car rego

Guest zoensim

Guest zoensim

please help!!!! we have just bought 2 second hand cars from a dealer. he has told us we need to go to vic roads to change our license from uk to austalian because until we do this he can't transfer the registration to us? looking at the vic roads website it makes out that it is our job to do this anyway and far as i knew and read on other posts because we are on a temp 457 visa we did not need to change our license and could drive on our uk one for the duration of our time here.

also i can't get my head around the insurance rquirements do i need to take out a seperate insurance, the cars are worth about $5000 each so did not understand whether i needed to have 3rd party as well or if this is included in the rego anyway. or would you recommend having fully comp?

another thing is should he have given me a road worthy certificate because he didn't and i am beginning to worry that we have been done a bit.....sorry for all the questions i just want to get out and drive but knowing my luck i would trash it straight away

Guest proud2beaussie

As far as I am aware what the dealer is telling you is wrong,I know of no restriction on 457 visa holders registering vehicles in Victoria,also 3rd party insurance is included in the registration cost,the decision whether you take out full comprehensive insurance is up to you,if you own the vehicles outright.

to clarify all the points I suggest you ring Vicroads customer service on 131171,8.30am to 5.00 Pm Mon-Fri and 8.30-2.00 Saturday.

YES you must be given a roadworthy certificate unless the vehicle is sold as unregistered.

hi there, Yes you go to VIC roads TO OBTAIN a Australian Licence, you must make an appointment first, they get you to fill in a form, take your photo and hey presto you come away with BOTH YOUR UK AND OZ DRIVING LICENCE.Please make sure you take two forms of id with you of proof of address.The car should of been sold with ROADWORTHY CERTIFICATE, my other half works in motor trade at an Audi garage , we bought our car with REGO already on, its just come up for renewal and all we did was phone the vic roads and pay the money over the phone as car had roadworthy on it., as far as we are aware, the car should be sold with a roadworthiness certificate from the seller and to be presented at Vic roads so the registration document and rego (car tax) can be registered to the new keeper being yourselves. THE REGO ONLY COVERS YOU 3RD PARTY FOR INSURANCE..... Take it from us, we paid for fully comp insurance through RACV AND WE HAD ONLY HAD OUR CAR A WEEK WHEN SOME KIND PERSON DECIDED TO TAKE THE SIDE OF THE CAR OUT, WITHIN TWO DAYS IT WAS BOOKED IN FOR THE REPAIRE AND A HIRE CAR ORGANISED FOR US WHILE IT WAS BEING REPAIRED VERY EFFICIANT CARNT FAULT THEM..Get the extra car insurance for piece of mind we did and so glad we did .Just pm with any further questions.... w here abouts do you live

Guest zoensim

hi dunscombe family, he said that he had to do a road worthy thing on them both but he has not given me anything today when he bought the car down, i will have to ring him again tomorrow now..i have also jsut noticed that he has not fixed the lock on one of the doors that he promised he would so will have to tell him about that too. the rego is valid til end of march. we have been here since january 13th and started off in st kilda we are now in mount martha//mornington i can't decide which one we are in... i feel so wet behind the ears at the moment i would never have took a car off someone with no lock on it in the uk i have turned into a quivering wreck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
please help!!!! we have just bought 2 second hand cars from a dealer. he has told us we need to go to vic roads to change our license from uk to austalian because until we do this he can't transfer the registration to us? looking at the vic roads website it makes out that it is our job to do this anyway and far as i knew and read on other posts because we are on a temp 457 visa we did not need to change our license and could drive on our uk one for the duration of our time here.

another thing is should he have given me a road worthy certificate because he didn't and i am beginning to worry that we have been done a bit.....sorry for all the questions i just want to get out and drive but knowing my luck i would trash it straight away

Hi Zoe

Unfortunately the dealer has given you the wrong information. On a temp visa Vic Roads allows you to drive indefinite providing that you hold a full clean license from the UK. I do know Vic Roads usually need proof of your residential address and we have been asked to confirm our clients address on a few occasions.

With regards to insurance, I highly recommend fully comp. We have had so many people bang the cars whilst being parked in car parks and then just driven off.

You don't usually get a copy of the RW unless you ask for it. Also do not be concerend when you don't get a log book as you don't get this either over here.

Kate:wubclub:

You will probably find the dealer wants you to get Oz licences as if you buy a car on a UK licence there is more paperwork involved in the registration. Reply with ok we will leave it then and watch how quick they decide 'well actually i can do it with your UK licence',lol

You should get a road worthy certificate for each vehicle, it isn't uncommon for a trader not to road worthy them until you have agreed the sale as they expire after a few weeks, so if a car is stood on a sales pitch for a while it would cost a fortune to keep renewing them.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Guest zoensim

thanks everyone for the help,,,i think we have sorted it all out now, got the cars and are finally mobile...showed our faces at vic roads and they are sorting out transferring the rego...got the insurance fully comp as it was not much more than the 3rd party one...thank goodness its all sorted

Archived