something i thought i would never see again in the u.k

bunbury61

A young bloke in the queue at the garage ......and he had a MULLET ...now I know its been haircut of the year in oz every year since 1982 .....but I haven't seen one in the u,k since the 90s ....I would have asked him , but he was a big bstard ....he listened to him pay for his fuel , keenly , in case he was an aussie ...but alas no , he was a yam yam :biglaugh:

What's a yam yam? Someone from Birmingham? I think there was someone here with a kind of mullet at some point!

no Stacey yam yams are from the black country ( Wolverhampton - Dudley - west brom ) ...instead of you cant its " yam cor do that " ....friendliest people in the country ...but the accent very different to a brummie

I can't tell the difference between say, Geordies and Mackems (a fatal flaw!) and if I'm listening to Noddy Holder, or Roy Wood, Bev Bevan, Jeff Lynne, Dave Hill, Jasper Carrott, who's that football commentator/punter who likes WBA, they all just sound like 'Brummies' to me! (an even more fatal flaw!)

Gangsters. 1976-1978. BBC. Opening Title. Saeed Jaffrey John Kline. photo.jpgJasvir Lota

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gifSubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif46[h=2]Subscription preferences[/h]

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gifLoading...

Working...

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif0 pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif0

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gifLike pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

About Share Add to pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gifpixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Published on 13 May 2014

Gangsters is a British television series made by the BBC and shown from 1975 to 1978.

Created by Philip Martin, and produced at the BBC's Pebble Mill Studios in Birmingham by David Rose, Gangsters began televisual life as an edition of Play for Today in 1975, followed by two series transmitted in 1976 and 1978. The series, set in the multi-cultural criminal community of Birmingham, has remained a cult favourite, memorable for its strong violence, multi-ethnic cast (and realistic - and now rather shocking - depiction of the racism of the time) and highly stylised, post-modern approach to storytelling.

Gangsters featured references to film noir, gangster films, westerns, Bollywood and kung fu movies, as well as increasingly surreal end-of-episode cliffhangers and a bizarre final scene where the characters not only "break the fourth wall" but walk off the set.

The two series had quite different tones. The first was a gritty thriller whilst the second was more surreal, with more emphasis on the post-modern elements.

The theme music was an instrumental performed by Greenslade; in the last series it was adapted into a version sung by Chris Farlowe.

John Kline (Maurice Colbourne) -- a tough, shady former SAS officer recently released from prison who becomes embroiled in the intrigues of the local underworld while attempting to go straight.

Khan (Ahmed Khalil) -- Pakistani police detective who uses Kline as a pawn in his bid to nail the organised crime syndicates of Birmingham.

Anne Darracott (Elizabeth Cassidy) -- a young woman and former heroin addict who becomes Kline's live-in lover.

Aslam Rafiq (Saeed Jaffrey) -- the charismatic boss of a racket trafficking illegal immigrants.

Sarah Gant (Alibe Parsons) -- glamorous undercover CIA agent out to nail the drug trade in the city, with a private mission to avenge the murder of her sister.

Kuldip (Paul Satvendar) -- Rafiq's murderous henchman.

Malleson (Paul Barber) -- a former thug who takes over his boss' underworld empire after he is killed and proves to be a formidable adversary of Kline and Khan.

Shen Tang (Robert Lee) -- the leader of a local Chinese Triad gang.

Lily Li Tang (Chai Lee) -- the daughter of Shen Tang, who assists her father in the running of the Triad.

Rolf Day (Rolf Day) - The racist night club comedian who appears in the Rum Runner night club

The series' writer, Philip Martin, also appeared in multiple roles, playing the gangland boss Rawlinson in the original play, the hired assassin 'The White Devil' at the end of season two (though Martin was credited as Larson P Whipsnide, a reference to his WC Fields inspired performance as the character), and as himself, dictating the script to a typist, in cutaways throughout season two.

I can't tell the difference between say, Geordies and Mackems (a fatal flaw!) and if I'm listening to Noddy Holder, or Roy Wood, Bev Bevan, Jeff Lynne, Dave Hill, Jasper Carrott, who's that football commentator/punter who likes WBA, they all just sound like 'Brummies' to me! (an even more fatal flaw!)

bev bevan ...roy wood ...jeff lynne ...brummies

jasper ....actually talks very posh now ...the brummie is a put on

dave hill ...noddy ...proper yam yams

Adrian chiles and frank skinner are from west brom, to you they sound like brummies , but they aint ....and I can hear a bit of both in their accent

proper black country ...sedgely ...dudlaaaay ( Dudley ) , Wolverhampton is very distinctive

BOSTIN .......

I can pick it straight away

And a very happy Christmas to you MARYROSE02, that's really very different at this time of the year? Calving Harris and summer ibiza blockbusters where I am ! Can I confirm that it is indeed.....Christmas where you are ?? :) I cant fathom one IONA why anyone would chose Slade in July !!! So it must be CHRISTMASSSSSSSSS. Calendar entry - must put tinsel round my computer tomorrow.

Where are Slade from? (I was playing one of their CD's today.)

Sorry, just in case !

And a very happy Christmas to you MARYROSE02, that's really very different at this time of the year? Calving Harris and summer ibiza blockbusters where I am ! Can I confirm that it is indeed.....Christmas where you are ?? :) I cant fathom one IONA why anyone would chose Slade in July !!! So it must be CHRISTMASSSSSSSSS. Calendar entry - must put tinsel round my computer tomorrow. - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/uk-news-chat/216373-something-i-thought-i-would-never-see-again-u-k-2.html#post1936571679

A young bloke in the queue at the garage ......and he had a MULLET ...now I know its been haircut of the year in oz every year since 1982 .....but I haven't seen one in the u,k since the 90s ....I would have asked him , but he was a big bstard ....he listened to him pay for his fuel , keenly , in case he was an aussie ...but alas no , he was a yam yam :biglaugh:

You never thought you'd see a young bloke in a queue in a garage in the UK ever again ? !! Oh, the Mullet, yes ! I see a guy in our high street (yes the Victorian one with ancient features) with this ridiculous rats tail about a foot long...oh how I laugh. Might climb up it one day sit on his shoulders and explain what's developed behind his head. I think he is not aware of it ......someone needs to tell him.

Guest Guest 47403
You never thought you'd see a young bloke in a queue in a garage in the UK ever again ? !! Oh, the Mullet, yes ! I see a guy in our high street (yes the Victorian one with ancient features) with this ridiculous rats tail about a foot long...oh how I laugh. Might climb up it one day sit on his shoulders and explain what's developed behind his head. I think he is not aware of it ......someone needs to tell him.

Nice one Chris :laugh: sotfly softly catchee monkey eh!??????

Seriously? And you a Sand dancer!

bev bevan ...roy wood ...jeff lynne ...brummies

jasper ....actually talks very posh now ...the brummie is a put on

dave hill ...noddy ...proper yam yams

Adrian chiles and frank skinner are from west brom, to you they sound like brummies , but they aint ....and I can hear a bit of both in their accent

proper black country ...sedgely ...dudlaaaay ( Dudley ) , Wolverhampton is very distinctive

BOSTIN .......

I can pick it straight away

I used to enjoy watching a lunchtime business show in England and got a feeling one of those guys who presented it was from The Midlands? Is that Adrian Chiles or is he just a football pundit/commentator?

How about Black Sabbath? Are they 'Brummies?' (I always a scathing put down of them in NME as 'Brickies on acid'.) I still only know two songs by them - Paranoid and Iron Man.

1970 was a brilliant year for rock singles - Paranoid, Black Night, Love Like A Man (Ten Years After) All Right Now, House of the Rising Sun (Frijid Pink) Voojoo Chile, Let's Work Together (Canned Heat) Up Around The Bend & Travelling Band (CCR), Spirit in the Sky (I think that was released in 1969 but charted in 1970 in UK?) I Hear You Knocking (Dave Edmunds) The Witch (The Rattles) - German band I think? 'Whole Lotta Love was in the charts but by CCS and not a rock version I don't think? Must Youtube that one - Alexis Korner - it was his band. Down The Dustpipe (Status Quo) Even 'Yellow River' by Christie. Almost forgot Brontosaurus by The Move, certainly their 'heaviest' single? And a couple of others that are half in my mind - Juicy Lucy - what did they do? Maybe 'Rag Mama Rag' by The Band and Mama Told Me Not To Come - 3 Dog Night.

Sorry, just in case !

And a very happy Christmas to you MARYROSE02, that's really very different at this time of the year? Calving Harris and summer ibiza blockbusters where I am ! Can I confirm that it is indeed.....Christmas where you are ?? :) I cant fathom one IONA why anyone would chose Slade in July !!! So it must be CHRISTMASSSSSSSSS. Calendar entry - must put tinsel round my computer tomorrow. - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/uk-news-chat/216373-something-i-thought-i-would-never-see-again-u-k-2.html#post1936571679

We do celebrate 'Xmas in July' here, but not sure if that includes "Merry Xmas Everybody!'

Years ago I could pick which town in Lancashire people were from. Can't tell the diff between Yorks and Lancs these days, they all sound the same to me now. I get Brum and Liverpool mixed too, never used to. Anyone old enough to remember that show on tv with 'oi give it foive' Janice from Brum?

Years ago I could pick which town in Lancashire people were from. Can't tell the diff between Yorks and Lancs these days, they all sound the same to me now. I get Brum and Liverpool mixed too, never used to. Anyone old enough to remember that show on tv with 'oi give it foive' Janice from Brum?

golden shot with bob monkhouse ...bostin luv ......and brummies and scousers sound nothing alike ....the strange for me is meeting someone from the far north of wales .....and to the untrained ear they do sound like scousers .....

I used to enjoy watching a lunchtime business show in England and got a feeling one of those guys who presented it was from The Midlands? Is that Adrian Chiles or is he just a football pundit/commentator?

How about Black Sabbath? Are they 'Brummies?' (I always a scathing put down of them in NME as 'Brickies on acid'.) I still only know two songs by them - Paranoid and Iron Man.

1970 was a brilliant year for rock singles - Paranoid, Black Night, Love Like A Man (Ten Years After) All Right Now, House of the Rising Sun (Frijid Pink) Voojoo Chile, Let's Work Together (Canned Heat) Up Around The Bend & Travelling Band (CCR), Spirit in the Sky (I think that was released in 1969 but charted in 1970 in UK?) I Hear You Knocking (Dave Edmunds) The Witch (The Rattles) - German band I think? 'Whole Lotta Love was in the charts but by CCS and not a rock version I don't think? Must Youtube that one - Alexis Korner - it was his band. Down The Dustpipe (Status Quo) Even 'Yellow River' by Christie. Almost forgot Brontosaurus by The Move, certainly their 'heaviest' single? And a couple of others that are half in my mind - Juicy Lucy - what did they do? Maybe 'Rag Mama Rag' by The Band and Mama Told Me Not To Come - 3 Dog Night.

yes , very much brummies ,The west midlands is very much the spiritual home of heavy metal..... Sabbath are sadly from aston ....ozzie was from 13 lodge rd ...not far from vile pk

judas priest are from the area

led zeppelin also ..... singer Robert plant is a regular at the wolves

Sabbath Guitarist tony iommi , lives in a beautiful part of the world not far from stratford ( honestly )...seen regularly out and about

loads of ex footballers , showbiz people live in that little pocket of the country , between stratford and warwick ....... , andy gray , trevor francis , Daniel craig has a place , iam sure there are lots more

I will never be able to afford to live there, unless I won the lottery , 5 -10 miles up the road ..... it is bloody nice .....rural Warwickshire ....lovely

golden shot with bob monkhouse ...bostin luv ......and brummies and scousers sound nothing alike ....the strange for me is meeting someone from the far north of wales .....and to the untrained ear they do sound like scousers .....

Yes, I can recall Bob Monkhouse on the Golden Shot, as well as Charlie Williams, who seemed to struggle on the show. Recently met a chap from Rhyl and the accents were discussed. He seemed to think the accent change was from Rhyl onwards, but I think that it changes from Llandudno on. Cause is a huge influx of retirees fromthe Liverpool, Manchester area settling on the coast. Head down towards Anglesey and the Welsh accent is much more evident.

yes , very much brummies ,The west midlands is very much the spiritual home of heavy metal..... Sabbath are sadly from aston ....ozzie was from 13 lodge rd ...not far from vile pk

judas priest are from the area

led zeppelin also ..... singer Robert plant is a regular at the wolves

Sabbath Guitarist tony iommi , lives in a beautiful part of the world not far from stratford ( honestly )...seen regularly out and about

loads of ex footballers , showbiz people live in that little pocket of the country , between stratford and warwick ....... , andy gray , trevor francis , Daniel craig has a place , iam sure there are lots more

I will never be able to afford to live there, unless I won the lottery , 5 -10 miles up the road ..... it is bloody nice .....rural Warwickshire ....lovely

Those football rivalries can be funny! I always remember, must have been about 2001/02 season, going to see Spurs v Villa, first game, and on the train from Liverpool St to White Hart Lane, loads of Villa fans, who started to sing, not anti Spurs but anti Birmingham, who weren't in the EPL that season (I think.)

Those football rivalries can be funny! I always remember, must have been about 2001/02 season, going to see Spurs v Villa, first game, and on the train from Liverpool St to White Hart Lane, loads of Villa fans, who started to sing, not anti Spurs but anti Birmingham, who weren't in the EPL that season (I think.)

it aint funny ...it aint rivalry either ...its more than that ....a lot more