immigrants along with houses taken from British folk.

It's answers like yours which disincline me to post here.