Cost of importing a car?

KTG1000

Hi Guys. I know the general consensus is to buy when you're out there but I've been checking out the costs of used cars - they're massive in comparision to the UK.

For example, the 2002 Audi A4 TDi Avant I run around in here that is worth approx £6k would cost at least $18k. A difference of approx £3k sterling.

Has anyone imported their car? If so what sort of costs are we talking of?

All the best.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest emma cant wait to go!

Hi not sure of costs so cant really help but we agree and so do lots of others that used cars ar really expensive and do hold their price well in OZ. Wonder why??

x

You'll find that all european cars are much more expensive. Most people here drive either Ford's and Holdens (Vauxhall equiv) or the likes of Toyota, Honda etc. Also the manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai are exceedingly popular.

Although cars are much more likely to have higher mileage here (you clock up the miles really quick here so be prepared to accept that!) they also last much longer especially bodywork wise - no rust for example.

Licence plates will also not give away the age of the vehicle.

I suggest you contact a shipper to find out the costs of importing your car as very few people do unless it is vintage/highly valuable etc. The costs/taxes appear to be exceedingly prohibitive as I would guess they are trying to protect their manufacturing industry.

Guest VFRHOCKS

Spent most the day researching it.

Seems the cheapest to get a car over and you can an your other bits is £1300 but that is just for the car, mondeo size.

For a bike on its own and this is to get the bike to them, they will crate it and ship it over£750, For a VFR.

Then on top of this you have to get your import licence, this is needed before your bike goes, needs appling for at least 6 wks before you pack everything. Not got the prices on this yet, got confused and gave up, so anyone with any idea please feel free to add.

Then you have to pay extra if it aint clean properly, anything from $200 up.

You also have to send of copy of driving licence and proof of purchase for import licence, think for the bike it was about $50.

Ensure when you go over you have your driving licence, dvla doc's and insurance certificates( no claims,Ect)

Get a 48 hrs pass/permit, $15 and take to garage for tests about $45.

Then once you get everything back you have to pay about $150 for number plate.

There is also some insurance thing you have to pay and tax but cant find details of that at the mo. Will update once I have found it.

Can be pricey, Takin bike, as very popular model over there and not able to find one for sale on the net. There also go for thousands more than what I can buy one over here for.

Guest VFRHOCKS

Seems that from everywhere I read and ask, the answer is the same, unless the car is something special, get one over there, although they do hold the money there.

Costs seem around nearly £4000 all in to get a car there, where a lot are takin motorbikes, which I will also, alot cheaper and seems you dont have to pay tax on a bike.

hi sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody know the process/costs of importing my ruby?

ruby is my baby lol!!! but shes also a 1972 tax exempt vw camper & was always gonna sell her but now the times comming closer not sure i can let her go!!!!!!!! any info/links would be greatly appreciated anything helps to those in oz I know if u import an historic car from oz to uk its still tax exempt but what about uk to oz???????? like i say any info please dont know where to begin help ruby get to oz with us

Hi Guys,

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:

• Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Hi Guys,

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make

• Model

• Model Type

• Body Type

• Engine size

• Transmission

• Year of Manufacture

• Mileage

• Condition

So an example would be:

• What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

hi al just sarted reading the links u gave thanks v much but was wondering if you could give me any idea the costs involved whilst i try & work it out myself may take me a while lol

make VolksWagon

model T2

body type campervan

engine size 1584cc

transmission manual 2 wheel drive

year of manufacture 1972 37 yrs old

milage 95,000

condition excellent

approx value £10000/£12000

really hope you can give me an idea how much its gonna cost for my ruby to come to oz with us shes part of the family now & thanks for the post/links right back to reading up on it

make VolksWagon

model T2

body type campervan

engine size 1584cc

transmission manual 2 wheel drive

year of manufacture 1972 37 yrs old

milage 95,000

condition excellent

approx value £10000/£12000

really hope you can give me an idea how much its gonna cost for my ruby to come to oz with us shes part of the family now & thanks for the post/links right back to reading up on it

I'll have to look into this in the morning. Done three of these for other people already tonight and I need to get some grub.

You should be aware though that it's age may be a factor. The amount of work you would have to have done to it to have it comply with current Australian Safety Standards would be simply ridiculous.

Does it have Kph on the instruments as well as Mph ?

Al

Seems that from everywhere I read and ask, the answer is the same, unless the car is something special, get one over there, although they do hold the money there.

Costs seem around nearly £4000 all in to get a car there, where a lot are takin motorbikes, which I will also, alot cheaper and seems you dont have to pay tax on a bike.

Better check again was informed by oz customs had to pay import duties and tax

Mally

No you have to pay Duty and GST on Motorcycles. You should read the Customs documents on Duty/GST payable on Importing.

ACS: importing a motor vehicle

Specifically this one: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/importguidePrivOwnMV.pdf

Al

hi thanks no worries i'll wait as i understand a historic vehicle over 30 yrs is not liable for both taxes only one cant remember which one so would have extra to spend on road worthy etc was hoping just for an idea was always gonna sell her but would be kinda priceless to me in oz & u do see a quite a few over there that must have been imported not so much bothered about resale value once i get her there would NEVER sell

sell my vw camper! i'd rather scratch my bits with a wire brush!!!!!!! lol:biglaugh:

as i understand a historic vehicle over 30 yrs is not liable for both taxes only one cant remember which one so would have extra to spend on road worthy etc

You're right actually. There is no Import Duty on a vehicle over 30 years old (see the PDF in the post above your last one), however you will have to pay GST at 10% of the Customs Value, so you will still need a valuation done.

OK, my interest was peaked so I have had a look now...

UK Value: ~£10,000 (your valuation)

Aus Value: ~$11,000 (~£5,100 - only found one for sale on-line here)

Final "on-road" Expense: ~£3,200 (including GST of ~$715 and zero Duty)

loss: ~£8,100

Note - "On-road" means the cost from being road legal in UK to road legal and running in Australia excluding insurance

Not looking good mate. The car is rare, but pretty cheap here

Al

thanks mate that actually dont seem that bad people will & do say i'm mad & i know its a loss but like i say just dont think i could replace for simular pretty special old girl lol & really wouldnt want to sell if i went through all that she'll be mine forever lol nice one thanks again been a great help

Guest VFRHOCKS

Can you give me an idea for a bike, getting very confused with it all.

Never simple, from what I was able to tell, will cost about £1000, shipping and gettin it on the road.

Also considered taking mine to bits as heard if brought over in bits that there is some expensice you dont not have to pay, then once over in Oz to re build it. I do have lots of spare parts for it anyhow and still adding.

Thanks

Mark

• Make Honda
  • Model VFR 750 FR
  • Engine size 750cc
  • Year of Manufacture 1997
  • Mileage 31,000
  • Condition good
  • What you believe the bike is worth in the UK ? £2000

Can you give me an idea for a bike, getting very confused with it all. Never simple, from what I was able to tell, will cost about £1000, shipping and gettin it on the road.

Sorry mate I'm not big on bikes, but the duty is the same so at a UK value of £2,000 I would expect it to be around a £1,000 if you bundled it into your container, etc

I have also attached the cost for importing a 2007 BMW M3 for another member

Guest christel

Hi guys..yep it is very expensive to import a car, they have to match the standards and they have to be cleaned proffesionally, engine bays etc before they are packed and then they probably have to be done again..i wanted to bring mine but gave up..and bought one here, well two now actually, daughter has car now..its sort of like furniture..all wood has to be sprayed before they let it in and it sits in a warehouse until they say..all clear..I actually in the end came with a suitcase or two..and bought the rest here.

for cars..look at www.drive.com.au its a whole country web site that all the dealers and private car people us..also, we have ikea..if anyone is interested./..you can set up home for $5000, everything lol just like home...other furniture is cheap, well i found so..my 8 seating dining table cost $800..full pine, heavy table with chairs..i would have paid over GBP1000 in enlgand..its where you go and what you look for really, www.comfortstyle.com.au and www.harveynorman.com.au and electrical, well thats getting there lol..its a 'tad' more expensive than at home but you dont get the comets, and the dixons, and those people, retrovision are here..they are quite good.

I do understand about the car thing..it all seems so expensive here, but it isnt really, its relative, unfortunately we dont have cars to part x to get a better deal..but still ask for cash discounts, also, they run a slightly different system here, you buy a car then have to pay a % for re-registering in your name, a government thing, some states have this some dont, so this can add to the cost of the car, so check this fee out too. x

• 1 month later...
Guest the terry's
Hi Guys,

• Make

• Model

• Model Type

• Body Type

• Engine size

• Transmission

• Year of Manufacture

• Mileage

• Condition

So an example would be:

Hope this helps

Al

Hi Al could you help me with my baby, tried working it out failed miserably.

Make Toyota

Model Avensis Verso

Model Type T- Spirit D4D

Body Type 5 door

Engine size 2.0 ltr

Transmission Manual

Year of Manufacture Sept. 2004

Mileage 30k

Condition Excellent

What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? £16,000

The aussie equivalent is the GLX/Ultima which I know is about 36-40,000 A$

We oringinally bought the car for £19,633 and have the paperwork to prove it. Do they work out how much it's worth there or here when doing the tax thing??? So confused:wacko:

Thanks in advance,

Helenx

Guest beermeister
Hi Al could you help me with my baby' date=' tried working it out failed miserably.

Make Toyota

Model Avensis Verso

Model Type T- Spirit D4D

Body Type 5 door

Engine size 2.0 ltr

Transmission Manual

Year of Manufacture Sept. 2004

Mileage 30k

Condition Excellent

What [i']you[/i] believe the car is worth in the UK ? £16,000

I'm not trying to insult you, but do you think it's really worth £16K? I don't know anything about the Avensis, but I'm trying to sell my 2005 Mazda 6 with 49K miles that I bought for £14K and I can't even get £5K for it, and it's in immaculate condition. So, my Mazda 6 has depreciated by about 65% in 3 years whereas you estimate that your Avensis has only depreciated by less than 20% in 4 years. If it's true, I think I'll buy an Avensis next time.

Guest the terry's

Hi Beermeister, not trying to insult you but.... my Avensis Verso is top of it's range with 7 seats, sat nav, air conditioning front and rear and also rear heating for the passenger's in the back seats, plus other extra's and yes I did do my research and looked the price up in Glass's, and I am looking to export it not sell it here.

Helenx

Hi Beermeister' date=' not trying to insult you but.... my Avensis Verso is top of it's range with 7 seats, sat nav, air conditioning front and rear and also rear heating for the passenger's in the back seats, plus other extra's and yes I did do my research and looked the price up in Glass's, and I am looking to export it not sell it here.

Helenx[/quote']

wELL DO YOU RESEARCH AND SEE ABOUT IMPORT AND CONVERTING IT TO OZ SPEC AND HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF TROUBLE NO WARRANTY SO MEGABUCKS

Guest the terry's
wELL DO YOU RESEARCH AND SEE ABOUT IMPORT AND CONVERTING IT TO OZ SPEC AND HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF TROUBLE NO WARRANTY SO MEGABUCKS

I wanted to find out how much it would cost to import which is why I sent the message to BigApe, I did'nt quite understand what you were trying to say, perhaps you could expand on what you meant to say.

Helenx

Guest pasha02

Hi Helen,

You will find that a lot of people on here will tend to be on the negative side of things when you talk about importing your car, i just took delivery of our car last Fri, imported from Scotland, and it is not as scary or difficult as some people will have you believe, my advice to you is to check various car web sites here to see what the same car with same spec would cost, your car will not be the same value as these though as being an import it will be valued less, you also have to factor in the associated costs of which there are many i.e shipping, stamp duty , customs etc etc, a ball park figure for this is app £3500/4000. If you really have your heart set on bringing your car i would be happy to provide you with a detailed breakdown of all procedures/costs, the people i used for shipping, customs agents, and compliance garage, they did a great job for me, and 10 weeks after i dropped the car off at Southhampton i was driving it around sunnie Brisbane.

Regards

Paul

Guest VFRHOCKS

Paul,

Any chance you can post on her the break down or PM me please.

Looking at taking my bike over, I have spent loads on it but getting the impression that the best way to take it is to break it down and take it as spaers and re build it over there.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Helen,

You will find that a lot of people on here will tend to be on the negative side of things when you talk about importing your car, i just took delivery of our car last Fri, imported from Scotland, and it is not as scary or difficult as some people will have you believe, my advice to you is to check various car web sites here to see what the same car with same spec would cost, your car will not be the same value as these though as being an import it will be valued less, you also have to factor in the associated costs of which there are many i.e shipping, stamp duty , customs etc etc, a ball park figure for this is app £3500/4000. If you really have your heart set on bringing your car i would be happy to provide you with a detailed breakdown of all procedures/costs, the people i used for shipping, customs agents, and compliance garage, they did a great job for me, and 10 weeks after i dropped the car off at Southhampton i was driving it around sunnie Brisbane.

Regards

Paul

Archived